These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 Particular Band "Sound" Help
by cprice515 on 2009-07-22 03:34:54

I have been playing guitar for some time now but have never had the $ to afford alot of pedals. Now that i have the nice amp, guitar, and an M13, i need some help on getting particular sounds out of the M13 since i am trying to use it for a cover band and we would like to be fairly close to the original sound. I have never been great at getting a good sound out of my pedals since I have never had many or even used the ones i had.

Is there anywhere that has a "list" or chart of particular effects and their parameters to get a particular band's sound?

Or would anyone be interested in starting a discussion where individual effects and their respective levels could be posted for a particular sound?

Or is there a site where i could find what each pedal will do to the sound of a guitar so that i dont have to try each one in every possible 4 combo?

Any help would be great with this guys!

A few bands we are covering include:

Alien Ant Farm

CKY

MuteMath

Radiohead

AC/DC

Boston

Audioslave

Jet

The Fratellis

Muse

Foo Fighters

Anberlin

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

(widespread sounds i know lol)

Note to Line6:

A section of the Line6 website where you could post a breakdown of the effects used to create certain band-specific "Patches" in your other effects products would be very useful!

Re: M13 Particular Band "Sound" Help
by phil_m on 2009-07-22 05:18:02

I think that trying to use the M13 as a way to match other player's tones is ultimately going to lead to a lot of frustration.  Signature tones are more a product of the amp, guitar, and pickup selection than anything else.  I guess using some of the dirt models on the M13 will get part of the way to the tone your looking for, but I think you'd be much better off spending your time making your rig sound as best as it can rather than copying other players.  If you really need to nail tones for a cover band situation, you may want to look at the POD stuff and the CustomTone site.

I tend to think that as long as your in the general neighborhood of tone for a cover, you'll be OK.  As long as you get the riff right, and the audience can generally recognize what you're doing, it's all good.  Unless you're a true tribute band, it's better to make the song your anyway.

If you're looking for help with things like delay times and such, your best bet would be to name specific songs.

by cprice515 on 2009-07-22 06:50:18

Yeah, I guess i should have worded my situation more like

"I have bands where i really like there tones, and i cant seem to get decent tones cause im not sure which parameter to change on a pedal to achieve the desired effect on the overall sound. Or perhaps which pedal i should add to the loop."

by phil_m on 2009-07-22 07:14:47

This site shows what a lot of guitarists from a lot of bands are actually playing through, so it may be a good place to start.  As far as specific settings, I'd say it's a combination of experimenting and experience.  It will be worth your while to simply take some time and see what the different parameters of the effects on the M13 do. Eventually you'll get used to what the different effects sound like and you'll start to pick them out on songs.

I know that this probably isn't the answer you wanted, but I think in the long run it's always better to figure stuff out for yourself rather than rely on someone else's interpretation.  This site gives a pretty good basic explanation of what different effects actually do.

by cprice515 on 2009-07-22 13:36:26

Thanks Phil

Those site were pretty useful, i guess now i just need to figure out with the different parameters of each pedal do, such as the effects of changing the "filter" "mid" "comp" or "tone" of different pedals.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.