These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve MK II Speculation Thread
by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-24 14:05:09

Okay, so it's apparently coming.  Anyone want to indulge in some modest speculation?

What kind of speaker do you think the combos will come with?  I didn't notice a mention on that brief store listing.  Do you think Line6 tuned in to any of the discussion here on speaker replacement in the combos?  Seems like there was a good consensus on just about anything besides the Vintage 30s.

By the way, here's the cached text from that web site:

SPIDER VALVE 212-MK2

SPIDER VALVE FEATURE:

• Tube Power Section Designed by Reinhold Bogner - Benefit: All of the warmthand punch of a great tube amp from one of the top names in boutique tube amplifier design.
  • 16 Revamped  Models from POD®X3 - Benefit: Better sounding and better feeling amp models are optimized for the Bogner tube section.  Truly the best of both worlds!
  • Complete Control of 20 Premium FX - Benefit: Enjoy deep editing of POD X3 quality FX, with the ability to edit up to 6 FX parameters.  Route any effect Pre or Post for unmatched flexibility.  Use up to 4 FX at a time.
  • More User Presets and Improved Preset Navigation - Benefit: Over 128 User Presets for storing custom settings.  Bigger LCD display, and improved menu navigation.
  • On-Board Looper and Other Premium FX - Benefit: Improvise over loops, explore new timbres with the intelligent harmonizer, pitch shifter, and auto-wah.  Get even greater control with FBV.
  • Seamless FBV Integration - Benefit: The FBV Shortboardis essential for controlling Spider Valve on Stage.  The FBV Express adds additional FX like Volume/Wah.
  • Upgradeable Amp Platform via FBV Mk II - Benefit: FBV Mk II Foot Controllers feature USB connections and open possibility for future firmware upgrades.
  • 128 User Presets - Benefit: Gigging with the rock cover band, the jazz trio and the metal project?  SV Mk II has you covered with 100+ User Programmable Presets.
  • Performance Mode or Studio Direct Mode - Benefit: In Performance mode, the XLR direct out is tapped off the transformer, capturing tube interaction (Master Volume will affect Direct Out).  Studio Direct mode eliminates the tube interaction
  • MIDI Compatibility - Benefit: MIDI In/Out jacks allow for integration with traditional channel switching systems.

Re: Spider Valve MK II Speculation Thread
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-24 14:08:26

Usually the next step is to look for a count down to appear on the Vettaville.nl site.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-24 14:16:42

Yep, nothing there.  Even about the Spider IV.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-24 16:04:04

THIS is what the first run of SV's should have been! Any price point? More than likely it is all true, methinks our ship has arrived!! As far as speakers go, they should just make a 2x12 and 4x12 cab with different speakers or at least give the option to choose. Any word on the preamp, revamped, SV Pre, ?? I really like the direct out option! I really hope they make the 40 watt in a head....

This will put Line 6 over the top....congrats fellas!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-24 20:25:46

Your right cgtrox, this is what the SV should have been the 1st time around. Sounds pretty promising. Just when I thought I was pretty much set, except the need  for a few outboard pedals. A 40 or 50 watt head would be pretty cool and may be what I'd opt for if they do. It would be nice if they closed the cabs on the combo's or offered them open or closed. I was a part of the thread couple years ago about IH's when they offically said forget it , they have no interest in it, so that is a pleasant surprise and a big plus for me. I just hope it tracks better than the Bender and some of those Synth effects. 

by cgtrox on 2009-07-24 20:49:41

Yeah, back when the PODxt was brand new, we were asking for two amps at once, IH, more, more, more! They were telling us the PODxt was too small to do anymore, in other words, it was at full capacity. Then, they came out with Model Packs! I know for a fact they were trying to get the IH to work back then, too. Alas, to no avail... Then, I was expecting it in the PODX3, but no. Good to see they've got it down! Even if it does just minors and majors, it's cool.

I have been shopping for a chorus pedal lately (already picked the strymon for comp/boost) but now I don't think we'll need it! Well, I will prolly still get the strymon. Keep your shortboards!

cgtrox

p.s. Dude I really like that "V" in your new pic! Gibson? The knobs kinda throw me off....

by cgtrox on 2009-07-25 06:35:22

The great thing about Line 6 is that they really do listen to what we have to say, they actually participate a lot here on the forums.

Oh, I found the price points, too...

Looks like...

the HD100 will be $949.00

the 2x12 will be $999.00

the 1x12 will be $849.00

that's retail of course, so the countdown begins...

cgtrox

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-25 06:46:02

cgtrox wrote:

Looks like...

the HD100 will be $949.00

the 2x12 will be $999.00

the 1x12 will be $849.00

Looks like just a bit less than current:

MSRP

HD100 = $1259

212 = $1259

112 = $1119

Hard to tell, though.  The retail prices were inflated a bit for a few months and those might be the higher ones.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-25 06:55:45

Whoa! Man, they really are stepping into the big boy arena! But alas, still no 40 watt head...

cgtrox

by capoeiraesp on 2009-07-25 07:42:54

Is this for real? Any word on what the 4 extra amp models will be?

by cgtrox on 2009-07-25 07:59:41

I'm just happy about the effects!! All of the potential in the shortboard and this amp will now be realized!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-25 08:18:14

Thanks, you're right it's an 84' Gibson V. They made them out of alder, which I think sounds better than the mahogany ones(I have a 99' Gibson Gothic V so I do know the difference). Those years didn't have a pickguard, triangle knob configuration and a Gibson Kahler bridge. I threw a couple EMG's in it and put in another knob so that I can have a volume and tone for each pickup.

I have short list of pedals that I was going to get, I think I might just sit tight for a little bit. I may still get noise gate. Any opinions a on a MXR Smart Gate? That's where I'm leaning.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-25 09:26:15

capoeiraesp wrote:

Is this for real?

Yep, pretty sure of that.  I'd gotten wind of the Spider IV a couple of months ago, as well as the FBV MKII.  So it's no surprise they'd upgrade the SV to the Spider IV platform.  I was just hoping for a few more years out of the SV before something new came along.  But with support for the Vetta going away and the Flextones showing their age, Line6 had to step it up somewhere.  And since the SV is probably a better seller than the Vetta ever was, it makes sense to have that be the "flagship" for a while.  But they weren't going to do that on the current build.

Should be a super amp.  Looks like it has all the features we asked for.  Here's hoping the implementation is good.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-25 09:28:11

I had a real short list, too! But this announcement is putting my search on hold for now. I saw the MXR gate and I really liked it, has a lot of extras on it. I also like the one Karl got, very nice! I was down to a chorus and a comp/boost. I got the delay to be passable using the "tap" on the SV. I will still prolly get the strymon to use for recording, too. Looks like a really nice pedal. For now, just hanging on, what's one more month?

cgtrox

by GoD_X on 2009-07-25 13:36:35

if this is true im definetly selling my sv212.. im just about to buy the tc electornics g-system.. and if the new SV has midi i could control channel switching with the gsystem.. hopefully all is true.. thanks for the good news..!! i'll just sell my podx3, shortboard and SV212..

by flyjones on 2009-07-25 19:54:07

Those specs sound pretty good. No mention of a tube preamp though. Strymon might have another market opportunity. I'm glad to hear that they revamped the amp models. I was getting some pretty great tones with some, but on other models it was pretty hard to find a sweet spot. If true, the intelligent pitch shifter will be a welcome addition. I already have a speaker for it since I bought a few finding the right one for my current SV. I still might try an alnico Blue Dog from Weber. I have the ceramic Blue Dog in my SV now, and it sounds great. The alnico is supposed to break up a little sooner. The FBV MKII sounds intriguing. I read that they would be available in September. I have to say that I'm pretty excited about this. The first SV was an excellent near miss in some areas. The MKII might be dead on.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-25 21:06:07

flyjones wrote:

I'm glad to hear that they revamped the amp models. I was getting some pretty great tones with some, but on other models it was pretty hard to find a sweet spot.

I'm hoping for more offerings on the Marshall side from the X3.  J800, Plexi Jump Lead, J2000 #2.  Even something like the SLO-100, which is kinda already modeled, but not in a pure form.  I'm also hoping that some of those pre effects include a good Tube Screamer model and a Rat.

I agree with you.  As good as the current SV is, it was a near miss.  They missed MIDI.  Decent effects.  Update capability and patch management.  And a few key amp models.  But I guess they had to take an existing platform and see if this collaboration was going to work.

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-26 08:12:27

Hey, I had a thought. I saw the M13 thread talking about an update for it with a bunch extras thrown in. I wonder if the update is going to include the IH? Also, might there be a update for the X3 to include the IH too?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-26 09:45:29

Interesting thought.  Although Rich Renken said that no new models would be added to the M13.  Just bug fixes or feature tweaks.  I'm still wondering if the IH is a true feature.

I tell you what I'd like to see on the new SV.  Make the effects loop routable and switchable like in the X3.  Right now, it comes after the DSP section.  That's all well and good but for some external effects or processing, it makes the internal SV effects unusable.  For instance, noise reduction.  If you have noise reduction after delay or reverb, you get cut off.

by jshaffer21 on 2009-07-26 19:01:14

Sounds pretty sweet!!!!!! I wont be getting one after putting all of the time and effort into my current SV set-up but it is good to hear that L6 is listening to what the people want I can only imagine how awesome it will be, I would put my current SV set-up against just about anything and I am sure the new one will be no different!

by nprenger on 2009-07-26 20:10:26

I'm interested to find out whether the mkII will be compatible with the current SVpre. If so, I'm going to be itching to upgrade. It will be fun to watch this play out in the next few months. Just when I thought I had my perfect amp...

I have a hunch that the street value of our favorite amp is about to go down. If I decide to upgrade, the time to sell is probably now. But I haven't even heard the new amp yet. An interesting dilemma indeed.

nprenger

by 13bats on 2009-07-26 20:31:04

I think you should see some cool models ..

if there is a Deizel .Soldano , Bogner XTC I will be a happy camper

agreed on the drive pedals .

Seeing that the specs look like it allows you to have pre effects .I am hopeful we get a tube screamer .Tube driver,rat to play with .

It looks very very promising at this  point for about$100 more than the original SV were selling for

by GoD_X on 2009-07-26 21:42:40

well looks like this is really happening.. the SV212 is selling for $700 new, thats like a $180 drop.. so we should be expecting the new one any time soon cant wait.!!

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-27 06:26:53

I wonder when this is hitting the streets...I'll definately pick one up...I want pics now!!!

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 06:57:10

Sounds like late Summer or Fall.  How's that for nebulous?  Yep, I've resigned myself to upgrading my amps too.  Sounds like it'll be a great amp.

by supertacks on 2009-07-27 07:24:17

No!  You do not have to upgrade because it is a new product if your current set up works.  I will watch a new SV with plenty of interest, but I will wait and see.  Don't be a slave to marketing.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Use what works!

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 07:30:32

I know, my current setup does work.  WELL.  I just have horrible GAS, the likes of which no Beano will cure.  But I'll try to make my decision based upon actually playing the amp and seeing if it offers some reasons to upgrade first.  I love my amp and pedals setup, but if the new amp has some better models that let me have a more streamlined rig, then I'm all for that too.  And of course MIDI opens up a whole new world of possibilities.  If the original SV had that, I probably wouldn't have gone the pedal route.

by supertacks on 2009-07-27 08:43:45

Wives and babies are usually pretty good cures for GAS.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 08:59:13

One wife and three kids.  Hasn't done jack for my GAS.  Only got worse.  No more babies and certainly no more wives in my future thus far.

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-27 09:13:06

I've got a wife and kids too...still have the desire for new gear, although they have cut into the available funds! That said, I am going to get the MKII, more control over effects parameters, being able to backup presets and upgrade firmware and midi are a BIG deal to me...basically all of the shortcomings of the original SV.

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-27 09:38:18

I was feeling that I was pretty much set my HD100, but I'm definitely gonna have get the MK II. It's alot more ideal than the current SV. Like you said, all the shortcomings are taken care of.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 10:09:40

Speaking of shortcomings, do you think they fixed the knob breaking problem?  Or the loose pot problem?  And on the combos...my favorite issue...the Vintage 30 problem?

by Rowbi on 2009-07-27 10:58:03

mmm SV MKII

iwonder if line6 will anticipate that some users will have an SV and an SV mkII and put an add in feature to use midi to controll the sv mk ii and then a cable from the sv mk ii's fbv port to the old sv's fbv port??

or maybe space's dual control thing could be modified to work without an actual fbv pedal??

by cgtrox on 2009-07-27 11:25:09

I also wish there was a doable upgrade they could hand down to the original SV owners, but I doubt it. The main thing for me is the effects! Second would be the direct out and then amp models. MIDI is great but not a deal breaker for me personally. Still no pics available??

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-27 11:36:06

Hopefully they worked out the loose knobs and pots. As far as the speaker goes, it'll be interesting to see if they have followed our lead gravitating away from the V30's. V30's are popular in general though so they may just leave them.  I hope they put their own Strymon tube input in there. I'm worried about the tracking for the IH though. The Bender and even some of the other Synth type stuff has really crappy tracking.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 11:49:11

V30's are popular, but generally not in open backed cabs.  You do see them sometimes.  But there seemed to be a pretty good consensus, at least on this forum, that it was a bad choice for a combo.  Especially these.

Would be interesting if they did something along the SVPre route.  If not a tube, at least a better JFET before the converter.  That'd probably do wonders right there.

by flyjones on 2009-07-27 12:34:34

Whoa! Man, they really are stepping into the big boy arena! But alas, still no 40 watt head...

cgtrox

When I had a Marshall Anniversary 100 watt head I was able to pull two tubes, either the outside pair or the inside pair, and it was a 50 watt amp. One night one of the tubes went out at a gig and I just pulled the other one out and played the night at 50 watts. I would like to get a response from Line 6 on if this is possible with the HD 100. That would satisfy the folks who want a 40 watt head.

Line 6, is this possible?

by cgtrox on 2009-07-27 13:25:22

I said the same thing on this forum when these amps first came out and I found out there was no 40 watt head. I was gonna get an HD100 and do that when I needed to. It should work, I don't see why not. I ended up just building a head cab for the 112. I have a seperate 2x12 cab for it.

SV Head.jpg

th_Picture032.jpg th_Picture027.jpg

cgtrox

by phil_m on 2009-07-27 14:06:18

The Bogner Alchemist amps and cabs all have V30s in them as well.  I guess that Reinhold likes them.

I actually like them a lot for clean and almost broken up sounds, but I can see how they can be harsh.  They don't really give you a tight distortion sound.  Their definitely more suited for classic rock and blues types sounds.

by spaceatl on 2009-07-27 14:50:29

I would be happy with a 1.10 version Flextone III modeler bolted on to the Bogner Power Amp...Mono would be fine...Stereo would be pretty cool...Sound like this is close...16 fewer models, but close...Intelligent Harmonizer? That's interesting...Is that for real?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-27 15:04:34

@Phil: Yep, I was thinking of those Alchemists and their V30's.  And I actually do kinda like them for clean.  They are very crisp.  But high gain with them in an open cab is like having forced brain surgery with no anesthesia.  Ice pick right to the skull.  Closed back, much better.  But still very beamy.

@Space:  I almost doubt the IH is for real.  But I'm prepared to be surprised.

by Rowbi on 2009-07-28 01:06:30

hmmm intelligent harmonizer + pitch shifter.

I'm thinking that line6 has finially listened to all the users who wanted that, and have probably sampled some new FX, as they can justify doing it for a new product, as the finance guys at Line6 can then have a clear justification for the spend on R&D against the money they take for the product.

Of course once they've got the models, I assume it's just a small ammount of tweaking to get the same FX ready for the M13 and X3, maybe as a model pack... as there's been lots of talk about  the possibility of M13 model packs in the future.

That said, aparently there's a future development for the next POD which will be more powerful than the X3.  aparently the X3's main processor is used for the FX, and the DSP used for the amp simulations.  this is why the X3 EF aren't great... and even the same models on the M13 are better as the M13 DSP is just for the FX.  I imagine this is also why the axe fx is better sounding as it has a dual core/processor DSP for the FX and amp sims.

here's my source: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2302056&page=2

readpost 29 by Rich Renken

so I guess there's no reason to think we wont see all the extra IH and pitch shift FX in the M13 and the X3 or maybe the next generation of PODs, as if Rich knows about the next PODs CPU/DSP I'm guessing they're not too far away.  maybe something based on the existing X3 platform, but better (like the spider valve MKII which i imagine is based heavily on the SV MK1 and X3)

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-28 05:03:27

uh oh...he said "future POD products"...

by Rowbi on 2009-07-28 05:29:48

he knows

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

uh oh...he said "future POD products"...

lol, okay so that's hardly breaking news... but the important part is what the processing power will be.  he also mentioned why the X3 FX sounds aren't quite up to the stomp box modellers quality, etc.  btt if Rich is excited about it, does that mean the next gen POD DSP will be comparable with the axe-fx???  as the axe-fx standard is nearly twice as powerful as the X3 DSP... which is approx 9 times the power of XT... so I'm thinking a new pod would have the power in the region of the axe-fx.  but with line6's ability to shift more boxes than fractal, the price will surely be lower per unit because the R&M costs will be split between many times more units, and the cost of the hardware for many times more units will be lower.

that's what I'm excited about...

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-28 07:46:55

I like the direction L6 is shifting, if this is true. It kinda seem like they were taking few steps back regurgitating there old tech like they did. However interesting times seem to be lurking on the horizon.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-28 07:53:09

I can't wait! Like I said earlier, they really do listen to what we have to say on these forums. It's kinda like a free beta testing ground for them. Which works out great for both the consumer and the product maker!

cgtrox

by Rowbi on 2009-07-29 11:15:50

sounds like the spider IV will basically be a spider valve without the valves and a SS amp instead... but i guess that makes sense to have the whole spider series the same, with just the option of a tube power amp.

http://www.guitar4christ.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28688&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

here'sthe text from that link just in case:

Spider IV 75 a Great Product Made Even Better Based on Extensive Market Research & Line 6 Insight!

SPIDER III: WHAT WORKED

Unmatched Range of Tone with Line 6 Amp Models from Clean to Insane
Smart Control FX Are Easy to Dial In and Sound Great
Instant Rock Star Connection via Hundreds of Artist and Song-Based Presets
Universal Praise for Spider III's Look

SPIDER IV: WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

Better Sounding and Better Feeling Amp Models Using Revamped Line 6 Modeling Technology
Total Control of Better Sounding FX, Use Smart FX Interface or Dive Deep into FX Parameters
Newly Remastered Artist and Song-Based Presets with Improved Preset Navigation
New Black Aesthetic Connects to Spider III But Now Vibes More Pro

SPIDER IV FEATURE

16 Revamped Amp Models - Benefit: Experience better sounding and better feeling amp models, ably handled by a SHARC processor. Amp models are based on the top-selling POD®X3, and optimized for Spider IV.
Total Control of 20 FX - Benefit: Use the familiar Smart FX interface for instantly inspiring FX tones from POD X3, or choose to dive deeper and tweak up to 6 FX parameters. Route any effect Pre or Post for unmatched flexibility.
New Artist Presets and Improved Preset Navigation - Benefit: Spider IV offers over 250 killer presets dialed in and approved by real Rock Stars. We also added a bigger LCD display and improved the menu navigation.
On-Board Looper and Other Premium FX - Benefit: Loop to your heart's content, or go crazy with our new intelligent harmonizer, pitch shifter, and auto-wah. Get even greater control with FBV.
Improved Direct Out Sound Quality - Benefit: Many of our customers use computers to record, and Spider IV delivers a POD X3 quality solution with Spider's ease-of-use.
Seamless FBV Integration - Benefit: FBV Foot Controllers make it easier to practice and perform, add additional FX like Volume/Wah, and are an easy up-sell.

Upgradeable Amp Platform via FBV Mk II - Benefit: FBV Mk II Foot Controllers feature USB connections that will allow for future firmware upgrades.

Ive highlighted the important improvements. If this proves to be a scaled down podx3 with the most impt models with a speaker, its gonna rock. Of course since this isn't official yet, there may be some inaccuracies.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-29 11:46:16

Uh-oh, there's also gonna be a new FBV MKII foot controller with USB??? I'm guessing around $300+??? Does it mean the FBV is gonna be upgradeable or the amp is gonna be upgradeable via USB/FBV??

I think if it's a scaled down PODX3 with an amp like you say Rowbi, it would fall into the Flextone category, no? Why are they focusing so hardcore on the Spiders? They are also pushing this Intelligent Harmonizer a lot. I really hope it's all it's cracked up to be! Still no pics?? PICS, PICS!!!!!

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-07-29 12:13:06

Only one question really remains for me...Will these new amps make toast or not?

by phil_m on 2009-07-29 13:57:56

I'm sure they're focusing on the Spider line simply because it's their top seller.  The Spider was actually the top selling amp period a few years ago.  They sell a lot of those suckers...

by GoD_X on 2009-07-29 14:21:04

so this means no valve prea/power amp section and no midi.. so i'll just stick with my SV and install the SVpre.!! thanks for the info..

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-29 14:26:53

Check the specs for the Spider Valve MK2 on the first page of this thread again...there is definately midi, deep fx editing, firmware updates and preset backups through USB on the new FBV...I'm sure a SVpre will be available for the MK2 as well given a little time...

by cgtrox on 2009-07-29 14:28:26

If you are referring to Rowbi's post, it's about the regular solid state Spider IV, not the Spider valve. Look at Karl's first post, it's all about the Valve!

cgtrox

by cgtrox on 2009-07-29 14:30:06

... of any an all amps in it's price range!

cgtrox

by Rowbi on 2009-07-29 15:11:57

i'm not sure if i'm reading it correctly, but for both the spider valve MKII and the spider IV, it sounds like the FBV MKII will have USB and be upgradable, and then you can upload any amp upgrades to the FBV MKII then from that to the amap via its cat5 cable.

here's hoping it's just poorly worded, and that the spider valve mkii with MIDI will be directly upgradable, and be able to backup/restore patches (like the M13 can over midi)... although knowing line6... it would be a way of forcing a lot of people to buy the FBV MKII as well as the spider valve MKII just so you can get updates and patch backup/restore... as if they just put that in the amop with MIDI, no one would buy an FBV.  you'd get a midi controller instead, or use your M13, etc.  i hope I'm wrong about that last bit though.

by spaceatl on 2009-07-29 15:59:51

No, I really want it to make toast...Rather, I want to toast pop-tarts while I am on break...Everything else is pretty cool...But I'm not biting unless it comes with a built-in toaster oven...

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-29 18:19:39

Built in toaster?  That's just being silly.  It surely must come with a GPS built in.

Cheers,

Crusty

by spaceatl on 2009-07-29 18:26:19

Now who's being silly? If it had a toaster, of course it would have GPS...Then one would be able to find the gig and have a freshly warmed snack...

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-29 23:20:10

Hey, will the next flagship amp be the Tarantula?  Effing big Spider?

POD X3 style preamp, stereo SS power amp then add VDI for the Variax.

<a target=new href=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1411/1075030146_81fde20bb0.jpg"class="jive-image" src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1411/1075030146_81fde20bb0.jpg"/>

Cheers,

Crusty

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-30 07:09:03

You know Crusty that's a good point, it would be awesome if they put a VDI input on the MK II, I don't think they will though. Most people that have a Vax, have other L6 gear. Why not make all work together?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 07:59:34

Well, now that we've ventured into the realm of wild speculation...

What if they left it open to future expansion, like in the way they did with the original Vetta where you could add on the VDI?

I tell you, if the MKII is anything like what we're hearing now, it's going to be a competition killer.  There is nothing else on the market like it right now with the exception of the Vypyr.  And those just reek of cheap to me.

The amp still might say Spider on it, but gone will be the days when Spider also meant cheap, beginner crap.  I gig my Spider Valves.  Will play for something like 2000 people over the next two nights and while the amp might not say Marshall or Mesa on it, I know there won't be anyone there telling me that it should, because the tones speak for themselves.

I cannot wait to hear this new amp and the effects.  Much as I love my setup right now, having everything in one place is a cool option too.

by leadist456 on 2009-07-30 08:49:51

Okay, I know that this doesn't have much to do with the post, but I just bought a spider valve HD100 head from Guitar Center. I ordered it last week, and it got here and monday. It has not worked right at all, and I cannot return it for certain reasons, but I don't know what the problem is with it. When i play the amp, it seems to work fine, but then when it starts to heat up a little bit, all the electronics will kick off, and then it will come back on and i can play again, and then it will kick off again, and it will start to do this more rapidly, but the amp itself never actually shuts off. Please, someone, anyone who knows anything about this, help me because I have no idea what the problem is!

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-30 08:50:55

The VDI might be wild specuation, but my point was only what said about having everything in one place. I still don't know that I'd play Vax much more if it did, but I won't have to hold on to my X3L because of the Vax. I do think alot of other players would find it extremely useful though. I think the new SV is going into new territorty and gonna kick butt. I'm already thinking of selling my HD100 and using my X3L until the MK2 hits.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 08:58:05

Variax?? Dude, with all those badass axes you got, the Vax would be the last thing on my mind!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-30 09:20:52

True, my thinking for other players here alot more than myself. Considering the Rock/Metal that I'm playing with my new band leaves the Vax out in the cold. I think I recently descovered that passive pickups sound better with SV than active. The last couple practices I've been playing my Washburn that has an old Dmarzio Super Distortion in the bridge rather than my ESP Custom Explorer w/EMG's. Everyone digging the tone I'm getting with it.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 09:25:49

heheh...nice! Same here man, I switched to Duncans right before I got the SV and I love it! My son has an LTD EC1000 that came with EMG's and I switched them out to Duncans and he really likes it, too. He plays really heavy stuff so I got him a Screamin' Demon. I use the JB4 and a Hotrails in the neck on my ESP. My strat has the Fender Hot Noiseless pups, sounds really nice thru the SV!

cgtrox

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 09:58:18

Call Line 6 customer service asap...that is not normal and will be covered under warranty...

by leadist456 on 2009-07-30 10:03:09

Do you know the number? See, guitar center won't let me return it or anything, and I don't feel like explaining why cause it's a long story, but I have been so careful with this Head, so I know it's nothing I did, but I just wanna know if it's something I can fix. I need the amp by tomorrow, that's the problem : /

by spaceatl on 2009-07-30 10:06:05

Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy...Did you buy it used or something?

If you have a warranty you can get it repaired at a service center. Likely, you cannot fix this yourself...

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 10:06:33

Line 6, Inc.
26580 Agoura Road
Calabasas, CA 91302-1921
Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 10:07:28

Probably a special order...

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-30 10:09:39

I've never played Duncans, but I hold them in high regard. Somehow I end up with Dmarzio's when it comes to passives, but they always sound great so that's not a problem w/me. What ESP to you have? I'm not a big Strat guy but I'd like a ESP Vintage Plus.

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 10:10:51

Has anyone found any pics yet of the MKII...I am dying to see some in a big way!

by spaceatl on 2009-07-30 10:11:26

I have EMGs in my Steinberger bass....I like actives in bass guitars....I am all about passive pups in guitars...Dimarzio Fred (Bridge) and Humbucker From Hell(neck) is what I use in all my guitars...Before that it was PAF Pro...I had a bad experience with some duncan bass pups many years ago and will not use duncans for my own stupid and petty reasons...And where I need single coils I use stock American Fender pups...I do like those noiseless ones...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 10:14:03

Doesn't appear that any pics are out there yet.  The pics on that store website were just the current SV family.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 11:00:10

I've got an '85 ESP Mirage Custom, it's my #1. It had an H/S/S setup, which I hated. So I stripped it down, filled the middle hole and painted it white! I put a Kahler trem and the Duncans and voila! I love the ebony plank on it. I also sand all my necks to the wood, I don't like that shiny stuff on them. Check it...

ESP Mirage Custom.jpgESP pups.jpg

ESP headstock.jpg

cgtrox

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 11:06:21

Oh yeah, I like DiMarzios, too! The EVH1 strat I built has a PAF Pro in it and my old Les Paul Custom I sold to my brother a while back had a Super Distortion and a PAF in the neck with a coil split.

cgtrox

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 11:09:58

By "late summer" you think they mean, in the fall??

cgtrox

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 11:16:39

I sure hope it is sooner than later...I want pics now and a pre-order screen on AMS, this amp finally sounds like it has all of the features I have been waiting for!

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 11:32:36

That we have ALL been waiting for! Like I said before, THIS is what the first Spider Valve should have been!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-07-30 11:49:07

Dude your Mirage is sweet, I see why it's your #1. That looks like you did a good job on all that work. You sand the back of the neck? Like Zakk Wylde?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 11:49:47

cgtrox wrote:

THIS is what the first Spider Valve should have been!

I agree, but I kinda see now why they did what they did.  They had to make sure that the joint venture was going to be a profitable one.  So each side takes some existing tech and throws it into the mix, which lowered the barrier to entry considerably.  They probably had no idea how well the first one would sell, but after beta I bet they had a good indication that this was going to be a hit.  And when it did sell well, they went to the next step.

Like I said, I agree, this is what it should have been.  But I bet we all would have been waiting this long for it.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 11:53:45

leadist456 wrote:

Do you know the number? See, guitar center won't let me return it or anything, and I don't feel like explaining why cause it's a long story, but I have been so careful with this Head, so I know it's nothing I did, but I just wanna know if it's something I can fix. I need the amp by tomorrow, that's the problem : /

You understand that if you modded this amp in some way, which is what I'm guessing you're hinting at (SVPre?) that not only won't GC take it back, but Line6 won't cover it either.

by phil_m on 2009-07-30 11:58:51

I don't know.  I still love my SV...

I'm still not too wild about the idea of having all my effects internal to the amp.  Personally, I would have bought SV without the effects section.

The thing I always think about is this.  If I have one piece of equipment that contains my entire rig, I'm pretty much screwed should something happen to that piece of equipment.  With my pedalboard, I can plug into virtually any amp and within minutes get it sounding pretty close to how I want it to sound.  And even if something happens to some part of my board, I can still go on with the show.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 12:09:51

phil_m wrote:

I don't know.  I still love my SV...

I'm still not too wild about the idea of having all my effects internal to the amp.  Personally, I would have bought SV without the effects section.

I do too.  And I did.  Two of them.  The two big reasons I'd upgrade are for MIDI and better amp models.  Especially better amp models.  I'm really hoping for some more on the Marshall side.  JCM800, jumpered Super Lead, etc.  Staples that aren't in the current amp.  All the internal effects are gravy.  MIDI control would be great for having external effects in rack form in the backline, instead of on a pedalboard on the floor.  I'm imagining a DEQ2496 and maybe a TC G-Major 2...

The thing I always think about is this.  If I have one piece of equipment that contains my entire rig, I'm pretty much screwed should something happen to that piece of equipment.  With my pedalboard, I can plug into virtually any amp and within minutes get it sounding pretty close to how I want it to sound.  And even if something happens to some part of my board, I can still go on with the show.

And that's why I'm keeping my pedalboard and potentially adding some other outboard effects.  Not willing to put all my eggs in one basket.  But sometimes it's nice to just grab the amp and a foot controller and go, without having to set up a complex rig.  Having all those included effects would be a really nice selling point.

by phil_m on 2009-07-30 12:18:47
And that's why I'm keeping my pedalboard and potentially adding some
other outboard effects.  Not willing to put all my eggs in one basket.
But sometimes it's nice to just grab the amp and a foot controller and
go, without having to set up a complex rig.  Having all those included
effects would be a really nice selling point.

Well, I can see the whole things about grabbing the amp alone and stuff, but honestly, it takes me about two minutes to hook my pedalboard up.  It does get heavy sometimes, though.

I also wonder how easy it will be to edit the effects on the new SV.  If you have to hook it up to a computer to do things like adjust the delay time in milliseconds or set note value, that's something I simply won't do.  I need to be able to truly edit things on the fly.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-07-30 12:22:59

phil_m wrote:

I also wonder how easy it will be to edit the effects on the new SV.  If you have to hook it up to a computer to do things like adjust the delay time in milliseconds or set note value, that's something I simply won't do.  I need to be able to truly edit things on the fly.

I agree.  It better be easy.  That was the whole draw the SV had for me.  I do believe the released specs said something about being able to do either quick or deep editing.  But it wasn't clear to me exactly how the deep editing would be accomplished.  I'm guessing it will be on the amp, given the "larger LCD" item.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 12:49:45

Thanks bro! Yeah, but I've done that for years, even before Zakk came out. I did it on all my Les Pauls and even on my new strat! My wife was like, I JUST BOUGHT THAT!! She's so crazy!

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-07-30 13:01:57

As much as I hate you giving me SVM2 GAS I have to agree...Midi is very compelling...It's not that I hate you, it's just all the farting you have been doing this year... It's good stuff Karl...You insight is always valuable to me...

Using a variety of outboard gear is the way in terms of "ideal tone"...My Flextone III XL rig is stupid with outboard gear...BCB60 full of gain stomps and a parallel loop using a 10 space rack...Even an old ADA MP-1 is in there...Now my ideal rig is the SV112 and Flextone together with the Flextone taking care of the FX....Still have the BCB-60 but the rack is sitting there until the next time I feel like going back to the 80s...

However, I do have my XT bean and Shortboard in the shoulder bag and a guitar out in my car now for a rehearsal I have tonight...Not my "ideal tone" because I run through a fairly crappy 212 Crate...But it sounds pretty darn good and I am not dragging the Flexy or the SV around...

Even since I ran my Flextone into the SV power amp, I have an inkling of what this amp might be like and it will be very hard to hold that GAS in...Anybody need an old SPX-990?

by spaceatl on 2009-07-30 14:51:38

+1

I certainly hope it is NOT the..."...stand on one foot while pressing A and turning the mid knob to flip and you can easily flip the effect pre/post..."....That sucks!...But a common approach in Spider interfaces...I prefer a WYSIWYG approach on the amp interface...These compound button press-knob twists while you hold your breath is for the birds...

by Insidian on 2009-07-30 15:28:16

Anyone notice the "intelligent harmonizer" part? With the mention of the X3 models and such, one could assume that there will be an intelligent harmonizer in a future X3 update. Bout time! Been harping about that since I bought my XTL all those years ago....

As far as the MkII goes, now it's really catching my attention. I'm gonna be watching this closely.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-30 15:55:26

Dude, I've been making noise about an IH since the PODxt days!!

cgtrox

by nprenger on 2009-07-30 16:38:27

This picture may be somebody's Photoshop'd version of what they think the MKII will be, but it's posted on the website of the same music store that had the MKII's listed a few days ago.

http://www.nstuffmusic.com/popup.aspx?src=images/PRODUCT/large/ae00-10952.jpg

nprenger

by leadist456 on 2009-07-30 16:40:33

Yes I do understand that, I'm not an idiot. I just need the amp ready by tomorrow, and now I have no idea what to do about because the nearest Repair shop won't answer my calls, and I was just hopin someone out there might have had the same problem as me, and that it was an easy fix, because rreally what's going on is, the amp heats up, and then when it gets so hot, it just resets itself over and over again, but i'm not gonna take it apart, i just thought someone might know if the tubes may have been damaged in shipping and if i needed to replace them of what.

by nprenger on 2009-07-30 16:42:08

I just noticed that the amps only appear to have 12 models available on the left-most knob. This picture is a little bit suspicious.

nprenger

by mesamay2003 on 2009-07-30 16:44:23

I think that picture is just the old SV HD...

by nprenger on 2009-07-30 16:49:13

Entirely possible. If so, somebody must have doctored the LCD to make it look bigger.

It's possible that six models would still show up on the front face if there were 18 models included instead of 16. Wow, now I'm really starting rumors.

nprenger

by nprenger on 2009-07-30 20:18:47

All of the talk about a MKII Spider Valve really had me itching to play tonight. My wife, our dog, and our neighbor across the wall are all out of town, so I got everything out, hooked it up, cranked it up loud enough to warrant a visit from the police under normal circumstances, and started to play. I accidentally stumbled onto Bark at the Moon and realized that it sounds pretty good on my Holy-Grail-of-tone patch. I didn't play it all that well since it was the first time for that song for me, but I thought it sounded great. Besides, there was nobody around to hear it, so what did I care?

When I changed the pickup switch on my Les Paul to the middle position, I found that For the Love of God also sounds pretty good on that patch. I had a good time hacking my way through that for a while, and when I hit that final high-pitched note, the amp went into the most beautiful sustain/feedback I've ever heard from it. It wasn't a harmonic - it was the same note that I plucked - but it held on forever without getting softer or louder and I wasn't bending the string at all. Pretty remarkable for such a high-pitched note. It would have gone on like that for as long as I felt like holding my finger down on the string. I must have been standing in the exact perfect spot in the room. After that, I laughed, put the guitar down, and turned off the amp. There was no way I was going to top that.

I realized tonight that the MKII is going to have to be unbelievable for me to sell my MKI SVpre/G12-K100 112 combo. Line 6 - You have a tough act to follow.

nprenger

by Rowbi on 2009-07-31 02:03:06

leadist456 wrote:

Yes I do understand that, I'm not an idiot. I just need the amp ready by tomorrow, and now I have no idea what to do about because the nearest Repair shop won't answer my calls, and I was just hopin someone out there might have had the same problem as me, and that it was an easy fix, because rreally what's going on is, the amp heats up, and then when it gets so hot, it just resets itself over and over again, but i'm not gonna take it apart, i just thought someone might know if the tubes may have been damaged in shipping and if i needed to replace them of what.

i think what you need to do is start your own question.  most people ignore you if you hijack someone elses thread.  if you start your own question and explain what's going on (the whole story) then you may actually get some good answers about what the issue may be.

Rowbi

by cgtrox on 2009-07-31 06:29:30

Hey leadist, if you don't mind a ghetto solution, you should try this. It works as a quick fix anyway which sounds like what you need right now. Get one of those little mini hi power fans from Walmart or Lowes. I think they are called Cyclones or something like that. Should be like 8" across or somewhere in that neighborhood. Turn it on high and stick it up right up against the back of the amp pointed directly at the tube section or where there is a vent into the amp. Or hell, just take off the back panel. You may have to find a way to prop the fan up or just put the head on the ground. I've used this twice in my life and it worked like a charm! One rig I had was a rackmount (yes the 80's) ADA tube poweramp and Jackson tube preamp with ART multi effects into a Marshall 2x12 cab. The other was a Hiwatt Bulldog 1x12 combo. It should work to get you thru a few gigs at least....

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-07-31 10:48:07

My thought is that there is something up with the 9v regulator...That is what powers the mainboard and you say the preamp is reseting...Very likely you could plug a pedalboard into the power amp in and that would work...The problem with that approach is that your preamp is resetting...If the regulator is overheating and the preamp is reseting, that is actually a safety circuit...If the regulator actually fails, it can take other compnents out with it...I don't know what the problem is, but the symptoms you describe are consistent with a regulator that has no heat compond on it or it's just a bad regulator...Anyway, that's what I think...I would not power it up again until I could get it repaired...

The only other thing that I can think of that would cause this would be your power is whacked...You could test the theory by powering the amp on a UPS or some other voltage regulator...If the power to the amp is low, theis can cause things to reset...Shot in the dark this is...

by flyjones on 2009-08-01 08:19:51

It must be getting closer. This site has the MKII and the Spider IV pricing listed.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--Guitar-Combo-Amps--2591

Looknear the bottom of the page. No pics yet though.

I also saw two other sites with prices for the MKII.

by flyjones on 2009-08-03 11:17:18

I saw a page at zZounds that listed the "Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII Controller Pedal" for $199.99.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-08-03 11:20:16

flyjones wrote:

I saw a page at zZounds that listed the "Line 6 FBV Shortboard MKII Controller Pedal" for $199.99.

I hope this doesn't mean that they've cheaped out on the switches or other construction on that thing.  Because the original is a tank.

by cgtrox on 2009-08-03 11:34:45

I know man, I bet they'll be those big black plastic ones on the smaller FBV controller.... Too bad, I really love my shortboard.

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-08-03 11:39:39

Have you seen this Russian List? (Sorry if this was previously posted)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.ligasound.ru/www/uploads/LINE%25206.xls&ei=eS13SuO6OM7JlAeJ4LCQCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Spider%2BValve%2BMKII%2522%26hl%3Den

">http://www.ligasound.ru/www/uploads/LINE%25206.xls&ei=eS13SuO6OM7JlAeJ4LCQCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Spider%2BValve%2BMKII%2522%26hl%3Den">http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.ligasound.ru/www/uploads/LINE%25206.xls&ei=eS13SuO6OM7JlAeJ4LCQCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Spider%2BValve%2BMKII%2522%26hl%3Den

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-08-03 11:40:52

cgtrox wrote:

I know man, I bet they'll be those big black plastic ones on the smaller FBV controller..

I actually hope you're right about that.  Those aren't bad at all.  Served the XTL well for years.

My fear is that they'll be the same ones as on the X3L or M13.  They should have gotten the message loud and clear that nobody likes those cheap things.

by cgtrox on 2009-08-03 14:28:24

Aren't the M13 switches the same as the shortboards??

cgtrox

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-08-03 14:54:26

No, they're the same as the ones on the X3L.  And they get that crunchy, squeaky thing going too when they wear out.

by StudioTM on 2009-08-06 03:48:50

Looks like the current SV family, as Karl already said.

Thor

by supertacks on 2009-08-06 06:04:54

That has got to be a mislabeled pic.

by cgtrox on 2009-08-06 06:53:49

It is, for the MK2 to have the deep editing it is supposed to have, the LED has to be from the PODX3 series or similar.

cgtrox

by 13bats on 2009-08-08 14:54:08

Vettaville has just begun to countdown today ...

Here we go

by Insidian on 2009-08-10 18:56:51

Here's a question for all you guys that play live and own/owned an X3/X3L. If this new SV is all it's cracked up to be, would you sell/trade in your X3/X3L for it?

by DerMetzgermeister on 2009-08-11 10:01:26

Insidian wrote:

Here's a question for all you guys that play live and own/owned an X3/X3L. If this new SV is all it's cracked up to be, would you sell/trade in your X3/X3L for it?

I don't. I still need a portable, convenient modeler. And I don't want to get rid of my SV 112...

Maybe I can sell one of my livers...

by spaceatl on 2009-08-11 10:17:10

I think I would entertain getting rid of my Flextone III XL for one of those...maybe...

by Pstrat on 2009-08-12 06:21:15

I would still need a DAW for my laptop.  So the answer is yes but.    I use a Vetta and have never had any issues with this.  I practice at home with an X3Live/Atomic18 and it's sublime sounding.  If the SpiderValve MK2 sounds as good as my current home setup I'd definitely consider trading.     In all honesty, I would have expected some more upgrades to X3 by now.  Perhaps it's yet another filler until the next gen Pod comes out.   Having an all in one tube amp with X3 amp models would be very tempting.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-08-12 06:24:20

Pstrat wrote:

I would have expected some more upgrades to X3 by now.

I'm thinking you're going to see that once the MKII is released.

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-12 06:24:33

Stacked Dual tones, as well as the Posibility to send the other half of the stereo signal to another Amp would be cool, IMO!

by Insidian on 2009-08-12 15:20:32

Well, in my case, I mainly use my X3L for gigs. At home, I'm using Amplitube 2 or Amplitube metal to do most of my recording and practicing. The X3L is just way more than I need for live use. I probably dont even use a quarter of it's functions during a show. If the new SV has all it's said to have, that's all I'd need for live use. I do use the dual tone feature alot, though. I'd miss that, unless the new SV will have it? That would rock.

by sofnwhat on 2009-08-13 04:30:00

While it would be tempting to sell my X3L to raise funds for the SVMK2, I'm going to keep it. I have a Variax 500. So between Workbench and upating through the X3L as well being able to power it and change patches, there's no way I should sell it. Not only that, if my SV goes in the shop or is down, I can use the X3. Or if I don't want to lug my rig or can't for some reason.

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-13 06:05:35

Has this assumption past the "Speculation" stage?  

by Vettaville-nl on 2009-08-13 07:00:10

LoonyBin-Fizzbin

Has this assumption past the "Speculation" stage?

Isn't the reason for the thread the fact that one isn't sure?

by sofnwhat on 2009-08-13 07:00:52

I think so. I think it needs it's own forum:)

by 13bats on 2009-08-13 15:28:22

Good lord Hans .this is the slowest countdown ever ..lol just kidding]

I have my fingers cross that Friday will be the day ,it will make for a cool weekend

Please tell us the countdown ends tomorrow

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-13 15:39:50

But folks are selling things to get it! 

by jws1982 on 2009-08-14 12:44:43

I'm running two spider valve 212's right now, and I'll definitely be selling one to get an MKII.

I've never had a problem with the V30's in this or any other amp.  In fact, I keep coming back to them after trying other guitar speakers.  Also, I don't think the Spider Valve, like other tube amps, was ever meant to be a stereo amp.  I could see having stereo direct outs for PA or recording, but I don't think it's needed for the power amp/speakers.  Plus, I don't wanna lift a 100lb 212.

I do, however, strongly believe that midi connectivity are a must, and should have been there from the get-go.  USB would be nice too.  Storing patches via a piece of paper or a photo just doesn't cut it.

Also, the better modulation effects should have been there from the start.  They've given the SIII and SV such a bad rep.  We don't need numerous effects beyond count, just good ones.  They seem to have figured this out for this release.  Like another person said, a couple more common effects with better quality would really make the most of the SV/FBV Express Combo. 

I use my SV's as my main amp for live and recording.  The upgrades they're listing for the MKII are pretty much everything else I wanted in the first one, so I can't wait.

Oh yeah, SVPre already added in too!!  That thing is a must!

by GoD_X on 2009-08-15 14:06:37

i just hope the new SV has midi option.. i dont care about FX, as long as i can control the amp with the g-system that would be a seller for me.!! that way a can control the amp and my od pedals all from the g-system

by cgtrox on 2009-08-15 14:51:16

Dude, THAT would be a sweeeet rig!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-08-15 15:55:31

Hey, I watched the video and read all the info on the Spider IV here on L6 site. Pretty friggin sweet. I really can't wait for the SV MK2 now. The IH and pitch shifting sounds great too. About time, that's all I got to say.

by Feliks on 2009-08-16 14:24:39

Woah i've just been saving up money to buy a SV212, but if this SVII is coming up i will definetly get one of those!

So is there allready any news about a possible launch date or anything?

by cgtrox on 2009-08-16 14:34:11

Yup, same here. That's all I ever wanted! This is going to be a must buy!!

cgtrox

by 13bats on 2009-08-16 16:18:53

It is kind of bittersweet for me I like the Smart pitch it is a cool feature .but I really would have liked to have the flextone models .

we will see with the valve but I suspect same models as the Spider IV .

I would have liked to have a different Marshall instead of 2 plexis and would have prefered a Bogner XTC instead of the same Recto/Treadplate Insane settings.

The Divided by 13 is a cool addition..

I am just not sure if this really is a new amp ...

Maybe I am not seeing the fiull picture and the USB is intended so you can load future models into the amp ..

by flyjones on 2009-08-16 17:04:53

I'm not sure what amp you are talking about but the Spider IV/Spider Valve that I am seeing is unbelievable!!!

They fixed almost ALL of the issues that people were complaining about.

I have been playing out with, and modding my SV for over a year now, and the MKII has me drooling.

I'm going to get one as soon as the SV hits the stores.

by jws1982 on 2009-08-16 19:42:10

Definitely agree.  Compatibility with the G-System would be fantastic.  That thing paired with a great modeling amp would give some of the most accurate results possible.  It'd be so much better than a Vetta.

I don't see midi connections being an option though.  I bet that it'll only support midi via USB on the FBV MKII.  It'd be so easy for them to throw midi on a software-based amp too.

It seems like they could create an amazing tube amp at a $1200-$1400 range.  Higher quality components, the best models and effects, and more connectivity options.  I'd definitely pick it up.

by jws1982 on 2009-08-17 08:21:04

I was wrong. It looks like the SV MKii could have midi in/out jacks on it.  According to the potential specs, it looks like we could have it.  Seems like a no-brainer:

MIDI Compatibility - Benefit: MIDI In/Out jacks allow for integration with traditional channel switching systems.

Spider Valve and G-System = drool

by budstaylor on 2009-08-17 10:15:52

Hey everybody.  I'm I missing something here???  I don't see any mention of a new SV in the Line 6 annoucement.  It looks like only new amps will be purely spiders...

by jws1982 on 2009-08-17 14:14:36

Yeah, the Spider IV's are the only amp that's coming out right now.  However, seemingly-accurate specs have been seen on various websites for the Spider Valve.  Now that the S4 is out, It should be just a matter of time until the new SV is released.  We're all hoping that Line 6 has listened to the users on the forums, and have put the requested features in the new amps.

I know it's not a $2k-$3k amp, but I do consider the SV a more professional amp.  The current model is a great amp, and definitely has an extreme amount of potential.  It's not a jam or practice amp, and its quality and features should reflect that.

by spaceatl on 2009-08-17 18:14:53

Last time the X3 came out in August and the SV in October...That is if I remember it correctly...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-08-30 12:16:17

spaceatl wrote:

Last time the X3 came out in August and the SV in October...That is if I remember it correctly...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSPV112MKII

October10th, on this site.

by atreyu2112 on 2009-08-30 17:18:37

Oh damn! I was *just* about to order the SV1 head for that killer price of $449 - already have the 212 and the FBV, but it looks like I'll be sellin my Peavey Triple XXX head AND my SV212 / FBV and gettin the SVMKII and the newer board. Damn it!

by fester2000 on 2009-08-31 11:14:34

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

spaceatl wrote:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINSPV112MKII

October10th, on this site.

The X3's came out just before 10/10/07, if memory serves, and had been officially announced in July or August 07.  And it looks like the SV was announced officially in September 07.  Don't remember when they started shipping, or when I got mine, for that matter.

Cheers,

Fester2k

by StudioTM on 2009-08-31 14:15:22

This site also have October 10th as date

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--LINSPV212MKII

Thor

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-09-17 14:49:27

Self fulfilling prophesy?  I don't know if any of you saw this, but this thread got referenced as "buzz" by a company called Dolphin Music in the UK:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/news/news-story/news_id/3905

by goforth on 2009-09-24 09:44:19

So, would it be just as well to keep the SV combo amp and just purchase an X3 Pro or X3 floor model instead of buying a new SV MkII?

MG

by fixxxer3838 on 2009-09-25 08:47:02

Check it out gentlemen...

http://line6.com/community/message/74973#74973

by Vettaville-nl on 2009-09-25 09:12:28

So no more speculation, here's the pressrelease and added some pictures

http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=137#top

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-09-25 09:40:55

Did you get your hands on one yet?

by Vettaville-nl on 2009-09-25 10:32:02

No, not yet. However I played the Spider IV 75 and if they implemented that 'upgrade' on models feel and tone and the added fx I'd be very happy to play it and see how it hold against the SV + Strymon mod.

The models in S4 are totally different in feel and tone, that together with the bogner amp is (i guess) a hughe step forward as is S4 from S3

by astrosaki on 2009-09-25 13:21:04

Is the difference between the spider3 and 4 that great? I heard they were using x3 modeling for spider 4. what were they using before? and more importantly where am i gonna get the money i need to buy the new sv mk2?? lol i'll find a way..

by nightbubble on 2009-09-25 13:32:55

The Amp looks cool but whats really putting me off is the price! Dolphin music in the uk has the HD100 listed at £750!!! thats nearly £300 more than the original. whats up with that?

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-09-25 13:44:06

I am Fred (The Neanderthal) Compared to what the Promos are comparing my current SV with!

I love it!

by Vettaville-nl on 2009-09-26 02:01:24

The difference in Spider 3 to Spider 4 (Spider 4 75 and above) is high to say the least. There more feel and tone. You should try one  at your local music store if they have them. You'll be surpised.

That's also why I commented that if that upgrade is also in Spider Valve MkII, along with the more tweakable  fx, looper and added MIDI.

You don't get the same 'feel' from the X3 series in my opinion..

by goforth on 2009-09-26 03:44:45

Vettaville-nl, thanks for your comment regarding the X3, I do believe if I get one in the future that I will get the X3 Pro.  I recently purchased a Spider Valve first edition and I must say I do like some of the presents (esp. when tweaked a little), but there is room for improvements that sound like they happened on the new  SV MkII.  I can't see myself spending more money to get a SV MkII at this time.  I do look forward to checking out the Mk II at a local dealer though.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.