These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Settings for the sound of The Shadows (Hank Marvin)
by firefly462 on 2009-07-26 10:47:58

Hi,

I have a Spider 3 75W and for the life of me I am unable to get the right settings in order to play some of my favourite sounds by the UK group The Shadows.

Can anyone help as I'm tearing my hair out?

Re: Settings for the sound of The Shadows (Hank Marvin)
by Bluestone on 2009-07-26 14:11:39

Well...you'd have to start with a Strat...and a WEM Copycat echo unit.

You might be able to get close with the Spider's delay...you'd just have to listen to the Hank sounds you want to copy...and try to find it on your amp...

For the most part...Hank's sound is very clean...and just the right amount of delay...

These were the songs on the first solo album in 69, which one(s) are you trying to sound like?

Aquarius/ Born Free/ This guy's in love with you/ Tokyo guitar/ Chameleon/ Lara's theme/ The big country/ Love and occasional rain/ Georgia on my mind/ The windmills of your mind/ Sacha/ High Sierra/ Evening comes/ Wahine/ Morning star/ Sunday for seven days/ Boogatoo/ Would you believe it/ Midnight cowboy/ Goodnight Dick

Or are you going back even further? Like Apache?  My Favorite.

OM

by firefly462 on 2009-07-26 14:43:41

Many thanks Bluestone I'll give it a shot.

Best regards,

Pete.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-07-26 17:24:14

One thing missing from the Spider that would help you get the sound you seek is a compressor.  That Hank Marvin sound was pretty much squeezed using a fair bit of compression.  Compression takes a bit of work to understand but when you know how it works and how to use it, it can bring you a fair bit closer to the tone you're looking for.

Cheers,

Crusty

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.