These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Relay Digital Wireless

Relay G-30 Dropout Experience
by mikeller on 2013-03-28 09:37:36

I have had a G-30 for several years and experience off and on dropouts. When this happens the LED's blink temporarily, so it is a drop out.

My bandmate has a G-50 and never has had one.  My G-30 rarely gets thru a show without them and sometimes they are numerous.

We do use Wi-Fi on stage with a Mackie system for controlling our IEM's with individually with iPad's, however the dropouts started long before we introduced that technology.

My receiver is mounted to a Pedaltrain Jr and supplied with the factory powersuppy into a power strip.  It resides by a Ernie Ball Wah and a Rocktron Banshee Talk Box - both of which are also plugged into the power strip mounted to the surface of the Pedaltrain.

I change batteries before everyshow - keeping the transmitter in a nanotech pouch on my guitar strap. I upgraded the cable to a Mogami Gold cable with right angle ends.

I have several guitars I gig with (all Ernie Ball Music Man) and the drop outs do not seem to be guitar-specific. 

Finally - I rarely venture more than 10-15 feet from the receiver and most often are within 5 feet of it.

Is there anything as I describe that could be causing interference?  We do have several wireless IEM's and mic's etc - but these dropouts were experienced before we got all the wireless. Would an upgrade to the G-50 be beneficial?

Thank you

Mike Keller

Re: Relay G-30 Dropout Experience
by dboomer on 2013-03-28 15:09:45

Hi Mike

My best guess is that the Pedaltrain JR is part of the problem.  The antennas (4 of them inside a G30) sit horizontally near the bottom of the receiver and your pedalboard is metal so it is blocking the signal from coming in as strong as it could be.  The G50 on the other hand has the antennas above the box so they are not being blocked and that could enough difference to have the experience you are reporting.  You should try removing it from the pedalboard as a test and see if that fixes things.

by mikeller on 2013-03-28 15:42:04

Thanks very much for the reply - would mounting a 1" piece of wood between the G30 and the Pedaltrain help?  In otherwords I'd velcro a slab of wood to the pedalboard and velcro the G30 to the wood?

by dboomer on 2013-04-05 18:42:03

Glad the forum is back on the air.

Unfortunately that probably won't help.

by mikeller on 2013-04-08 07:37:33

I wanted to update this - I went to the hardware store a purchased a piece of OAK approx the same size as the Relay 30 and 1" thick.  I velcro'd the wood to my Pedaltrain and the Relay 30 receiver to the OAK.

I have played 2 gigs now without a dropped note, which is somewhat unusual. Maybe a coincidence but I am hoping not

Thanks again dboomer - much appreciate your time.  I will post back if the drop-outs reoccur - for the benefit of others.

Mike

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.