These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

More aggressive metal tone...tube screamer??
by Hirokotzu on 2009-07-30 14:22:13

Hey. I am thinking about purchasing a Ibanez tube screamer for my HD100 valve in order to get a more metal tone for Squeelies, and use it as a boost possibly. One of my favorite metal bands Bullet for my valentine uses tube screamers for both rhythm and lead playing.

http://www.handofblood.co.uk/media/equipment.asp

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/377/38/

Thoselinks will lead to the gear they use. Most of it is accurate but a few things are off. If I did get a tube screamer, could I just use it all the time with distortion to give a heavier tone or is it just a boost with distortion? I know this works great for a stevie ray vaughn kind tone but what about metal? I mean BFMV uses it =)

Re: More aggressive metal tone...tube screamer??
by spaceatl on 2009-07-30 14:42:51

Sure you can...Sv works great with tube screamers....Even better with an SVPre installed...My favorite is a DS-1 iwth a clean mod...That turns it into a tube screamer (low distortion, high clean level)...A gain stomp being a tube screamer has more to do with how it is set than the name on the box...

by pbear5 on 2009-07-30 14:51:27

the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster is another good option for a clean level boost.  I'm not sure about it with an SV but it works great on my XTLive--even with high-output pickups it still adds to the tone and i have it on all the time.

by cgtrox on 2009-07-31 07:17:09

Is that the one where you cut out those two resistors? There was one that turned it into a treble booster.

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-07-31 09:45:36

Yea, that's the one...Clip diodes R4 & R5 I think it is....That gives it the addtional level and lessens the distortion potential...If you want the treble, then you clip out C12 I think...That basically makes the tone control a lot less effective but it still does a little...I might have the numbers screwed up but I have it written down someplace...Let me know if you want it...It's out on the web in a number of places...The amount of clean level you get out of the pedal is mindblowing after this mod...completely different animal than a stock DS-1...

by DerMetzgermeister on 2009-07-31 10:27:44

The tube screamer is one of the most widely used stompboxes among metalheads. Use it as an overdrive to tighten your rythm tone. As you already use a fair amount of distortion it won't be effective as a boost (like in solos). It won't increase volume, only will increase distortion.

by supertacks on 2009-07-31 10:59:15

As send above, a tube screamer type overdrive will do the trick.  But it is only part of the solution.  Don't forget the type of pup and technique.  I'm only adding this because I run into a lot of younger guitar players at the high school I work at who pick up certain gear and expect it to recreate the style and sound, but they ignore the technique side of things.  Actually the SV on the insane settings should have more than enough gain with the right guitar and technique.  I always encourage my kids to expereiment and tweak what they have until they are absolutely positive they need something else.

by spaceatl on 2009-07-31 11:03:16

You know, there's a tube screamer or sorts in the amp...That's what the boost is...I have several tones where I have that engaged...It's a fixed setting, so I only find it useful here and there, but it's pretty decent I think...

by DerMetzgermeister on 2009-07-31 17:59:17

spaceatl wrote:

You know, there's a tube screamer or sorts in the amp...That's what the boost is...I have several tones where I have that engaged...It's a fixed setting, so I only find it useful here and there, but it's pretty decent I think...

+1. I have it engaged in my hi-gain presets.

Adding to the discussion.. The Spider have already obscene amounts of gain but the tubescreamer is usually not used to add gain. In metal circles is frequently used with Triple Rectifiers and 5150 and such.

The reason the tube screamer is so popular is that it "tightens" the tone.

From the Andy Sneap forum: "The main advantage of a TS is that it shapes the sound to be much more midrange-heavy. Amps get hit more by midrange. Your guitar sound lives in the midrange. Having a middier sound brings the 'meat' of the guitar out more to get hit by the amp, so it comes across more powerfully. Cutting treble smooths out the sound, and cutting bass tightens the low end, so the amp gets to spend most of its time hitting the part of the guitar's signal that distorts best. Too much bass and things 'fart out', too much treble and things get piercing. More detail in the full text, but for right now the midrange hump is what really makes the pedal worthwhile."

by Rowbi on 2009-08-01 03:18:37

high gain amp + TS808 = the daddy!!!

by cgtrox on 2009-08-01 11:57:56

I use it on ALL of my patches, works great on the cleans, too! Thickens them up nicely.

cgtrox

by JustDow on 2010-06-27 21:02:16

What do you need to set your tube screamer to to boost the mid range of the amp, as well as leave the clean channel of the amp clean? I also own an HD 100 and i've really been struggling to get a nice crisp clear tone that really cuts through the mix at band practice and live shows. I use a gibson explorer with a passive seymor duncan Invader pick up.

by cjanow on 2010-06-28 06:29:35

I've been just loving my Boss Blues driver into Spider Valve.  I set Blues driver with the volume on the maximum setting, gain off, and the eq knob on about 9am.

The touch sensitivity really picks up.  The harmonics flow out.  Even the lower gain models can become excellent for classic rock type tones.

This setting on Blues driver turns my Blues Blue model, (Vox Model), into an animal.  There's enough of a clean boost to get rid of the flabby bottom on the Vox model.

The boss bd-2 is around $85, and you feel like you're playing a different amp as a result.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.