These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

Line 6 Vetta II and Midi
by chlanz on 2009-08-03 02:36:45

Hi

I have posted this discussion before and my first thread is rated as answered, so I launch it again.... Sorry, but I'm quite new here :-)

If I connect my vetta II I have no problems using Line6 monkey - the device is detected immediately. When I switch to line6 edit I can't make a connection to the vetta.

After de- and reinstalling edit and java without solving the problem I have contacted ESI-support, because it seemed to be a problem with my midi usb device "ROM i/o II". They say that if monkey works and edit doesn't it indicates to be a problem with midi implementation within edit. Their advice was to buy a m-audio device if everybody says it should work then. They say m-audio doesn't use standard midi drivers and maybe line6 edit has a problem with their midi implementation. Does this sound plausible and will line6 improve their software sometimes?

regards, chris

Monkey - vetta.jpg

edit - vetta.jpg

Re: Line 6 Vetta II and Midi
by candreasffm on 2009-08-03 13:12:24

I don't think, that the guys  will improve anything. Be happy for every workaround you know... and use it and be happy! There are still a lot of bugs in the vetta software, which never will be fixed and even the last Line6Edit update won't fix all functional bugs (for example mic settings for the Flextone).

On the other side the MIDI protocol was created in the 80's just to transfer tiny messages like "which key" was pressed "how fast" and "how long". That's all and this will work with your MIDI interface. But in our case, Line6Edit and the Firmware update transfers a big amount of data, which - maybe - is not matching the standard MIDI protocol. Be happy that it works fine with M-Audio Uno. All guys who are able to afford a Vetta, should have the bucks for this blue box.

by AndyParedes on 2009-08-03 16:06:04

Hello,

This information is correct.  The M-Audio series devices seem to be the most robust of the MIDI-USB devices, which is why Line 6 recommends them.  It is also a good idea to make sure you are plugging directly into the motherboard rather than the front of the computer or a hub.  See the following links for more MIDI and USB information:

MIDI: Functionality, Control, and Connectivity with Line 6 devices

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4287

USB Connectivity with Line 6 Devices

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1484

Line 6 Edit FAQ

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3783

Line 6 Edit: Transferring Patches (Downloaded or Created)

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3584

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-08-03 16:32:29

The whole MIDI/USB thing is about buffering.

The MIDI protocol is designed to play an instrument in real time with correct timing for the MIDI sequence.  So, it won't deal with buffering where the data flow stops and starts as a memory buffer fills.

Most (nearly all) MIDI/USB interfaces mess up the flow of MIDI data by allowing the USB buffering to start and stop the flow of data.  If there is only a small amount of data involved then the buffering won't come into play.  Like when Monkey just checks what device is connected.

Only a handful of MIDI/USB interfaces will work correctly without interrupting the data flow with buffering.  The M-Audio UNO is one of the least expensive of the proper MIDI/USB interfaces.

Vetta users before you have experienced the same problems and have remedied the problem by getting a reliable MIDI/USB interface.

Of course, the manufacturer of the interface is not going to want to admit any limitation of their hardware, but ask them for a technical breakdown of how MIDI data is buffered compared to a native MIDI interface (one that doesn't route via USB) like what comes out of a MIDI sound module or keyboard.

Anyway, you can either persist with using the interface you have and not transfer data to and from the Vetta or you could get a reliable MIDI/USB interface and be up and running in no time at all.

Another suggestion is to get yourself a sound card for your computer that comes with a MIDI interface.  That way you never have to worry about MIDI/USB.  I have kept my trusty Sound Blaster Live Drive because it has MIDI ports on the front panel, I have never had any problems with MIDI, not ever.

Cheers,

Crusty

by chlanz on 2009-08-04 00:19:57

Hi Crusty

Thank you for explaining! I have never worked with midi so I had no idea of what to look for when I bought my usb device. It's just a pity line6 doesn't officially state what devices to use (in the pilot's handbook). I would have saved some money

I'll go and by a m-audio or maybe even a soundcard with midi.

Thanks

Chris

by chlanz on 2009-08-04 00:23:21

I was able to afford a ROM I/O device so money is not the problem really. It's just a pity line6 doesn't officially state what devices to use (in the pilot's handbook). I would have saved some money

Thanks anyway

Chris

by chlanz on 2009-08-07 05:01:20

Well, I just tried my new M-Audio MIDISport Uno and it worked right away

So all I have to do now is to get rid of the ROMi/o thing

I hope this thread will help others like me who just start exploring their Vetta and encounter the same problems...

by MATT1981 on 2010-07-08 05:00:47

I did the same with M-audio uno cable but my Vetta is not detected by Monkey.

I tried to install the drivers of the cable, eliminate the hub and make thousands attempts relying on the tips written above but nothing changes: my vetta doesn't work and its serial number can't be seen through Monkey.

How can I do to update the flash memory succesfully?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.