These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

s/pdif or aes output for variax?
by androidhead on 2009-08-06 15:47:05

I stumbled across a pinout for the variax vdi connector:

1 - GND

2 - PWR (7V)

3 - TX+

4 - AES-

5 - AES+

6 - TX-

7 - RX+

8 - RX-

It looks like two of the pins are the digital audio pins, and they output a plain AES standard digital signal.  Wouldn't it be easy then, to just make a Variax->AES adapter (or better yet, Variax->s/pdif adapter) so people could plug their vax directly into a pc for recording?  Does Line6 or anybody else make a product like this?  To your knowledge has anybody come up with a diy solution?

Thanks

Re: s/pdif or aes output for variax?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-08-06 16:05:29

Line 6 don't make a product to convert the digital audio.

Nobody has posted information on a DIY interface.

It would work out easier to get a PODxt Live and connect that to the computer via USB.  That will give you Variax digital audio into your computer as well as access to Workbench software for editing the guitar modelling in the Variax.

Cheers,

Crusty

by androidhead on 2009-08-06 17:06:53

Thanks for your reply.  I actually have tried the approach you suggested, but it doesn't work all that well for me.  The main reason is that the PodXtLive USB interface has pretty bad latency. There's no way I could use this for a live situation.  However, my sound card digital input has pretty low latency, so it may work if I were able to plug directly into that.  Of course, I could just use the analog out of my guitar and go straight into my sound card, but I have not found a great solution for converting instrument level to line level without noise (anyone is welcome to comment on a good preamp or instrument-level to line-level direct box).

My thinking is that this is a digital guitar.  It really has an AES out, albeit in a non-standard connector.  So there should be a way to plug it directly into a standard digital in.  I'm just surprised no one else has tried this before.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-08-06 18:03:16

Nobody has tried it because of the PODxt Live.

I don't know what you're trying to achieve.  The latency problem can usually be resolved, but you talk about latency in a live situation.  Are you wanting to record or perform live? There are many Variax users are recording using the PODxt Live without problems.  Did you adjust the buffer size and use the PODxt Live "Tone Direct Monitoring"?

Other options include the POD X3 Live and POD X3 Pro which have S/PDIF output that you can send a dry digital guitar signal through.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Rainer62a on 2009-09-28 12:37:29

I did it.

Rj45 Connector:                    Rj45 Connector:

Variax               Cable          

1 - GND-------------------------------Ground

2 - PWR (7V)-----------------------to XPS (TRS-Cabel output)

3 - TX+    ----------------------------Midi send from Variax 

4 - AES-  ----------------------------Connected to AES - Input of Behringer Ultramatch 2496---------->Amp

5 - AES+ ----------------------------Connected to AES - Input of Behringer Ultramatch 2496---------->Amp

6 - TX-     ----------------------------Midi send from Variax

7 - RX+   ----------------------------Midi Receive of Variax

8 - RX-    ----------------------------Midi - not connected

see attached File.

Attention: Variax must have min. 6,85 V Input (V500); Rj45 Cable will cause lower Voltage 6,5´V (If xps connected, Output 7V).

For Variax 700 its enough.

Greetings from Germany

more Details: http://www.line6forum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7751&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

by androidhead on 2009-09-29 17:29:38

Thanks so much for your reply.  It's really helpful to hear somebody has actually successfully done this.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.