These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Is it just me or does it feel a bit quiet on the POD front?
by chimp_spanner on 2013-04-09 03:27:57

I know these kind of threads come up once in a while, and before anyone says it I realise that the HD has come on a very long way from v1.0 what with new features, new amps, and several fixes. But progress seems to have come to a complete standstill, and it's hardly as if there aren't things that need to be addressed. How about using a cabinet without an amplifier model (for running real tube pre-amps in the FX loop)? Or outputting studio direct over XLR and pre-amp only over 1/4"? Or EQ's displayed in hz (with clipping issues addressed)? Or dry guitar over USB? Or phase/delay controls for dual tone setups? Or even a plugin version of the POD? All of which, with the exception of phase controls, the X3 could do no problem.

I guess it'd be nice to know if the HD Pro is ever likely to be updated. The silence is kind of frustrating. Or is it more likely we'll have to wait for the HD1000 or something? I won't necessarily mind if that's the case but I'll be so disappointed if they don't take on board any of the excellent suggestions that crop up on this board from people who actually use these things out there. If they are planning a new unit, I'd suggest that they take a trawl through their feature suggestion inbox or put up some polls as to most requested features or something. I have a lot of love for Line 6, and I find this newest POD to be the most realistic yet but it feels like they've put it out to pasture way too soon in favour of their other ventures (live sound and guitars).

Anyone else feel the same?

Re: Is it just me or does it feel a bit quiet on the POD front?
by Akeron on 2013-04-09 04:28:54

Don't know if they want to introduce a new POD stopping development for this one (I'm afraid it's the case) but I think that if the new POD won't have the features requested by everybody for this POD, they could have some problem selling it, to us at least...

by TheRealZap on 2013-04-09 06:21:33

I'm confident in saying that work is still being done, I'm not aware of any details... but it's also pretty obvious that they are focused pretty intensely on their new live gear... which surely has drained resources from other areas.

not sure that the 1/4"/xlr division will ever happen though...

that's either a hardware design, or an additional DSP cost.

that's my guess anyway...

i'd also like to see x3 style recording options over usb FWIW

by PRSGuy on 2013-04-09 06:36:30

From a business perspective it would seem to make sense to continue to support the HD line with updates for a bit. It is still a highly competitive product and the longer Line 6 can sell it the more profit they make to offset the initial engineering costs. Putting together a new product from the ground-up is expensive and unless it is earthshattering technology it runs the risk of isolating people like me that own a HD500 and will not simply jump to the next big thing. Having a repackaged HD to introduce a "new product" would have no value to me. Of course this is all just my opinion and what do I know

All that said, many of the features discussed in several threads make good sense to me...hopefully they happen.

by chimp_spanner on 2013-04-09 07:08:31

Yeah I hear you guys. I assumed that the money and time they invested in the Stagesource was going to have an impact on POD development. It's just a shame seeing how things were gradually getting better with each successive firmware then they put the brakes on.

Perhaps you're right Zap...the split output thing could be a DSP limitation but then again I can't see it'd be any more taxing than a dual amp setup (in fact, less so, as only one would have speaker emulation). Even if they made it for single amp chains only, that'd be something.

And yeah PRS - same here. I mean, being a bit of a fan boy, I'd still lust after anything new they brought out but having stuck with the X3 all the way to completion, I think I'd feel short changed if this is as good as the HD got.

I hope those feature suggestions are going somewhere! Things like custom IR's I don't expect to happen and to be honest, it's never really bugged me too much. I can just use plugins for that. But there are a small number of very minor tweaks and additions that would just give the HD that extra finesse and make it that much more sellable to someone who is otherwise considering dropping 3x as much money on an Axe FX or something.

by GTLazer on 2013-04-09 07:48:12

Likewise, I'm kinda hoping that the delay means there's a v3 firmware on its way, rather than a 2.2 or nothing at all.

by TheRealZap on 2013-04-09 10:46:31

chimp_spanner wrote:

Perhaps you're right Zap...the split output thing could be a DSP limitation but then again I can't see it'd be any more taxing than a dual amp setup (in fact, less so, as only one would have speaker emulation). Even if they made it for single amp chains only, that'd be something.

i think it'd be a great option, especially if it was per tone or globally defeatable... because then all arguments against it are gone.

by bjnette on 2013-04-09 14:43:09

To me the only real upgrade would be to a Kemper and even that has some limitations, well one. Only 48khz s/pdif out and an as yet unusable usb 3 connection.. Their FX while very good do not have the options of placement order like the HDPro/500 but makes up for it somewhat with a few global end chain FX.

Kudo's to Line 6 on the HD Pro/500 being and excellent product at near a quarter of the price. It is a no brainer and both were released around the same time in 2010. The Kemper is catching on and again to me the only competitor to the POD HDs.

I recently discovered that some of the FX that I didn't like on guitar sound awesome with a bass thru them.

It really is a stella product that'l be around for a while yet.

by meambobbo on 2013-04-09 15:58:24

i am hoping the silence is for a model pack or similar big expansion (v 3.0) but I'm feeling like Line 6 is kind of on zombie autopilot right now.  that said, I am STILL learning new tricks on how to dial this thing in.  So it's not like I'm bored with it.

But mostly I'm a little angry with Line 6 - I have made numerous small suggestions on how they could almost immediately improve their product, including known bugs.  None have been implemented, and their "PR barrier" remains firmly in place keeping us from ever learning if anything is in the works.

by TomR00 on 2013-04-09 16:47:58

Not sure how many engineers they have to work on software, but you know they are working on the JTV HD firmware update they had announced earlier this year.

by RipperShred on 2013-04-09 21:00:58

@meambobbo a model pack would be AWESOME. http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593be902d6/application/pdf/POD%20X3%20Model%20Gallery%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdfI was just perusing the amp list to the X3 and it was/is pretty fantastic. It's a pretty comprehensive list, and so many, many awesome amps in that list. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely lovin' my HD Pro right now; Can't get enough of the fireball, uberchall and SLO, and the Bassman for cleans is just kickin' ass! Even the Epic and Elektric are fantastic! But to see a Mk IIC+, jcm900/2000, silver jubilee and even a jmp-1 pre, amoung others would be fantastic. The 48 actual amp models in the X3 have some serious heavy hitters.

The HD has the greatest hits from the X3, but the XTC, Diezels, and 5150 would be smokin', too. I've got nothin' but love for my HD pro, but the amp model list in the X3 makes me drool. I would LOVE to see more of those X3 models make their way to the HD; I doubt Line6 pawned all those amps they based the X3 models off of, so we can only hope their mad scientist model creators are updating that awesome list for the HD.

by meambobbo on 2013-04-17 18:33:06

I would jump on a model pack.  I just don't think it should be their priority.

by RipperShred on 2013-04-17 21:09:19

Would be crazy awesome, but considering the last update only introduced the SLO 100 three and a couple "originals" probably not a reasonable expectation. I'd like to see the SLO treatement given to the bogner ecstacy's blue and red channels, the Diezel VH4's four channels, and/or the jcm 900 and jcm 2000. Considering that's how the last update went down, wouldn't be suprised if they followed that format  going forward.

by Chimera1to1 on 2013-04-21 07:45:49

I expect that as the KPA lunch box is coming up for sale now the rack version is out that Line 6 were caught napping. The HD is a bargain compared to the Axefx II but compared to the kemper its not so clear. I don't know if the HD has enough processing power to allow amp analysis. If it hasn't then they will be developing a replacement

by RipperShred on 2013-04-21 08:47:43

It's interesting how certain features are the make-or-break ones for people. I can see how profiling is a useful feature - it eliminates having to wait for new amp models from the developers, i.e. don't have the 5150II? Well someone who access to one just profile it and upload the profile and voila you've got the 5150II. With the lunchbox being cheaper it still doesn't entice me because it's still not rackmountable, so I'm no more interested now than I was before because the rackmount version is only a few hundred less than an axe fx II. I can't afford an axefx II, or a KPA rack. And as far as amp models go, what is in the hd pro at the moment is pretty awesome, and can only go up from where it's at. And strangely the HD Pro's been very good for me in that being a little more limited in amp models, EQs, and midi functionality it's forced me to adopt a less-is-more mentality and really work with what I've got, and has made me a little more forgiving gear-wise. Kind of helped curb my G.A.S. a little.

As has been said before, the HD Pro won best at Namm this year, so it's not likey they're abandoning the platform anytime soon, and considering the radio-silence (with the exception of the forum being spammed and them letting us know they're taking care of it) they're probably cooking up something decent. Probably the models people have been begging for and are essential like the 5150, JC120 (wich by the way I'm over now - getting awesome cleans with the fender models so don't care anymore, but that's just me, so don't be hatin'), MK IIC+, etc. Can hope for the Deizel VH4, and bogner ecstacy to get the SLO 100 treatment where they show love to every channel in the amps. Maybe revisit the X3 amp list and grab the silver jubilee, jcm900 and 2000, Deizel Herbert, and an Orange - maybe a rockerverb or Thunderverb 200 (effin' awesome amp) and we're cooking.

What the HD has now is awesome, but could use the above to make it SUFFICIENT, as opposed to all-encompassing/complete. people with 2500+ can have their COMPLETE amp-lists, just give me the preceeding and sufficiently comprehensive will work just fine.

One thing the HD Pro has taught me is that you don't need "200 amp profiles" like the KPA built in to get good tones, and really that kind of selection only feed the neurosis that we as gear heads are prone to developing. Unless you own a studio that kind of selection is counter productive - if you're anything like me, you'll just tweak tone after tone and never actually do anything productive with that horsepower - just tumble endlessly down the rabbit hole of infinite tone possibilities with no reason to every climb your way out. Don't fall into that trap fellow gear heads and music makers.

That said, after amps, I'd love to see better midi-implementation. Someone, or a few someones on the HD 500 hit list thread mentioned that it would be great to pick parameters, ranges for the paramters and assign them to midi controllers, which you can do with just about every other high-end multi-fx (boss gt, digitech gsp1101, rocktron voodu-valve and prophesy, etc). like pick gain, set min to 50 and max to 75 and set to the expression pedeal or even just a midi cc on/off. Being able to assign any parameter to any midi controller would go along way exponentially increasing the unit's versatility.

by phil_m on 2013-04-21 09:01:45

The rackmount version of the KPA is more than the dentist office version. It's close to $2,000. I'm not saying that Line 6 should just ignore them, but I don't know if amp profiling like that is going to be where mass market modeling is heading or not. I have heard good things about the KPA, though.

The thing Line 6 has going for it against a company like Fractal or Kemper is that they make products that are within the price range of beginners and intermediate players. If you think about that is where the majority of the guitar market is always going to be.

by RipperShred on 2013-04-21 13:12:34

Preach it Phil; 2000 vs 700. You're getting more, but you're paying for it, that's for sure. I've tried so many preamps in the last couple of years - rocktron chameleon, chameleon 2000, gainiac II, voodu valve, prophesy (big fan of Rocktron, and would recommend any of those units. they all do marshall style gain really well, I mean exceptionally well. Maybe better than Marshall IMHO, but I was after something with more tonal versatility) Pod XT Pro, GT Pro, GSP1101 (which I really liked, and would probably have stuck with if it had dual-amp capabilities. Not quite the effects routing options of the HD Pro, but the midi implimentation is top-notch and put's the HD Pro's to shame) and with the exception of the GSP1101, which is a little cheaper but with a few trade offs, the HD Pro rocks in its price range. I'm stickin' it out because with Axe FX Ultra's still going for 1500+ used, I think the HD's as good as it's gonna get for the money.

While people should buy it for what it does right now, and not for what it MIGHT do in the future, it's probably safe to say that it does have a future, and we can look forward to seeing more of the awesome amp models we're asking for, and hopefully better FX and MIDI implementation to come.

by Chimera1to1 on 2013-04-22 16:07:21

I believe the kemper is expensive outside Europe but in the UK it is so cheap compared to the Axefx II.

There are a lot of grumbles on the kemper forum about what they promised it would do after upgrades that haven't arrived. Buttons that still do nothing. USB for patch saving not PC software control. The pod HD is great for the price and I would agree it is pitched at the beginner/intermediate for modelling. I wouldn't go back to amps now but for about 2x the price of the HD pro there is a piece of kit that many mags have reviewed and they can't tell real amp from modelled. I'll be really miffed if line 6 releases a new pod HD+ to give this facility and level of modelling in a new product rather than as an upgrade to the HD. Its like expecting to be told you need to buy a whole new PC just cos you want to upgrade the RAM

by sloppyfingers on 2013-04-22 19:37:16

^ This is what I kinda wondered about and actually made a post about it b4..If the only thing that's holding back the HD from even getting better and more crisper is the dsp limit, than why create a new pod hd in the future?..Market some chip upgrades..Like you stated.."You wouldn't buy a new computer for more ram".

This would put Line 6 in a good light.Knowing that they are saving their customers some $$..Having said that, I bet that everything is integrated on the board, so imagine it would be near impossible to pull off...Let alone the logistics of upgrading the units.

by sliding_billy on 2013-04-23 00:36:26

Not just quiet on the POD front.  The last non-driver release was 1/28 for the StageScape (and I don't really count that as it is hardly a core product IMO).  Before that was 11/7 for the JTV.  Going on 6 months bewteen any significant releases...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.