These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Want to go from my POD300 to a POD500
by jhdesign on 2013-04-09 18:45:26

Hey everyone.

I'm an older player that no longer plays gigs, jams or records. I just get lost in my music for a few hours sitting in my lounge chair with my Les Paul, my POD300 to my right at arms reach and my amp.

I really don't use the POD300 to its full capibilities as I just go throught the 4 banks of 32 patches (or presets) using my right hand.

The 300 sits on a stand I had made for me so it sits about 16" off the floor on a slight angle. All the patches are from the Custontom library.

Now, after watching some youtube videos on the POD500, it looks rather complicated.

Given time, I would learn what I watched and try to take advantage of all of what it has to offer.

But to start out, if I just want to use the 500 like I use my 300 and just use the 512 presets, can this be done just as easily ?

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Want to go from my POD300 to a POD500
by TheRealZap on 2013-04-09 18:56:21

yeah, if you mean download tones and change between 4 on a stand... no problem.

by jhdesign on 2013-04-10 05:42:33

Thanks.

I guess the reason I ask is that the 300 & 400 have a simple 4-way button that is used to go up & down the banks and sideways A-D as you know.

I've yet to see a video on how the presets are controled on the 500.

The music shop near me doesn't have a 500 to test out so thats why I have to ask this.

If I can load & tweak 512 presets and then scroll through them and nothing more, this would be perfect!

by TheRealZap on 2013-04-10 05:51:54

for the most part yes... the difference is that those presets are broken into "setlists"

so they are in isolated groups... but other than that the preset changing is similar enough to the other models.

you might consider the bean shaped desktop version though...

pretty much the same as the 500 minus some input and output options... and a few bucks less.

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 05:59:29

The HD500 controls the selection of presets in the same manner as the HD300/400. You use Up/Down footswitches to select a bank (1 to 16) of presets and then the horizontal ABCD footswithes to select one of the four presets in the bank.

There are two related enhancements with the HD500:

- the HD500 contains 8 Setlists of 16 banks - a total of 512 available presets. Several of these Setlists contain the Factory Presets; the rest are initially empty. So before selecting a specific bank/preset you select the desired Setlist. This is easily done with a few button-presses on the device.

- the 4 ABCD footswitches can operate either as a preset selector, or as additionl FX On/Off switches. There is a global setting to specify which mode of operation you prefer.

The simple answer is yes - you can scroll and select the factory presets just as easily in the HD500 as you can with the HD300.

by jhdesign on 2013-04-10 14:07:37

Thanks to both of you for the help.

The bean might be better as like I wrote in my first post, I control the 300 with my hand from a chair. I don't use any of the foot switches or the pedal. And yes, I know I'm missing out on a lot of what the 300 can do.

As for the bean, the lack of outlets is not a concern as I just feed it to my amp.

One last question if I get the bean.

I noticed a lot less patches available from the Custontom library. Does the bean take the same patches as the floor POD500 ?

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 14:29:16

Yes - the Bean and HD500 (and Pro) presets are all basically compatible. Because of their different inputs the presets can't be loaded directly from one to the other, but there is a conversion utility here:

http://www.jzab.de/content/pod-hd

Thanks">http://www.jzab.de/content/pod-hd">http://www.jzab.de/content/pod-hd

Thanksto jzab, one of our community members here, for creating this utility and sharing it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.