These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD Desktop for live use. Advise please.
by Gandalf5150 on 2013-04-10 06:46:08

Hi guys. I'm currently using the HD500 and love it to bits, no issues at all with the unit itself. 

My problem is I'm currently working on cruise ships, and carrying the weight of 2x HD500s, (1 as backup) is a p[roblem.

HD500s weigh 10.6lbs each. That means 2 of them = half my suitcase allowence. (I fly a LOT)

So I'm thinking of getting 2x desktops and an FBV shortboard, or an Express MK11.

I have nop experience of the FBV boards and am struggling to find good demos to enlighten me.

If anyone is using an HD desktop with an FBV board, I'd be greatful for any advice/insights.

Kind regards Pete.

Re: HD Desktop for live use. Advise please.
by TheRealZap on 2013-04-10 07:17:38

The biggest difference between the express and the shortboard is the ability to change banks with your feet IMO.

(you can mount the desktop on a mic stand, with the optional pod mount to get around that)

the shortboard is pretty much what you're used to with the HD500, no radical difference other than the display in functionality.

especially if you use the looper or turn on/off individual effects i'd rule out the express.

I primarily use the express with my bass amp (LD400) because i don't vary those tones as much.

you will of course lose some input and output options with the desktop version...

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 08:01:09

I use the FBV Shortboard (not Express) MkII with a Pod HD Desktop, mounted on top of a mic stand with the pod mount as zap outlined. It is very convenient and virtually the same as the HD500 to operate. It's maybe even a little more convenoient because with the FBV you can use the Function2 footswitch to select Setlists, something I don't think you can do without your hands on the HD500.

The Pod Mount is optional - I find it helpful but you might find that it is just extra luggage (mic stand plus mount) with no real added value. A simple table to place the Pod HD on while performing is fully adequate.

https://www.globalfulfillment.net/gfsnet/line6/10Expand.aspx?ProductCode=98-030-0045

by Gandalf5150 on 2013-04-10 08:12:42

Thanks guys. That's a little more clear. I have no need at all for the looper, but I WOULD like tobe able to use more than one bank...is that what I'd get from the FBV MK11? I don't often turn on/off fx. I just use different patches.

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 08:19:42

Yes - bank/preset navigation on the Shortboard is identical to the HD500.

by Gandalf5150 on 2013-04-10 08:45:03

Can you change banks on the Express MK11, or is it just 4 patches, or what?

I'd obviously prefer the shortboard for functionality, but the smaller Express would be much liughter if it would serve.

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 08:59:32

Looking at the Pod HD Advanced Guide (Appendix B) I don't think you can change banks with the FBV Express MkII. However, you could arrange your banks and presets so that you can use one bank per song, with 4 presets per song, and then manually change banks and setlists as required between songs/sets.

(The Guide provides all details required).

by Gandalf5150 on 2013-04-10 09:05:36

Just what I needed to know. Thanks very much.

by silverhead on 2013-04-10 09:24:13

One other potentially relevant difference bewteen HD300 and HD Desktop: dual output mode. With the HD300 you can send a STUDIO output mode signal (including mic/cab simulation) to a PA/mixer while simultaneously sending a LIVE output mode signal to an onstage amp/cab. If that's important to you, you should be aware that it can't really be done with HD Desktop. You are restricted to either Studio or Live output mode, not both.

by Gandalf5150 on 2013-04-11 01:10:36

Thank you Silverload for your considered and helpful reply. The dual output feature interests me greatly. It is something I have over looked (HD500 does not have it) as an option, but is significant enough to impact on my priorities.

This is an important decision for me, and there are a few more significant factors which I have not mentioned, as I wouldn't wanna bore you all stupid, but I clearly need to give this more thought. I am not at all sure which way to go.

On top of that I fly out again for a 6 month contract on the 15th, so I'm seriously running out of time.

Many thanks for the replies guys. I shall think on it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.