These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD Pro: Preset switching dropouts via Midi
by bvaladez74 on 2013-04-12 16:56:07

So, a bit of background.  I had an HD500 a year and a half ago...and used it extensively.  I'm pretty experienced with these and with the 4 cable method (which is how I'm using this)

My HD pro is running 2.10 firmware. 

- I'm using this with a Ground Control Pro, so Midi.  Not via cat 5/with a shortboard.  MIDI.

- Running it with an Egnater Armageddon so program changes on the head and the POD...instant access to the footswitch numbers in the POD for certain effects via CC's.

- When I test the head alone, via midi....it has seamless switching.  It's flawless.

So my rig is pretty standard. 

I do remember when I was using the HD500, when certain firmware releases came out...it would affect a few things negatively like tones and certain smooth functionality.  I remember keeping mine running on an old version because a specific update ruined the seamless switching.  So my Pro is not seamless.  I have to moreso....use instannt access buttons and trigger stompbox style...then turn those I.A buttons off...instead of hitting the preset to turn multiple I.A. buttons off to avoid a quick hiccup in sound dropout.  This is behavior of legacy gear from 20 years ago from companies like Digitech.  It CAN'T exist today with our technology especially from Line 6 right?

So the question is....I can't be the only one that's noticed this...does anyone have any advice or fixes they've found?  Anyone notice the behavior with certain firmware over others?

I'd apprecaite any help.  Thanks.

Re: POD HD Pro: Preset switching dropouts via Midi
by jimsreynolds on 2013-04-15 01:58:25

First off, is your USB cable connected at the time?  If so, remove it and try again.

When you talk about dropouts ... yeah there is one but it is usually measured in tens of milliseconds.   Many people don't really notice it in practice but I know that some people hear it as jarring and very unmusical so fair enough.

The only thing I would say is that, in my observation, there seems to be some correlation between the order that you initially add effects to a patch and the order in which they are loaded when you select that patch later.   I say this because, if you have an effect with a high output level added initially followed by one with a lower output level, the preset can 'spit' noise when it is first loaded.   Therefore, not all effects are loaded simultaneously.  

It may be that you can partly reduce the discernable gap by carefully selecting which effects are added to the chain in which order.  Just thinking aloud here ...

by bvaladez74 on 2013-04-16 08:51:07

No my usb cable is not connected.  This is a global dsp issue even prior to stacking a ton of effects.  It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm using amp models, or bypassing amp models (with 4cable)...or whether I have 1 effect in the chain or 7.  My volume levels throughout each patch match as well. It also makes no difference in this case no matter what output type I'm using.  studio/direct or power amp head or whatever.  You aboslutely notice it in a rehearsal or gig scenario.  Just gigged with it on Saturday night.  Sounded amazing, it's just not seamless switching and in a pro live situation, it needs to be.  My HD500 I had not to long ago and my X3 live I had in 2008 were fine.  This one isn't.  I'm not sure why they'd scratch the basic architecture of the X3 live and start over.  The DSP on that one was able to successful handle 2 amp models, a ton of effects, sounded amazing...and had seamless patch changes.  That's all people care about.  The tones and functionality. 

Anyway, there are work arounds...but they're deal breakers.

by Chimera1to1 on 2013-04-22 16:30:36

I noticed this as a problem on my pro, I think, after v2 upgrade.

Whether I use the preset knob on the unit or select on the short board there is a big pause while it changes preset and it says syncing on the unit. Big glitch IMO.

by jimsreynolds on 2013-04-23 00:32:53

Chimera1to1 wrote:

Whether I use the preset knob on the unit or select on the short board there is a big pause while it changes preset and it says syncing on the unit. Big glitch IMO.

By design.  Previously there was a problem with data not syncing properly between the HD Edit and the Pod.  This was causing corrupt data in some cases and horrible squealing for people.  Now there is a more durable sync process .... which is unfortunately slower.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.