These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal questions
by Meteoroz on 2009-08-15 17:17:56

I have a few questions about using my Roland EV-5 expression pedal with the M13.

Would I be right in assuming that the 'Start' or 'Min' settings for the expression pedal would be selected when the pedal is in the UP position, and that the the 'Max/End' variation would be achieved in the DOWN position?

If so, then my pedal seems to be working backwards with the M13. If I plug into a patch which has factory programmed expression settings, the Max levels are all selected at the UP position, and the Min levels are at the DOWN position.

More weirdness follows....

If I program some expression pedal settings (ie, output level on Screamer) to be 50% at the pedal UP position and 100% at the pedal DOWN position (ie, for volume boost during a solo), then power the M13 off and power back on without the pedal connected, the setting defaults to the full DOWN or 100% level. Not at all what I'd want, as you could imagine.

It gets better. If I disconnect the expression pedal while an effect is active, leaving the M13 turned on, then not only does the effect default back to the fully DOWN position settings, but it completely forgets the UP settings. So if I plug the pedal back in, I have no variation between up and down whatsoever. This only happens for effects which are turned on at the time.

The EV-5 works perfectly, has never been modified, and has the sensitivity dial set to 10 (there is only one control on the pedal). I am using Expression Pedal #1 and all the FX are set to be controlled by Exp 1. The M13 is in the mode where it remembers changes to the effects, and scene mode is set to normal not latch.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Re: Roland EV-5 Expression Pedal questions
by MaestrosounD on 2009-08-17 01:23:44

I've used the EV-5 as well, turned out it just doesn't work as it should. My problem was that heel was always 10% and toe 90%; no complete sweep.

Now have the line 6 ex-1, works perfectly, hopes this helps.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-17 14:38:11

Do other expression pedals work this way? Can anyone comment?

by Line6Hugo on 2009-08-18 15:01:29

If you are having issues using the EV-5, I recommend using the Line 6 EX-1 and going over the following knowledge base document:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1472

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-18 15:29:47

Thanks Hugo, but could you tell me whether the Line 6 pedal also works the way I've described, or is it just my EV-5?

by MaestrosounD on 2009-08-18 23:47:05

I told you earlier; it is your ev-5. I had it and it behaved similarly. The Ex-1 works as it should and has the full sweep.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-19 00:03:13

MaestrosounD wrote:

I told you earlier; it is your ev-5. I had it and it behaved similarly. The Ex-1 works as it should and has the full sweep.

You told me the problem with yours was that it didn't have the full sweep.

If you read my post, you'll see that this is not the problem with mine. Mine has a full sweep 0%-100%. The problem with mine is that the M13 is expecting the sweep to be the other way around.

I'd like a comment from someone at Line 6 before I go rushing out and spend another $250 on a different expression pedal.

by AndyParedes on 2009-08-19 10:14:01

Hello,

As this product is not supported by Line 6 we will close this question, but please feel free to continue the conversation with other end users.

by phil_m on 2009-08-19 12:21:42

From your original description it actually does sound like you don't really have the full sweep of the pedal.  If you adjust the effect parameters with the pedal plugged in and they go to something different with it unplugged, this would be expected if the pedal isn't giving you the full sweep.  I'd say go with the EX-1, it's a little overpriced for what it is, but it's worth it in the long run.  By the way it doesn't cost $250.  They are $70 about everywhere, and you could probably find them cheaper than that if you look around.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-19 18:44:18

phil_m wrote:

From your original description it actually does sound like you don't really have the full sweep of the pedal.  If you adjust the effect parameters with the pedal plugged in and they go to something different with it unplugged, this would be expected if the pedal isn't giving you the full sweep.  I'd say go with the EX-1, it's a little overpriced for what it is, but it's worth it in the long run.  By the way it doesn't cost $250.  They are $70 about everywhere, and you could probably find them cheaper than that if you look around.

Thanks Phil, but problem solved.

As I stated before, the pedal is giving me the full sweep, but in the wrong direction.

I got a clue from speaking to a guy at Billy Hydes here in Melbourne - where, by the way, the Line 6 pedal does in fact cost around $160 - who mentioned something about the polarity being different between various expression pedals. After I got off the phone, I decided to see if I could rewire the EV-5, seeing as I had nothing to lose. After a couple of tries, I managed to get it right.

Now, the presets work exactly as expected, and if I unplug the pedal while the unit is turned on, the settings default back to the 'min' values instead of the 'max' values. Also, if I turn the unit on without the pedal connected, the effects also default to 'min'. Perfect.

So a bit of work with a soldering iron and a screwdriver saved me a couple of hundred bucks.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-19 18:46:39

Summary: Rewired the expression pedal sweep direction to match what the M13 was expecting. Question answered.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-24 14:52:11

By the way, if anyone's interested in how to rewire a Roland EV-5 expression pedal to work with the M13, just let me know and I'll put up the details.

by onesys on 2009-08-26 07:54:53

Very interetsed in what you did to get the EV-5 to work.

Thanks.

by Meteoroz on 2009-08-26 14:59:09

Take the back off the pedal and you'll find there's a pot that operates when you move the pedal up and down. The pot has three connectors, in a line, with three wires, red, white and brown. Just switch the position of the two outer wires and leave the centre one alone - so you'll be swapping the brown wire with either the red or white, depending on your pedal. That will change the sweep direction to match the M13 and everything will work as it should.

Hope that helps.

by onesys on 2009-08-27 04:44:30

Thanks, I'll try that out.

by PeterHamm on 2010-04-08 12:56:56

I love Line6, but for them to say this pedal is compatible, but you have to do surgery on it to make it work is ridiculous.

Please remove this pedal from the list of compatible pedals people. I wouldn't have bought the EV-5 if I'd known this, and I hate when a company annoys me like this.

Yuk.

by fester2000 on 2010-04-09 09:52:25

FYI my EV-5 works beautifully with my M13, so I'm not clear on why folks are having to modify their pedals to make them work.

Cheers,

Fester2k

by explorer_32 on 2010-04-10 13:16:20

yep, just bought one today and it works perfectly.

by rkellerhals on 2010-07-13 12:54:14

I'm having the same issue with my EV-5.  I get a full sweep, but what should be down is up and vice versa (in terms of heel to toe positions).  How did you get yours to work?

by John_J on 2010-10-29 01:54:02

My Boss FV-500H does not give me a full sweep, and also works backwards.

I think it's a Boss/Roland thing.

They're just wired differently and have different (insufficient) output resistance range compared to Line 6.

by fakenz on 2013-01-08 10:08:09

I find this problem and solution really odd. I mean I'm happy for you that this has fixed your issues but considering my experiences with the EV-5 and M13 I fear that you will have more problems in the future.

My EV-5 work fine for nearly a year. Full sweep and in the correct direction (the direction is adjustable on the M13 anyway so confused by the original problem). After say 10months the expression pedal would not move in a nice smooth, in synch fashion. The led bar meter would buzz or flicker and the end of a sweep. There is no problem with the pedal or the m13 individually, problem is that they are not 100% compatible. Line 6 expression pedal works fine as the the EV-5 on other devices.

My conclusion is that the EV-5 should not be considered compatible with the M13. You may find you have more issues in the future.

M13 is awesome. If you have great amps and just want effects that are compact and intuitive to use then the M13 is your best friend

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.