These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Line6 Spider III 150
by Sandman1832 on 2009-03-14 16:14:29

I just got a Spider III 150 and its been great until recently. I turned it on today to play it and after about 30min to 1hr it started shutting off, but the amp itself did not power off, its almost as if it was reseting itself or something. I don't want to asume its over heating because the cooling fins in the back were not hot to the touch. I there a breaker problem or is it a simple fix. I bought it directly from Line6 and not a local dealer. This has never happened before. To be spicific on what happens, Im jamming out then the sound total shuts off  and all the lights that light up on the presets shut off along with the sound for about 2 to 3 seconds then comes back on, but like I said before the power itself does not shut off. Again its as if you would be holding a reset switch in for that amount of time and then releasing it. It may be just getting warm but I have another amp that is tubed and that thing can get piping hot in the back sometimes and it does not do this. HELP PLEASE, I dont really want to send this out for repairs if there is nothing wrong with it and Im being paranoid, by the way I do have a warrenty just incase.                                                                                      Thanks, Sam

Re: Line6 Spider III 150
by lcg8080 on 2009-03-15 18:15:16

I'm having the same problem with my spider III 75. 

any ideas what's causing this???

by ChaChing on 2009-03-16 16:01:21

Hi,

-Try switching out the power cable. The IEC cable it uses is the same kind used on a computer.

-Try a different outlet / circuit at your house / venue.

-Try a factory reset: power the unit on while holding the A channel button down. You should see 'Factory Reset' in the display. Be aware that this will erase any custom presets you have saved.

If none of that helps you need to take it to an authorized service center which you can find here: http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/. With your purchase receipt you have a one year parts & labor warranty. If you JUST purchased the unit and are still within your return period, you may want to replace it with them to minimize your turnaround time on a repair.

Line6Sach

by dspmax on 2009-03-19 17:59:36

I had just picked up a Line 6 Spider III 75W from zzounds, and had the same exact thing happen to me after about 10 minutes of playing.  Tried several outlets in my house, tried swapping the cable out.  Finally because I didn't want to wait for repairs, I sent it back to zzounds for an exchange.

2 days later (amazing), I recieve a replacement.  And to my shock - the same exact thing is happening!  I've been using these outlets for everything in my home studio, and have never seen this problem: keyboards, preamps, amplified studio monitors, pc, printers, other amps - without any problems.  My house is new construction, so the wiring is new, my studio is on 2 isolated circuits, tried them both - same thing.  So what do I do, do I send it back to zzounds for yet another exchange?  Is this normal?

I noticed that if I shut the unit off for about 10 mintes, and then start it up again - I can get about 5 minutes of playing in - and then it starts power cycling again.  The longer the amp is plugged in, the more frequent the cycles get.  The red lights wont even come on after being plugged in for about 20 minutes.  I thought that perhaps it's getting over heated, but all parts are cool to the touch, are not near ventilators or any heat sources.

Line 6 - please help.  Amp sounds good, but there's so much of back & forth one can take.  Will a 3rd one work or is there anythign else I can try?  I've also tried surge protectors that regulate power, tried a different higher quality cable.  Tried this in both 15 and 20 amp plugs, tried other rooms in the house.  No go.  I hope there's something that can be done because now I'm almost certain the 3rd one will have the same problem.

I have owned so many line 6 products, and have never experienced a problem, and now two identical problems in the row.  Perhaps it's catching up with me??

Video of the problem attached.

by Spyfunker on 2009-03-20 07:37:59

I assume you tried this, posted from above....

-Try a factory reset: power the unit on while holding the A channel button down. You should see 'Factory Reset' in the display. Be aware that this will erase any custom presets you have saved.

Are you SURE they sent you a different amp?

Have you tried different guitars?

Do you have active pickups in the guitar?

Do you live in a house thats been haunted by ex-L6 employees?

~S

by dspmax on 2009-03-20 08:12:25

Spyfunker, thank you for your response:

Yup - have tried the factory reset, this was the first thing that the Line 6 technician had suggested when I phoned this problem in.

Definately a different amp.  I had initially purchased a "blemished" spider iii from zzounds.  It looked fine on the outsize, but i noticed the speaker was loose, one of the screws was out of the hole and on the magnet :-).  I do rememember some of the imperfections on the original one.  Zzounds.com didn't have another blemished, so they were kind to replace it with a new one, it was easy to tell.

I didn't try another guitar, but I did try unplugging the guitar entirely and power cycling the amp.  The problem came back in minutes.  I'm using an epiphone les paul custom silverburst with a pair of humbuckers (also using planet waves cables)

>>Do you live in a house thats been haunted by ex-L6 employees?

I hope not, for all the line 6 stuff that I've used - this is the first time I've run into a problem; so havent had a chance to piss anyone off yet.  At this time, I'm using the line 6 gearbox gold as the interface - and have never had any problems with the guitar

by Sandman1832 on 2009-03-20 12:42:24

None of the suggestions have worked to fix the problem with my amp.  The closest service center to me is in Cortland which is 60 miles away and that makes it a total of 120 mile round trip. My question to you is what are you going to do for me if this problem persists with another amp and if that one does the same thing a new one does. That is alot of milage to cover and time. If the problem persists over a years time am I entitled to a refund if this continues to be a problem with this amp because $500 is alot of money for me???

by s0c9 on 2009-03-21 07:00:59

I'm surprised you haven't been given the stock support answer to most issues presented here ... !!

"Time to take it to a Line6 Service Center"....

And now I realized that had already been suggested.. so I tried to DELETE my post..

NOT !!!  yet another thing I'd like back from the old forum ...

this is reallyy getting old !

by Sandman1832 on 2009-03-21 07:49:12

This is my first NON TUBED amp I have owned and I think it will be my last. I wanted to try something new and had this for like 3 weeks before it had problems. Its obvious now why my friends told me to stay away from this type of amp and told me to stick with tubed amps like Marshall and Peavey. Its quite dissapointing that something that cost $500 and IS NOT A FARELLY NEW PRODUCT would crap out so quick. If it does it again when I trade it in, this suckers going down the road. Now that Im owning a Line6 SpiderIII 150 Im reading alot of posts on different sites about people having the same problem. You would think that Line6 would have taken care of this problem when it first rised 2 or 3 years ago I mean this is not like buying a toy at Walmart and it breaking and you can return it to get your money back or exchange it when you would like. I have to drive a 120 mile round trip and PRAY THEY HAVE ONE TO EXCHANGE for this P.O.S

by darin506 on 2009-05-05 01:50:21

im having the same problems with my 120,i tried a different power cable and that kinda worked (it doesnt do it as often)..i took a fan and set it to blow behind the amp and keep everything cool and that seems to work,ive played for 6 hours straight with the fan blowing and it never shut off like it normaly does.i know a few people personaly that say the spider 3's are known for getting hot but i dont know...try putting a fan behind it and see what that does

by Sandman1832 on 2009-05-05 19:22:58

Mine did the same thing but eventually it does not help, the problem will progressively worsen so I would do what I did and take it to the service center because its not over heating, its the board that is bad. I understand there a new company and got bigger than they could control and one hand don't know what the other is doing at this point, but they need to hire people that will take the freaking time and check boards and diods much more closely because this kind of thing is a make or break for this company. Im tired of waiting to get my amp back, ive been waiting about a month now for it to get fixt.

by Sandman1832 on 2009-05-06 09:46:47

Well after trying to get ahold of someone about whats going on with my amp, I got emailing back and forth with Line 6 and they put me up to speed. My service center FINALLY ORDERED my part so it won't take much longer maybe a week. It happens to be the main PCBA needs to be replaced, not sure what it is but thats what happens to be faulty with 90% of the Spider models and whats causing the problems. Not much Line 6 can do and not really there fault because they are a growing company, that would be there production lines fault thou. THANKS LINE 6 FOR GETTING ALL THE INFO TO ME QUICKLY.

by Stevotnt on 2009-09-16 17:21:28

I recently bought three line 6 spider amps... and one has started to give the same problem as described here.. the amp keeps powering back on... I need help since I live in trinidad

by eduesp on 2013-01-15 02:38:13

Same problem here.

Any idea what to do?

by fflbrgst on 2013-01-15 06:10:47

eduesp - this is a Spider 3 you bought?  If so, I assume you bought it used and it will not be in warranty, so you can pay to have it fixed by a Line 6 service center, or return it to whomever you bought it from.  From the replies above, this series amp had a known problem (bad circuit board).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.