These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Pod 2.0 bypass amp modeling
by jettht on 2009-08-27 05:48:33

Hi there,

Is it possible to bypass the amp modeling on a Pod 2.0? I have an amp which i really dig the sound, now i just need the Pod for effects. Is this possible?

Thanks

Jett

Re: Pod 2.0 bypass amp modeling
by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-27 06:04:23

A.I.R. Mode -

Between Left and Right Outputs. We discussed the
benefits of POD’s A.I.R. output in the first chapter of this handbook. When you’re
setting up with POD, here’s the thing to know: if you’re plugging your POD into
a guitar amplifier to use POD as a “front end” to change the amp’s tone, flip the
A.I.R. Mode switch to AMP, and set your amp for a clean tone. This defeats the
speaker-microphone-room tone simulation of the A.I.R. processing. If you’re using
POD in almost any other setup (plugging direct into a mixer, recorder, PA, power
amplifier, etc.) you want the DIRECT position of this A.I.R. switch. When running
into an amp, be sure NOT to plug in headphones, as they will override the A.I.R.
switch position and turn A.I.R. on so that things sound right in the headphones,
but wrong on your amp. See Chapter 3 to learn how to tune POD for your setup.

by jettht on 2009-08-27 06:53:15

LoonyBin-Fizzbin wrote:

A.I.R. Mode -

Between Left and Right Outputs. We discussed the
benefits of POD’s A.I.R. output in the first chapter of this handbook. When you’re
setting up with POD, here’s the thing to know: if you’re plugging your POD into
a guitar amplifier to use POD as a “front end” to change the amp’s tone, flip the
A.I.R. Mode switch to AMP, and set your amp for a clean tone. This defeats the
speaker-microphone-room tone simulation of the A.I.R. processing. If you’re usingthin
POD in almost any other setup (plugging direct into a mixer, recorder, PA, power
amplifier, etc.) you want the DIRECT position of this A.I.R. switch. When running
into an amp, be sure NOT to plug in headphones, as they will override the A.I.R.
switch position and turn A.I.R. on so that things sound right in the headphones,
but wrong on your amp. See Chapter 3 to learn how to tune POD for your setup.

I know this helps if going through the amp's front input, but im trying to get the cleanest tone from my amp without anything coloring it. If i plug in the Pod into my amp's send/return effects loop, will it automatically bypass the modeling and i could still use the effects?

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-08-27 07:05:39

This will color your amp! This unit will color your amp! This is your best option, and for use in the Amps loop! Post Pre-amp!

Routing effects is another issue that you will fail on! Some effect are best Pre (Pre-amp) and some Post! There is no way to route on this Pod!

So IMO you are best to go into your Amps Loop straight to the Power amp! This way you will not stack 2 Pre-Amps on top of each other! And get the best posible tone out of your Amp!

Another option, is if your Amp has a CD/MP3 input! Plug into that!

by jettht on 2009-08-27 09:41:59

LoonyBin-Fizzbin wrote:

This will color your amp! This unit will color your amp! This is your best option, and for use in the Amps loop! Post Pre-amp!

Routing effects is another issue that you will fail on! Some effect are best Pre (Pre-amp) and some Post! There is no way to route on this Pod!

So IMO you are best to go into your Amps Loop straight to the Power amp! This way you will not stack 2 Pre-Amps on top of each other! And get the best posible tone out of your Amp!

Another option, is if your Amp has a CD/MP3 input! Plug into that!

Thanks, that was pretty helpful. You are right about the routing, but i only need some delay and reverb though, so it's fine. Just to clarify again, if the pod goes into the FX loop, the pod preamp is not active right? And i could still use the delay/reverb effects with my amp?

by jackkate on 2009-08-27 10:16:24

There is no way to bypass the amp modeling in the POD 2.0.

The closest you can get would be to use the tube preamp model with no cabinet and set it up to color the sound as little as possible

by jettht on 2009-08-27 10:41:15

Thats all i needed to know. Thank you

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.