These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Why do manuals suck so bad?
by dwrecording on 2009-08-30 21:42:36

Why do all line 6 products manuals suck so bad they are like 3 pages and just tell you how to plug in something and turn it on? It seems like someone is is not doing there job.

Re: Why do manuals suck so bad?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-08-30 22:50:47

That's basically all there is to the Spider amps.  Plug in, set some levels, save the result and play - that's it.

Download the manuals for the Vetta II amp, the POD X3 Pro or Gearbox and do a quick page count.

Not ALL Line 6 manuals are 3 pages long.

Cheers,

Crusty

by swedebass on 2009-08-30 23:03:14

i remember when i was about 16, i got my first guitar and amp, and as the sales guy was ringing it up i asked if there was a manual. he just stared it me for a moment, then in a total deadpan voice said 'it's pretty self intuitive', and went back to work.

by ricksox on 2009-08-31 15:23:32

There is nothing to the Spider amps. You dial in a patch and save it. You do a factory reset. That's about it. Both of which are in the older Spider II and III manuals. The Spider IV has more features so we did an advanced users guide.

Here's the link:

http://line6.com/data/l/0a060072ba114a95b315b526f/application/pdf/Spider%20IV%20Advanced%20Guide%20(Rev%20A)%20-%20English.pdf

Andyes, I take it personally when people come on the Line 6 boards and tell us how much certain things suck without offering any constructive criticism on how we can make things better.

Yours,

Line6Miller

by dwrecording on 2009-08-31 16:47:48

What i ment was why not have the full manual in the box?

by ricksox on 2009-08-31 16:50:51

Most of our products are update able in the field after end users purchase them. This renders the hard copy of our manuals useless at times. With the advanced users guide and an update able manual available online it makes it easier for us to keep revising them for accuracy.

And, like many other companies we are trying to be a little more green.

Line6Miller

by dwrecording on 2009-08-31 18:12:25

Ya, that is what i was thinking. If you sell 1000 amps and you take off 20 pages each thats 20,000 pages of paper, It also saves lot of money also.

by spaceatl on 2009-09-01 10:11:41

He has a point I think...When I look back at the old manuals there were written by someone that had done manuals before...An intro to modeling, some well placed humor and overall a more elegant layout...

Spider 1 Pilot's Guide

http://line6.com/data/l/c0a8090b14ec8404fbd15a71b0/application/pdf/Spider%20User%20Manual%20-%20English.pdf

Spider4 Pilots Guide

http://line6.com/data/l/0a06007215e8e4a857ca191d4e/application/pdf/Spider%20IV%20Pilot's%20Guide%20(Rev%20A)%20-%20English.pdf

Seemsthe format has changed and now there is an advanced manual...

Spider 4 Advanced Manual

http://line6.com/data/l/0a060072ba114a95b315b526f/application/pdf/Spider%20IV%20Advanced%20Guide%20(Rev%20A)%20-%20English.pdf

Whilethis is technically informative, it is NOT as well done as manuals in the past...It seems that whomever is writing these manuals these days makes a lot of assumptions about the user and thier knowlege of modeling...You must always write a manual from the novice perpective and build on that...This is Tech Writing 101 stuff...The new manuals read like they were written by developers...Get the person back the used to write the manuals is my suggestion...

by MerlinFL on 2012-03-28 16:17:22

Line6Miller wrote:

Most of our products are update able in the field after end users purchase them. This renders the hard copy of our manuals useless at times. With the advanced users guide and an update able manual available online it makes it easier for us to keep revising them for accuracy.

And, like many other companies we are trying to be a little more green.

Line6Miller

Hi Rick - I like that answer.  That is by far the best answer to the "small owners manuals" that come with the new and more complex products like the POD HD line.  I think that last "full size" owners manual was issued with the POD X3 PRO...sound about right?

I hope you and your family are all doing well.  I honestly miss seeing you in many of the other areas of the Support forums.  I'll also never forget my repair issues I had back in 2003 and then again in 2006 where YOU personally went FAR ABOVE & BEYOND to help me out.  Just a simple register product user who had called in for some tech support.  It's that kind of thing that has made me an nearly exclusive Line 6 product user for all of my guitar needs.

Take care,

Neal

by mhc100 on 2012-07-30 00:02:10

I just bought a Pod HD to replace my old Pod 2.0 and so far I'm disappointed in the info provided in the manual and the physical layout of the Pod HD itself. I'm not very interested in the heroic sounds provided by the presets and just want immediate access to the amp models and standard effects like chorus, flange, delay, reverb, etc. The 2.0 made this simple via manual mode and a physical dial that selected amps and effects directly. It looks like with the HD I'm going to have to go through the pain of learning how to build my own flows if I want something simpler than the presets. I don't like this. The manual that came with the device doesn't even list the available amp models or effects limiting itself to referring to them generically. I logged onto line6com looking for the advanced users guide and haven't yet found it. I searched for manuals and found this thread. At the moment I'm frustrated enough to consider returning the whole package but it's late and I haven't done any playing and listening yet . Maybe it'll sound so good that I 'll  decide to keep it, but what a pain. Buying a new guitar effect is supposed to be more fun.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.