These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

My Line 6 spider III 75W DIED! Need help troubleshooting the problem.
by tejasjayaraman on 2009-03-15 16:34:40

Hi,

My line 6 spider III 75W has completely died. When i plug in the guitar theres is only one tone, which is a loud overdriven tone. The volume, tone control knobs do not work. The tuner also doesnt work. Changing the patch selector seems to work and all the patch names and settings show on the display but the tone remains unaltered. I am guessing it is a failure of some component in the electronics. Speaker seems intact. The knobs are intact. There is no burning smell. The amp has not been mishandled in any way. It just died on me one day. Its just over a year old and outside warranty too

All guitar stores are confident of repairing it, but require a $60 initial non refundable amount just to diagnose the problem. They say in the past the bare minimum they will charge for the repairs is 120$ which is about 40% the value of the amp. Basically its value is 0 right now. So i have nothing to lose so i have decided to try and repair it myself.

Could any one suggest a cause for this problem and help me solve it myself? My cousin is an excellent electronics engineer and can troubleshoot really well and has her own workshop. A PCB diagram, or any other diagrams for connections would be extremely helpful. IF someone can even give me a good resolution picture of the circuit that would be terrific too.

Worst case scenario, i am thinking of using the existing cab and speaker (which are intact) and making a completely new PCB and installing it myself from material found on the web.

I NEED HELP!!!!!

Thank you!!!

Tejas

Re: My Line 6 spider III 75W DIED! Need help troubleshooting the problem.
by Bluestone on 2009-03-15 17:19:48

Did you try a reset?

by tejasjayaraman on 2009-03-15 17:26:56

Yes i did. No result. The albert lee patch comes up and the same loud clean sound.

by A7whiny on 2009-03-15 18:24:46

Your amp has a brain called the DSP and an amp section.  If you take it apart you should be able to tell them apart.  The brain section will have all the control cables from the knobs going to it.  This brain section is what determines what the tone sounds like, the other section just amplifies the sound.  If this brain section is bad it can do just like you are saying.  You can have sound because the amp section is working, but the knob don't seem to work correctly.  This may very well be the problem. lol  There are ways to test out the DSP but I figure that is beyond the scope of this little forum page.  And as for schematics - by everything I've heard so far you can forget about finding them.  Only authorized service centers get schematics for Line6 products.

If this brain section *DSP* is bad the shop would more than likely just replace the entire board.  That's probably the 120.00.  The 60.00 up front money is just to look at it first.  The total bill could be even more, who knows.

Many here has said the DSP section began life as a stomp box and was the original POD V2.  I'm not sure if that is correct but if you look at many Line6 stomps they do seem to have the same controls as the amps so that may be a true statement after all.  The sad thing is that if the DSP does go out you are not left with much since most every control on the amp is wired directly to it.  You might be able to mod the DSP and replace it with a newer stomp, but with the price of a new POD that might be an expensive experiment. lol  I figure you could get it working, but it would be a bunch of wire sorting.  Once you see all the wide ribbon cables in there you will understand that statement.

Have you taken the amp apart and checked for loose ribbon cable plugs, wires, etc?  Once you get it apart you will see what I'm talking about.

And if your relative is an EE then she can easily trace the board herself by looking at it.  I've done my SV myself and I'm a complete idiot, so it isn't all that hard. lol

My reasoning for suspecting the DSP is because it is what makes the distortion and clean tones on the amp, the amplifier section just drives the speaker.  If all you have is a distorted tone then more than likely the DSP is fried.  Check out this thread.  Something like this has happened before.

http://line6.com/supportold/thread.jspa?messageID=351614

Bestof luck.

by tejasjayaraman on 2009-03-15 21:13:34

Thanks a tonne. That whole text meant nothing to me (a mech engineer), but made sense to my cousin who seemed to understand whats going on.

I wonder where i can find the eggheads who know all about this. I'm a student at the University of Michigan, so my hope is finding some EE engineer studying and having him check it for me. If theres someone in here with experience id be happy to offer my amp to him/her for experimentation. What do i lose? lol

I know its a shot in the dark...but what the heck.

I stay at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Anyone close by?

by A7whiny on 2009-03-16 04:12:44
My cousin is an excellent electronics engineer and can troubleshoot really well and has her own workshop.

Have your cousin check out the amp.  I'd start checking voltage levels myself.  Just have her be careful in there.  It can be dangerous working on electronic stuff. lol

Find Data Sheets for the hardware items she doesn't know how it works and keep tracing the power route.  Thats how a tech would work on something he's never seen before.  Try to find where you "don't" have current flowing.  lol

I've had my SV apart probably more than anyone on this forum and I have a pretty good idea how to troubleshoot it, but I've never seen inside your solid state amp so I'd haft to start all over again on it.  I'd take what I know about my amp and apply as much as is practical to troubleshooting yours.  The process isn't all that hard, it just takes some time to figure out and understand.  Like on my amp, I know how to bypass the DSP and test out the main section, and how to bypass the main section and test out the DSP.  On your amp I don't have a clue because I don't know exactly whats in there to begin with.  Once you know whats in there and how it works then its easy to troubleshoot.

Good luck.

by AndyParedes on 2009-03-17 14:41:33

Hello,

Please see your support ticket for more information:

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

class="MsoNormal">

Regards,

Line6Andy

by
tejasjayaraman on 2009-03-17 16:09:58

The link appears to be broken.

by AndyParedes on 2009-03-18 08:10:02

Hello,

Try it again, it is working from our end.

Line6Andy

Please be sure to award Helpful and Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by tejasjayaraman on 2009-03-18 14:16:49

My amp is just over a year old. I will fish out the purchase documents and check this again. In case i am unable to find them, can line 6 check on the warranty status in any other way?

Thanks!

by AndyParedes on 2009-03-18 15:56:32

Hello,

Please see your support ticket for more information:

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

class="MsoNormal">

Regards,

Line6Andy

by matt_2506 on 2011-10-20 03:38:32

Hello,

Tejasyaraman can i ask if you can give me a circuit daigram for the line 6 spider III 75w? If it's still possible? I can't find any circuit diagram in the net. I broke the my amp also and for looks of it im in a dead end hear.

Can any one help me find a circuit diagram for my Line 6 spider III 75w?

NEED HELP...

Thank you

by fflbrgst on 2011-10-20 05:18:13

Matt - replying to a 2 year old closed post won't get you much.  As stated above, only authorized service centers are going to have circuit diagrams - Line 6 won't share these.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.