These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Bug: X3 Pro - Rotary Encoder 4 changes other parameter values
by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 20:50:03

Firmware 1.02

Try this.

1. Select a reverb like the Medium Hall.
  2. Make sure predly, decay and tone are at 50%
  3. Start turning the mix of the reverb down using rotary encoder 4.
  4. Observe predly, decay and tone values decrease also.  Just a point or two.

This does not happen when you decrease the reverb mix using the Verb knob.

This isn't limted to Reverb.  Does it on Delay too.

Re: Bug: X3 Pro - Rotary Encoder 4 changes other parameter values
by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 20:55:06

And it also does it during patch naming.  This is ridiculous.  I can't name a Tone 2 to save my life.  Only seems to change the values of the other three rotary encoders when you turn the 4th encoder counter clockwise.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:06:50

Weird.  The problem now seems intermittant.  Sometimes fine, sometimes not.  My encoders, SDRAM and Flash all test fine.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:20:50

Okay, now I have serious problems.  When I power the unit off and back on again, it comes up on patch 1B, where I left it, but with the name AND tone of 1C.  If I select 1B from the Shortboard or if I use the patch change encoder to move up and back again, it gets cleared up.  It doesn't always come up wrong on powerup.  Just sometimes.

Strangely enough, I can no longer reproduce the encoder problem.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:30:18

And to top all of this off, I have a hiss coming out of my headphone outputs.  Not any of the others, just the headphones.  Live and XLR outs are fine.

Do I have a lemon unit???

I've got 3 performances coming up in the next 3 weeks.  I've got to get all of this ironed out.

by timowens on 2009-03-15 21:43:20

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

Okay, now I have serious problems.  When I power the unit off and back on again, it comes up on patch 1B, where I left it, but with the name AND tone of 1C.  If I select 1B from the Shortboard or if I use the patch change encoder to move up and back again, it gets cleared up.  It doesn't always come up wrong on powerup.  Just sometimes.

Strangely enough, I can no longer reproduce the encoder problem.

Check out this except about a processing delay from the X3 FAQs that ClassicalDad pointed out recently on the old forum, perhaps this applies to this issue that you're seeing...

Q:  Why do I see an asterisk on my POD X3/Live when I power on my X3 or X3 Live?*

A:  The X3 Beans and X3 Lives have a 7 second buffer time, which means it needs 7 seconds to completely process any changes you make.  At this time please press save twice so that the asterisk* disappears. Wait 7 seconds, and power off then back on again.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:45:00

Here's a thought.  With the exception of the headphone hiss, is it possible that a bad FBV cable could cause any of the above symptoms?  Especially the wrong patch name/number/tone coming up on power up?  I used another FBV cable that I have and now I can't reproduce any of the problems except the headphone hiss.  Although admittedly, the encoder problem was getting harder to reproduce the more I exercised the encoder itself, even before the cable change.  Is it possible that there was "gunk" in the encoder and I cleaned it out by moving it a lot?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:48:30

Yep, I remember about the 7 second rule and that thought had crossed my mind as it seems like it only happened if I was making a change to the patch before I powered off and back on.  Now all seems fine, though.  Unnerving.  I can't have any of this happening during a show.

by timowens on 2009-03-15 21:53:05

Yep, those little idiosyncrasies will sure drive you crazy, I'm sure you'll figure it out one way or the other. Let us know whenever you post some new videos with your latest setup, I'd love to hear it.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 21:56:32

Sure will.  Hopefully I won't forget my video camera for our show on the 28th like I did at the last one.  So I'll get some decent footage then.

I'm not closing this question out yet because I want to hear from Line6 on these issues.

by timowens on 2009-03-15 22:02:53

Right on. A while back I heard one of your clips of the SpiderValve, you had such an excellent tone I was surprised to hear that you're now also using a X3 Pro. Anyway, I'm sidetracking from your original topic, hope you get it sorted out soon.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 22:07:41

I'm using the Pro to augment the SV in the effects department.  Same great SV tone.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-15 22:16:38

Tried it one more time for the night.  I was able to reproduce the encoder problem once more.  So the question will remain open for Line6.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 09:21:41

Bump!  Help!

by brainstem3000 on 2009-03-16 10:51:05

karl i think you have a bum unit , my x3pro has never had a glitch, yet ,

i would get it swaped out asap, good luck hope you get a new one.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 10:57:57

My problem here is I have perfomances almost every week for a good long while.  I can't afford to be without it.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 11:56:53

Called support and talked to Line6Andy.  This unit is going back to Musician's Friend where it came from.  Will have to get another ASAP from somewhere else.

by TheRealZap on 2009-03-16 12:26:27

just one?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 12:33:19

LOL!  Yes, just one.  It's already on its way shipped FREE second day air from Musician's Friend.  They couldn't have been more helpful.

by dradlin on 2009-03-16 20:38:29

What did you discuss with Line6Andy?  Is the encoder issue a known hardware failure?

This interests me because my X3 Pro does this also... and pretty much any time I tweak encoder 4 more than just a couple clicks.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 20:40:44

You need to call Line6.  This is not normal function.  Nor was it a known issue.  But it disturbs me that more than one unit is affected.

by dradlin on 2009-03-16 20:44:25

Did Line6 acknowledge this as faulty and instruct you to return it for exchange?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-03-16 20:46:55

Yes, they did.

by dradlin on 2009-03-16 20:59:42

Thanks...

I'm wondering if there is a difference with the factory flash memory install?  I'm running 1.20 - can I downgrade back to 1.00 to try?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.