These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

SV HD100 Mods?
by Cyanide008 on 2009-09-11 00:27:29

So I just ordered a Spider Valve HD100 Valve head today.

It's my first tube amp, and i'm not a big fan of the digital tone but for 450$ i really can't complain.

Miraculously i stumbled upon the SVpre mod by Strymon.

• -I know that installing it would void the warranty, but if you uninstalled it, and soldered everything back to the way it was,

is there any way they can tell it's been tampered with?

Some other questions:

• -Are there any other mods available for SV amps?

• -I'd like to upgrade the tubes, but i don't know what tubes to buy.

What tubes would be good for articulate high gain thrash/shred tone. As high gain and articulate as possible without becoming "brutal".?

• -I have the chance to purchase either a Line 6 FBV foot switch or a bundle of Boss Metalcore, Digitech Overdrive, and Dunlop Fasel Wah

for 100 dollars. So considering the SVpre mod installed, would it be wiser to get the FBV or the pedals?

• -Does changing tubes void the warranty?

That's about it for now, thanks.

Re: SV HD100 Mods?
by devilshockey on 2009-09-11 05:56:41

Congrats on your amp purchase.  Great prices now too now that the new models have been announced.  Definately go with the SVPre first and foremost, it makes the biggest difference.  As far as installation, I know on the sv112 there is a screw that needs to be removed so you can ground the SVPre.  That screw has a red plastic on it that would be obviously removed.  Also there are leads that need to be soldered to points on the board.  They too may be obvious when the solder is removed.  I think any trained tech could probably figure out when somethings been tampered with.  I have had mine installed for more than a year now, no problems, just fantastic tone.  As far as other worthwile mods, you can place a set of external dipswitches for easy access to the SVPre push modes.  I'm sure there are a couple other mods if you search for them.  I think Space has a mod or two up his sleeve.

Swapping tubes will not void the warrantee.  I replaced all the stock ones in mine for favor of JJ tubes, but the difference was not as dramatic as in other "all tube" amps. The hybrid section of this amp takes away some of the tubes character IMO.

I would go for the footswitch so I could access the wah and volume functions on the amp.  Although I use a Bad Monkey overdrive from time to time to tighten things up a tad and get mroe from the SVPre.

Hope this answeres some of your questions.

Cheers.

by Rowbi on 2009-09-11 06:49:04

if you're careful you could probably remove and replace the SVPre a couple of times without being able to easily tell.

other mods: well there are a few search on this forum and you'll find a couple.

tube wise, i'd stick with the same power tube model.  and I think people suggest the preamp or phase invertor is good as a JJ, but again search on this forum for info.

the FBV would probably be the best thing first than other stomps.

if a line6 service center does the tubes then the warranty would be fine.  but if you get any other amp tech to do it it would theoretically void the warranty, but it would be hard to enforce that.

by sofnwhat on 2009-09-11 06:51:28

Congrats

1) They will be able to tell it was tampered with. You either made the the jump, head first or play it safe and wait the warranty out. The SVpre is awesome, especially if you install the switches to access the push modes.

2) Just more homebrewed ones. I put the switches for the SVpre on the front of my HD100 and changed the LED's that light up the logo to green. Do a search for mods on here and the old forum A7whiny did some a whole bunch of them and gave great reviews.

3) You are going to have to experiment with tubes yourself to see. I'm fairly new to tubes too. Rather than stating with the powertubes, which you should take to the shop to get done. Start experimenting  with the preamp tubes. Just pull the old one out and put the new one and that's it, simple. I've ordered some on Ebay to try out. They can and do effect your over all tone. Plus they are fairly cheap. The JJ ECC83's are pretty popular on here, I ordered some. I also ordered a EH 12AX7. If you are going to do the power tubes, my advice would be go all out. Spend some $$$ for some nice ones. When getting them installed, ask the tech about the biasing. L6 reccomends biasing inbetween cold and hot. See about getting it biased more on the hot side. It'll work the tubes more and wear them out quicker, but you should have more of the tube tone in there.

4) This question is more loaded than it appears. You really need something to change you patches on the SV. The Shortboard is fantastic with the SV. However the effects in the SV are very limited. Most of us have decided that outboard pedals are the way to go with the SV. If you can get away with only 4 channels and no effect swithing for the SV, then you'd be better off with the FBV Express. I'd recommend the Shortboard, see what effect in the SV you can live with and what one's you need, on the SV or not and start building from there.

5) no

Good luck

by cgtrox on 2009-09-11 09:19:51

lactimg_hulk2_1.jpg

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-09-11 09:30:26

LOL!!

Joker_AA_1600.jpg

by Cyanide008 on 2009-09-11 10:32:19

Suppose i had a line 6 tech install the SVpre? Would i still void the warranty?

by cgtrox on 2009-09-11 10:36:32

LOL! Now THATs funny!!

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-09-11 10:54:37

Get real man.

by cgtrox on 2009-09-11 11:03:18

Hey Cyanide, we're not being mean it's just that the guy that invented the SV Pre is basically telling Line 6 they got it wrong. So, a Line 6 tech would prolly laugh at your request, that's all...

cgtrox

by sofnwhat on 2009-09-11 11:14:13

You either make the jump and don't look back, or don't. Fortunetly I bought my SV HD100 used, so warranty was not an issue. There has been plenty of people on here thathave  forsaken their warranty in favor tone chasing with a SVpre. I don't think there has been many failures associated with the SV's, not like the X3L's. Of course that doesn't mean you might be on of the unfortunate one's.

by cgtrox on 2009-09-11 11:23:15

+1 man, mine was brand spankin' new but I'm a tone chaser, always have been....

cgtrox

by Rowbi on 2009-09-11 13:05:31

sofnwhat wrote:

Congrats

1) They will be able to tell it was tampered with. You either made the the jump, head first or play it safe and wait the warranty out. The SVpre is awesome, especially if you install the switches to access the push modes.

don't wanna step on sofnwhat's toes. and although it wouldn't be easy.  if you're good with a soldering iron, I think you could get it to look good enough so that a line6 service center probably wouldn't notice.  but it'd be a chore to do.  the reason I say you could probably do it a couple of times is that there's a sort of ribon cable that the ends will get mangled each time you fit the SVPre and then remove it, thus needing you to chop a little off the cable each time.  so the shorter it gets, the fewer times you could do it.

Like I said, I think I could remove it and put it back to stock, a couple of times before there's not enough ribon to do it again... but I'll say again... it'd be a right chore to do it.

i would probably say it's worth using your amp for a couple of months, and give it a good work out.  if it's still ok then, you are probably going to be okay with modding it.  there's still a chance you may get a fault later in the year before the warranty runs out, but it's usually the first couple of months or a few years down the line when you get faults.  dodgy parts would cause quick failures, and parts wearing out cause failures after a few years.... just to clarify, I'm speaking generally about electronic faults there... not suggesting SV's use poor parts, as they do seem quite good on the reliability front.

by Cyanide008 on 2009-09-11 13:09:10

Well i'm quite the tone chaser myself, but i want to play it safe, so i guess i'll keep it stock for a while to make sure there aren't any line 6 issues, then upgrade it.

But let me get this straight with the SVpre i will have

3 - 12AX7 Preamp tubes

and

4 - 6L6 power tubes?

And you can only replace 12AX7's with other 12AX7's?

And only replace 6L6's with 6L6's?

I see alot of people recommending JJ tubes.

For the high gain, would these be good?

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-ecc83g.html

and

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-kt66.html ?

Matched pair means your'e getting 2 tubes for the price listed right?

Are there any other options for good high gain tubes cause compared to half of the tubes on the tube depot, the JJ Teslas are pretty cheap.

EDIT: Oh well, would there be any reason to install it and uninstall it multiple times?

Could you replace this "ribon cable"?

by cgtrox on 2009-09-11 14:10:07

Adding an SV Pre will give you ONE preamp tube. The two 12AX7s in there now are "converters", not true preamp tubes. That's why the SV Pre is so important to this amp. It will give you that little tube "bounce" and spongieness that's missing.

Check out this blind taste test they did on 6L6's..... http://www.tubedepot.com/6l6reviews.html

cgtrox

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-09-11 16:49:56

<a target=new href=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HN655TT4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg" class="jive-image" src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HN655TT4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg"/>

by AndyParedes on 2009-09-18 11:55:20

uatu.jpg

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-09-18 16:39:04

The Original Big Brother!

Omiting George Orwell

I always got him mixed up with John Steinbeck! LOL   I seemed to read & Love the Book, into the story & much less on analizing styles, but never know who wrote it! LOL I am even worst now, because I read much more!  

<a target=new href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4b/FF48.jpg/250px-FF48.jpg" class="jive-image" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4b/FF48.jpg/250px-FF48.jpg"/>

by brianvalve12 on 2009-09-19 07:27:48

If I could recommend, contact Eurotubes. www.eurotubes.com

I bought my JJ's from them. They have recommended JJ's specifically for Spider Valve with or without the SVpre. The guys at Eurotubes know their stuff. I also learned to do my own biasing through them. They sell a bias probe that works great! I order from them exclusively now. Not to down Tube Depot but I've bought a few stinkers from them. Tubes that didn't go a month. The JJ's sound awesome! IMO. The bottom end is a lot tighter. You can actually turn the bass knob up without cringeing.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.