These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Sound suddenly choppy/distorted
by mrko5 on 2009-03-16 11:28:02

Hey Guys,

Got my Toneport UX2 running through my Mac via USB, and have the main audio running out of that to monitors. When using it sometimes, the audio suddenly becomes choppy and distorted, almost at a rate of 1 'blip' per second. I restart the mac and everything is fine again until it happens. What is going on??

Macbook 2.4ghz 4gb Ram 160GB Hard drive

Thanks!

Re: Sound suddenly choppy/distorted
by taylortay on 2009-03-16 18:24:58

This has happened to me. All I had to do was shutdown my comuter, un plug and plug back in the usb cable. I hope this works for you.

by mrko5 on 2009-03-17 01:33:25

Yeah that does seem to put it back to normal, but I dont really want to have to keep restarting my Mac every time it happens. Anyone got any ideas?

Mark

by ricksox on 2009-03-17 10:36:02

Hi,

With what frequency does this happen? Does it happen every few minutes, hours, days? If it happens after an extended period of time it could be due to different background apps running, turning on/off etc.

Are you able to reproduce this every time?

Line6Miller

Please be sure to award Helpful and Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by mrko5 on 2009-03-17 17:28:16

It happens probably once every two days? but it can vary, it has happened before like 3 times in one day, but hasn't done it today. If it does happen, it seems to be every 5-6 hours maybe, im not sure.  Once it starts, I have left it on for various periods of time, and it is definitely the Line 6, as I have taken it out and played it through internal speakers and it doesn't happen!

thanks for your help

Mark

by Line6Hugo on 2009-03-23 11:06:47

Mark,

Please fill out a support profile so that we can have a better understanding of your system:

http://line6.com/account/supportProfile/

Justto be sure, have you made sure to disable any wireless adapters on your Macbook such as the Airport wireless adapter. Also, have you made sure to connect directly to the computer recmoving any USB hubs or tried all of the USB ports?

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by mrko5 on 2009-03-23 11:17:59

Hey hugo, thanks for gettin back

Filled out the support profile. It has always been connected directly to the mac via USB, and I haven't tried it by disabling the Airport yet. It happened once yesterday, but not since then

Mark

by FearS on 2009-03-23 11:22:18

It's laughable to think that Airport might affect a POD's usb performance. If that was accurate I would stop using POD immediately.

by mrko5 on 2009-03-23 11:30:41

haha too true, especially with 4gb of ram and 2.4ghz macbook. you'd think it would be able to cope....

by mrko5 on 2009-03-23 13:41:05

Just did it again, had to restart....

by Line6Hugo on 2009-03-23 14:49:48

It is funny that Macbooks are susceptible to interference like all other computers.

Please let me know if you encountered the problem after disabling airport or any other wireless communication.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by mrko5 on 2009-03-24 02:19:15

Yep it still does it with the wireless switched off. It just happened again.

Mark

by Kneehow on 2009-03-24 09:51:36

To help us better support you, I’ve created a support ticket which you can view at: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

We’llneed you to attach certain log files and system info files to the ticket and send them all back to us in order to provide our QA department with the data they need. We’ve included which files we’ll need as well as detailed instructions on how to gather them and attach them to the ticket. Please reply back to the ticket at your earliest convenience so we can continue to troubleshoot your issue.

L6P

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-24 09:55:40

I have the exact same problem. If I'm in an 8 hour session it will do it roughly3-5 times. It means I'm constantly restarting the machine.

It seems to happen mostly when opening new projects or opening EXS24.

I just downloaded latest drivers and it's made it much worse!

I'll have to ditch the soundcard if it keeps on as I write music for TV/Film and I have tight deadlines and this restarting is taking up valuable time...

by mrko5 on 2009-03-24 16:06:15

Yeah I would agree, I have been working with Logic Studio/EXS24 a lot recently, and it seems to be this perhaps that is not helping.

support ticket updated!

by the_ear on 2009-03-25 09:36:34

hey there,

i've got a similair problem: since using my toneport/gearbox-gold-plugin and not my edirol fa66 (works without drivers) as audio-i/o the sound is ALWAYS distorted, when i plug in the toneport. only restarting my macbook pro with plugged in toneport works. but when i pull the plug and plug it in again sound becomes distorted. can you please help me?

by mrko5 on 2009-03-25 09:41:11

We are trying to figure out what the problem is. Happened 3 times today! what a joke!

by FearS on 2009-03-25 09:51:48

I'm not trying to figure out the problem - that's Line6's job.

I'm trying to decide on a replacement audio interface, maybe a Firewire box. Then the POD becomes a glorified iLok for POD Farm.

by mrko5 on 2009-03-25 09:55:08

Well ive set up a support ticket, just waiting to see whats goin on really...but if it carries on i'm gonna have to bin it at this rate!

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-25 10:02:31

I'm actually a bit shocked that this forum is the only technical support offered! I love the interface and gearbox, but it will have to go if this isn't solved pretty soon....

Weirdly it hasn't happened once today and I've been in a session since 9.30 this morning!

by mrko5 on 2009-03-25 10:11:41

Mine seems to be only when I sleep and un-sleep my mac a lot, and open and close logic/itunes a lot perhaps...

ITS RUBBISH...LINE 6 SORT IT OUT!

by mrko5 on 2009-03-26 09:13:47

So, I was just listening to music through iTunes, and then I go to open Logic whilst its playing, and it blips slightly, and now it is doing the distorted thing every second. I have turned logic off, but it is still doing it.

So its definitely something to do with the audio routing or something?!

line6 help me out.

by the_ear on 2009-03-26 09:22:17

just found out: connected toneport while macbook was asleep (lid closed) and then woke it up didnt lead to distorted sound. hmm

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-26 09:50:28

Well I'm on a Mac Pro, about 4 months old. 8-Core, 6GB RAM. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up it still doesn'y work! Only restarting it helps.

Oh, and it's happened 5 times today already!

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 07:59:43

FearS wrote:

It's laughable to think that Airport might affect a POD's usb performance. If that was accurate I would stop using POD immediately.

Actually, Airport affects the Mac's performance, period. It's not just limited to POD. Apple has already posted numerous updates addressing this, however, it is recommended to shut it off when doing audio production in a DAW.

jord

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 08:03:04

mrko5 wrote:

So, I was just listening to music through iTunes, and then I go to open Logic whilst its playing, and it blips slightly, and now it is doing the distorted thing every second. I have turned logic off, but it is still doing it.

So its definitely something to do with the audio routing or something?!

line6 help me out.

This is not a Line6 issue. That's CoreAudio contention between Logic and iTunes. Starting up Logic with any other audio application running (including iTunes) is not recommended.

jord

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 08:05:53

mr_ronz wrote:

Well I'm on a Mac Pro, about 4 months old. 8-Core, 6GB RAM. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up it still doesn'y work! Only restarting it helps.

Oh, and it's happened 5 times today already!

Actually, this is a CoreAudio issue. You shouldn't be putting your unit to sleep with an active CoreAudio device hooked up to it, or you will experience unpredictable behaviour from unresponsiveness to kernel panics. It applies to any audio interface and not just Line6.

jord

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-28 08:27:52

No, what I said was that putting it to sleep DOESN'T help. I'm not putting it to sleep for any other reason.I'm in Logic and it just starts happening. I'm not opening iTunes or any other audio app.

I'm in one project and it's fine and then I'll open another project and it'll be un-usable until I restart the machine. Some days it doesn't do it at all some days it happen 6 or 7 times. And it only happens through the Line 6 device. If I switch it to the built in line out or headphones or built it speaker the sound is fine. When I go back to the UX2 it's terrible.

I can't see how it's an Apple issue when the UX2 is the only thing it's affecting...

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 08:35:39

Ahh... now I get it. My bad.

Is your audio being stored on an external drive? Also wondering what the difference between the two projects are, such as using a plug-in that may be considered a resource hog.

jord

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-28 08:54:29

I do have some sample libraries on an external drive, but the project I'm working on at the moment doesn't use these. I'm scoring a TV show, so each project is a diferent cue within the show. I often use one cue as a basis for another, so sometimes there is literally no difference between the projects as I'm opening one and saving it as another before adapting it. One project will work fine. I'll then open another one and it goes funny!

It does happen occasionally when I use an EXS instrument where the library is on my external drive, but it happens equally often when I'm not using the external drive at all! It's confusing all right.

Weirdly, it often happens more often when I've just updated the Line 6 drivers....

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 12:14:18

Where is your audio for your project stored? As well, what is the CoreAudio sample buffer set to in Logic?

jord

by FearS on 2009-03-28 12:37:01

jchilcott wrote:

Actually, Airport affects the Mac's performance, period. It's not just limited to POD. Apple has already posted numerous updates addressing this, however, it is recommended to shut it off when doing audio production in a DAW.

jord

Got a link to an apple document that supports your claim?

Funny you showed up this weekend - I just borrowed a friend's USB audio interface and I've been putting it through its paces with no audio problems at all. If I switch back the POD I get crackling. Funny, huh?

by bearfacedcow on 2009-03-28 12:54:11

You must have missed this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1994

Andif you go around Apple's Discussion Forums, you'll notice that they haven't completely fixed it. So yes, Airport is a problem. What's your CoreAudio buffer set to as well?

jord

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-29 03:54:32

All project files and audio are stored on internal HD. I only have one at the moment as the machine is quite new I haven't got around to upgrading much. I will put another internal drive or 2 in and transfer my libraries to that eventually...

Sample buffer is set at 64.

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-29 04:09:42

Also, I've not got Airport as far as I know - unless your talking about the built-in bluetooth?

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-31 06:18:29

So this is Line 6's technical support eh? Does someone from Line 6 ever respond to these boards? I did not come on here to discuss the problem with other users, I wanted to report the fault to a Line 6 technical guy and get some kind of hints as to how they might be remedied.

This is possibly the worst technical support I've evr encountered. It might be worth getting a new soundcard just to get a company that has decent customer service...

by the_ear on 2009-03-31 06:48:32

YEPP, i'm also very disappointed.

HEY GUYS from line6: wake up! i bought some gear from you that's a bit hard- with lotta software. so i CAN demand some support. and within DAYS this should be possible...

please act fast!  or do you want to get famous for the worst support for mac users?

by FearS on 2009-03-31 08:05:11

I've been using a different usb audio interface for a week or so now with great results. I was even able to lower my buffer with no problems. I'm looking at getting something with firewire, however, since I think it'll be even more reliable.

We don't all have budgets for both a POD and a dedicated audio interface, that's supposed to be a major feature of many Line6 products, so I agree that some more official help from Line6 would be good. As for what alternative interfaces or even amp simulation effects I'm looking at, that's a discussion for a different board.

by jonkuzma on 2009-03-31 09:19:32

Hi..I had a similar issue with the toneport...No One was any help...It seemed as if the toneport wanted to all of a sudden be the midi timeclock...My solution was to ditch the toneport and use a firewire interface..It would happen quite often in Live but not as much in Logic..Nice to know after a couple of years it still doesn't work...I've been tempted of late to go try another T2...But not anymore..Hope it gets suussed..And as a rule of thumb airport as well as any app.s running in the background should never be on..I don't care how mondo your system  The phone is allways ringing when anything else is on...Just a basic rule of thumb to get used to..You may wish to make sure also Apple Talk is off...JON

Also check out a different usb input..Who knows ?

by Kneehow on 2009-03-31 10:16:36

Hello mrko5,

Just to give you an update, your issue is being looked into. Thanks for being patient.

For the other users who chimed into mrko5's question, please create a new thread with your individual inquiries. Thanks guys.

by mr_ronz on 2009-03-31 12:31:28

You mean like this one that I created a weeka ago and no-one replied to?

http://line6.com/community/message/12045#12045

???

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-01 07:39:25

bump

by mrko5 on 2009-04-03 17:51:16

supposedly they keep upadating my support ticket but every time i go to open it, i get a 505 error!! Any progress?

by mrko5 on 2009-04-04 05:05:08

So in my support ticket they said they are working on a new driver that should fix the problem! finally!

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-07 11:46:50

I'm getting no response... This is easily the worst service I've EVER received from any of the equipment I've got - and I've got a fair amount of stuff!

by Dubnick on 2009-04-12 20:12:57

Just thought I'd add to this.  On I'm a Mac Pro 2.8*8 6GB of RAM.  PODxt was performing fine as the soundcard, turned it off and used the USB cable to run Time Machine earlier today, plugged the POD back in, went to play something in Safari and iTunes and got the choppy playback in both.  Deselected it as the system output and played back through the computer speakers and no choppiness, selected PODxt again, choppiness again.  Restarted the computer and it seems fine.  Since rebooting, I've even changed the system output to the computer's speaker, turned off the PODxt and restarted it and it still seems to be working fine, although judging from this thread, I'm bound to encounter the issue again I guess.  No other sign of any kind of issue, plenty of memory and when it was happening barely any of it was in use.

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-13 03:33:30

Unlucky! Just heard there should be a new driver available within a week or 2 that should resolve this issue - let's hope that's true!

by Dubnick on 2009-04-13 08:49:42

That's a good thing. right?  Not sure what you mean by unlucky?

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-13 08:59:38

Unlucky that it's not just the UX2's that have this problem!!!

by Dubnick on 2009-04-14 06:18:16

Think this might be a repeatable bug - can someone see if they find the same circumstances?  Details:

Mac Pro 2.8 - 8 core

Running 10.5.6

PODxt set for System and Default Output

Set at largest buffer size

6GB of RAM

Not running on an external hub (using top front port).  Only other USB connections are to the monitor/keyboard, UPC and a little Belkin hub for my iLoks.

What I've noticed is this, the choppiness only seems to happen after the PODxt has been turned off and on twice.  Specifically, I should note that, before I turn off the PODxt, I always de-select it as the System & Default Output, returning to the built in speakers.  When ever I turn it back on, I turn it on first, then re-select it in Audio Midi Setup as the System & Default Output, or sometimes just the Default Output.  I seem to be able to do this once without issue, but for some reason, the second time starts the choppiness effect, although rebooting it fixes it.  When the choppiness occurs I have switched to the built in speakers to check, and the audio is just fine, so it's got to be the PODxt.  Can anyone see if they can confirm this? 

Hopefully you're right about the new drivers coming to resolve this, but I could always switch to my firewire interface in the meantime.  Kind of a bummer though, cause the POD is pretty convenient to use as an interface.

by mrko5 on 2009-04-24 07:09:28

Wonder where this driver is?

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-24 07:13:39

Last thing I heard was that it would be about a week - and that was about 3 weeks ago!

Time is ticking and a new interface will have to bought if this isn't sorted very soon...

by drice on 2009-04-24 10:41:30

Hi all,

The new Mac driver is out.

If you are experiencing this issue, move the slider in the Line 6 control panel up by a couple notches. That should fix it.

-Dan

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 03:32:56

Yep, it doesn't work!

I've been working for 2 hours this morning and it's happened twice already...

This is becoming VERY dull...

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 03:44:32

YEP! still happening with me, just plugged it back in after not using it for a bit, now still choppy and rubbish.

come on line 6, what is going on???

by drice on 2009-04-27 07:21:05

Did you try moving the slider in the Line 6 control panel?

Is the problem when you're using a recording app (Core Audio), or is it through the PODFarm Tonedirect?

Thanks for the continued feedback.

-Dan

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 07:32:30

I've tried the slider all number of ways - the only thing to get rid of it is still to restart the machine, which is pretty annoying if it's happening 4 or 5 times per session...

There is no rhyme or reason why it happens. I could be in Logic, I could be in iTunes - I could be sending an e-mail, but it will suddenly go and then ALL playback is chopping in an out (like there's a really glitchy tremelo effect on it) - and when I say all playback I mean even the bing when I get an e-mail. Everything. If, once it's gone, I switch playback to the onboard sound there is no problem. When I switch back it's still doing it and I have to restart.

If it is to do with the CoreAudio then it's an icompatibility with the UX2 - it's obvoiously not the Mac as it only affects playback through the UX2.

by drice on 2009-04-27 07:35:36

mr_ronz and others,

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking into it right now. This helps clarify a lot.

-Dan

by drice on 2009-04-27 07:51:04

Do any of you have any firewire devices attached to your system in addition to the Line 6 device?

Thanks.

-Dan

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 07:54:22

No.

By the way, mines just gone again and it's worse than usual - the sound is much more digitised sounding now as well and choppy and when I was in Logic you could hear the choppy sound in the background even when not playing any audio...

by drice on 2009-04-27 07:57:29

Hi mr_ronz,

You can still hear it when not playing back...

Do you have PODFarm standalone open or are you monitoring through Logic?

Thanks.

-Dan

by dmorgen on 2009-04-27 08:02:45

No firewire connections on my MBPRO.

BTW, I previously had the choppy sound problem.  Yesterday I "upgraded" the GuitarPort drivers from 4.0.1 to 4.1.0.  Now I get no sound whatsoever out of GuitarPort.  I go into more detail in a post on the Gearbox forum.

Dave

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 08:06:03

I was watching a quicktime with Logic open (I write music for TV/Film so this is something I do often). It went and I continued to hear the noise in the background. When I shut Logic down the background noise stopped but the tremelo glitch is still happening on any kind of playback...

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 08:09:03

Mine occurred when I was watching something online through Firefox, the sound was coming out of th speakers. I took the line 6 out, sound worked fine through mac speakers. Went to plug it back in, choppy 'tremelo' effect occurs. Restart is the only way to solve!

Got a 48 hour logic exam in a week, dont want this happening then!!

by drice on 2009-04-27 08:26:13

OK, when you are getting this choppy tremolo effect, what happens if you open PODFarm standalone? Do you get that same choppy effect through the standalone?

We fixed a problem like that for 4.1.0 although, the slider in the Line 6 control panel resolves that issue. If you hear choppy audio in PODFarm standalone then the slider should fix it.

And just to be clear, the Toneport is plugged directly into the computer right? No USB hubs?

-Dan

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 08:28:10

Yea the toneport is directly plugged in, and I havent tried opening pod farm after its happened. if it happens again ill try that.

by drice on 2009-04-27 08:30:39

mr_ronz,

Once you were getting the choppy audio, did you try opening the PODFarm standalone by itself? Do you get choppy audio with just the standalone application running? I'm trying to isolate if this is an issue for the actual usb audio streaming or a CoreAudio communication issue.

Thanks

-Dan

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 08:35:20

Right so had iTunes playing, and booted up guitar pro 5 whilst having pod farm up.

it did not ilke it at all, its choppier than ever now!! restart time again!

by drice on 2009-04-27 08:37:05

mrko5 what if you close down everything except for PODFarm standalone?

Is that glitching? If so, does the Line 6 buffer slider in the control panel resolve it? You can move it while PODFarm is open.

-Dan

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 08:42:27

It seemed to be a whole sound thing. I just closed everything and restarted. The line 6 buffer thing does not affect it I dont think, but i havent tried to be honest.

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 08:43:31

Umm, I don't have PODFarm. I've got the Toneport UX2 and gearbox.

by drice on 2009-04-27 08:46:28

mr_ronz,

Then what if you close everything except Gearbox standalone application? Does the issue still occur? If so, does the Line 6 control panel slider help the issue in Gearbox?

I'm trying to find out if this is a Core Audio or usb issue, and since the Gearbox standalone application does not use Core Audio it will help clarify the issue.

Thanks

-Dan

by drice on 2009-04-27 08:49:04

mrko5,

What I'm trying to isolate is whether this is a USB issue or a Core Audio issue. The PODFarm standalone application does not use Core Audio when you're just playing guitar through it, so using that application by itself would verify if the problem is a Core Audio or a USB issue.

When you hear the choppiness, if you can shut down everything except the PODFarm application, and check if that glitches. If it does, then can you please verify that the slider in the Line 6 control panel does not resolve the issue.

Thanks

-Dan

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 09:03:57

It still happens when just playing guitar through Gearbox - and the slider makes no difference...

by drice on 2009-04-27 09:05:20

OK, thanks mr_ronz.

That helps.

Does the driver list as 4.1.0 in the control panel?

Thanks for all your help.

-Dan

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 09:14:18

Yep...

by drice on 2009-04-27 09:17:05

Can everyone who is having this problem report their system specs and when they purchased their machine?

We want to try to replicate this in house.

Thanks.

-Dan

by mrko5 on 2009-04-27 09:23:34

Spec-

white Macbook 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 160gb hard drive

Tone port ux2, bought approx.1 and half to 2 years ago maybe?

All latest drives etc...

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 09:28:21

Intel Mac Pro

2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core

6BG Ram

320Gb HD

Bought November 2008

Toneport UX2

Bought Feb 2008

by dmorgen on 2009-04-27 09:48:07

MacBook Pro (aluminum solid body) 15"

Purchased 10/2008

2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4gb 1067 MHz DDR3

320gb HD

OSX 10.5.6

by dmorgen on 2009-04-27 09:49:12

GuitarPort - purchased many years ago

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-27 09:50:06

Oh yeah, I'm OSX 10.5.6.

by the_ear on 2009-04-27 09:51:33

macbook pro (early 2008)

4 gb ram

enough free disk space

all new drivers, newest os x

no other usb devices running

no usb-hub

toneport di/ gearbox gold plugin

the choppy sound (every audio-output) does appear everytime i plug in/off the toneport.

btw: i've got also a firewire device which i use with another computer. shall i try what happens when i use the edirol fa66 as device?

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 02:11:19

Just gone again, only this time all audio output has gone apart from a VERY faint fluttering hiss...

This new driver seems to have made it worse, not better...

I have really tight deadlines for the next 2 weeks - and also a pitch for another job, so this has to get sorted...

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 02:21:32

Is there any way of using Gearbox with a different interface? I like Gearbox a lot, especially the mic pre's. I really think that I need a new interface, but would like to continue using Gearbox.

If not does anybody know of any good software that could replace it? I've got some guitar stuff, which is fine but what about mic pre-amp modelling?

Ideas would be much appreciated...

by the_ear on 2009-04-28 02:32:37

i think you can use any device as i/o and gearbox-plugin just for modelling. before using solely my toneport/gearbox-plugin i used my edirol fa-66 firewire as i/o-device (which has a much better digital/analog-converter: the sound is more transparent, more dynamic less noisy, dull etc.). but it's not the cheapest device...

you can use a device like the edirol as i/o in logic and get the functionality of gearbox via the plugin.

hope that helps you

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 02:38:30

I don't have the Gearbox plug-in, just the gearbox software...

by the_ear on 2009-04-28 02:50:15

podfarm plugin works also. isn't that free for all lin6-hardware/device users? if not, i think line6 should fix the bug or be a bit fair...

... but i think the problem is the expensive new i/o device....

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 02:58:12

Well, Pod Farm is only free if you've got a Toneport DI or UX8, or if you already purchased the Gearbox plug-in. However, that is only if you want to use it with a Line 6 interface - other than that you'd have to buy the iLok version and an iLok key, as well as a new interface.

If only my UX2 was less than 12 months old (it's about 14!)

by mrko5 on 2009-04-28 03:04:38

Just happened again, not as sever this time. Can listen to stuff but there is a slight glitch to it every half a second?  moved the slider and it didnt make any difference...

At this rate I want a new Pod really from Line 6!!!

by the_ear on 2009-04-28 03:14:14

i think it's up to line6 to do sth.

if line6 thinks, customers with devices older than just one year don't deserve any service, they will loose customers - including me.

let's wait 3 days. if nothing happens we should act.

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 03:14:55

I think it's unlikely that it's a hardware issue, so a new POD would have the same problems...

Ideally I want my bloody money back, but I know that's not going to happen! The only solution to keep the same setup would be to buy a new interface, and iLok and Pod Farm.

Maybe Line 6 would think about giving us the iLok Pod Farm license for free as a gesture of good will?

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-28 03:16:05

Still doesn't help with the price of the iLok and interface though...

by Dubnick on 2009-04-28 07:34:27

Just wanted to chime in here again: 

I haven't updated to the 4.1 drivers yet, but I thought I should post my info, because my choppiness issue occurs in the very specific circumstances I had listed above and seems to differ a bit from others(only after having unplugged/turned off the PODxt once; however, like everyone else, once it starts, only solution is to restart, or switch to a different interface):

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-core

PODxt Driver 4.01

6GB RAM

Front USB 2.0 port

Logic 8.02

I seriously doubt, at least in my case, that the hardware is somehow to blame.  I might try the 4.10 drivers, if it will help confirm anything, but for right now, I'm just using the PODxt as a dongle and using my Focuserite Saffire interface.

by drice on 2009-04-28 08:22:13

Hi all,

Line 6 is still looking into this issue.

What recording application are you all running? Since we haven't seen this in house we want to try to recreate your environment as much as we can.

Thanks

-Dan

by Dubnick on 2009-04-28 08:39:26

It effects all apps, so long as the PODxt is selected as the output.  Switching to the computer outputs as audio, everything is normal.   In my circumstance, it is pretty repeatable.  Turning off the PODxt, even with the PODxt deselected as the output, then turning it back on and selecting it as the output = choppiness.  Repeat if need be, but for me, this is what seems to trigger it consistently.  Again, this has only been with driver 4.01 - haven't tried the 4.1 yet and have been using my Saffire instead of the PODxt.

by the_ear on 2009-04-28 11:32:07

my situation is similar to dubnicks: all apps are affected; failure occurs when once toneport was switched off. only starting with plugged-in toneport and never disconnect the device works.

this issue is not when using my edirol firewire i/o device. unless i disconnect the toneport the sound stays alright (no accidental problems).

by mrko5 on 2009-04-29 01:03:52

Just happened again after bringing laptop from sleep and plugging in the port!

by mrko5 on 2009-04-29 05:56:43

Just booted up Reaktor and it kicked off again. 3rd time today!!!

by ricksox on 2009-04-29 10:06:34

Gentlemen,

I have created support ticketss for the following people:

mrko5

mr_ronz

dmorgen

the_ear

I'd like to have all of your system information gatherd and collected within your support tickets. We're working hard to see what's going on here and we appreciate your patience. Please viwe your support tickets and attach and reply with all requested information so Dan and I can continue to investigate. Thanks guys.

Line6Miller

Q: What is a support ticket?
A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

by mr_ronz on 2009-04-30 02:38:02

My ticket is updated...

by Line6Tony on 2009-05-01 16:48:17

Please be alert as we will correspond with you via tickets about this issue moving forward.

Line6Tony

by mr_ronz on 2009-05-02 04:15:32

Will do...

by joshuav on 2009-05-12 07:09:09

I get similar problems with my April 2009 Macbook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM.  I am using a Toneport UX1, connected directly to the MacBook. 

Sounds from my computer are distorted when listened to through the UX1 headphone port.  In addition, the issue appears to also affect the input side, instrument input.  For example, if I setup the UX1 as the input and built-in audio as the output, the problem still occurs.  The sounds from my guitar is distorted and delayed quite a bit, with periodic "blips", for lack of a better word.  I currently have no way to check the mic input or the analog outs.  These sounds occur within Garageband, Logic, Pod Farm, and Gearbox.  The Line6 preferences buffer size slider has no effect on the sound.

No suggestions for a fix. I just wanted to chime in with another system configuration experiencing the problem.

by drice on 2009-05-12 16:56:52

OS X 10.5.7 is now out. Please report back if you get a chance to install it. Is the problem still the same under 10.5.7?

Thanks.

We're still actively pursuing this issue.

-Dan

by aprilia_guy on 2009-05-12 18:00:46

Dan

I just had a chance to try 10.5.7 and it MAY be the solution. It is working after a quick test, more testing to follow

by aprilia_guy on 2009-05-13 18:30:21

Spoke too soon the distortion is back today

by indi78 on 2009-05-14 09:28:53

Hello, I had the same problem with the Toneport UX2. Instead of direct connecting the interface to my old MacBook Pro, I connected that to my powered USB hub, and after the choppy, distorted drop-outs gone away. I found an article, in the M-Audio site that blames the MacBooks left hand side USB ports to this issue.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=685d4c00fca59d8f3679660652bc9655

AndI havent installed the new driver. Give it a try!

Hope, it helps some way!

by ax42 on 2009-05-24 12:35:59

Similar problem to Joshua's, I'm using a Unibody Macbook Pro, 2.8ghz, 4gb RAM.  I am using a Toneport UX1, connected directly to the MacBook Pro.  I get choppiness in the normal sound if I unplug the UX1 for a while (e.g. working on the road) and then plug it back in.  I have now had the additional "fun feature" that Gearbox and Podfarm are choppy even if the main audio output (e.g. iTunes) is fine.

Would appreciate any help on this issue!

Kind regards

ax

by Xerian on 2009-05-24 13:52:35

Same problem here : choppy / distorted sound that occurs when I unplug and then plug back the interface. Only reboot solves the problem.

Macbook Pro 2007 2.4ghz 4gb ram - TonePort UX1. Every application involved (from Digital Performer to iTunes to every OS sound effects).

Update from OSX 10.4.11 to OSX 10.5.7 hasn't helped.

My brother with an iMac aluminium 2008 has no problems at all, with the same UX1 (we're sharing it sometimes).

Any news from the support center ?

by Grillo on 2009-05-25 21:03:01

I have exactly the same reported problem, It happened to me with a Toneport Kb37 and a GuitarPort, both after a while started to generate distorted/choppy sounds and the only solution was to restart the mac.

My mac it's a

Nombre del modelo:    iMac
  Identificador del modelo:    iMac7,1
  Nombre del procesador:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Velocidad del procesador:    2 GHz
  Número de procesadores:    1
  Número total de núcleos:    2
  Caché de nivel 2:    4 MB
  Memoria:    4 GB
  Velocidad del bus:    800 MHz

Running on Leopard 10.5.7

Please help, it's very annoyning and frustrating have to restart the mac every time.

Thanx in advance!

by johanvg on 2009-06-04 11:46:24

Same problem here, using a new POD X3 Pro with all latest drivers, Logic Studio and OSX 10.5.7 on a new iMAc 3.06 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of DDR3 Ram with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 130. Any idea on a fix, this problem is making this unit quite useless in practice.

by Dubnick on 2009-06-04 12:08:37

Still not fixed, huh?  Wow.  Well, at least Line 6 has the opportunity to lay claim to this fine sales tagline:  "Line 6 - when it comes to drivers, we're asleep at the wheel."

by drice on 2009-06-04 13:31:47

Hey all,

We're not asleep at the wheel, in fact, we're actively involved in solving this issue and have even been monitoring this thread since it started.

Thank you for your continued patience. Here's a little update of what's taken place:

This is an issue that we've been unable to reproduce in house, so all we had were clues from this thread and other customers to go on. We wanted to get to the cause of this problem, so we took the step of inviting a customer from this thread to come to Line 6. He was gracious enough to make the trip, and we were able to see the issue for the first time. Through that visit we came up with a few ideas about what the problem could be and were able to rule out many many other scenarios.

Since then, several people from this thread have helped in testing some driver test builds, and have reported to us that our latest build fixed the issue that many of you are reporting. On systems with 4GB+ of ram, the memory allocations become more and more fragmented over time, causing our usb system to not function correctly. If you are experiencing choppy audio that is solved by a reboot, then our next driver release will most likely solve that for you.

We are now in the process of pushing this build through our internal testing and quality assurance. This takes some time, as we have to verify that nothing else was broken in the process of our repairs, bundle it with other fixes, etc.

The home stretch is now upon us. As I said, thanks for your continued patience. I didn't want anyone to think that we are dropping the ball on this. We take these types of issues seriously.

-Dan

by ax42 on 2009-06-04 14:17:39

Thanks for the update - I'm looking forward to this particular annoyance going away!

by rhoster on 2009-06-04 16:02:56

add me to the list of those who are experiencing this.  at first i couldn't get my toneport ux2 to work at all; now it works, but playback and recording of sound is choppy and filled will little bursts of distortion.

i've got an athlon xp2500+, 1.25 GB ram.  the device has worked in the past with no issues but started acting up recently.

by jkmowery on 2009-06-06 18:27:44

Same problem as others. POD Studio UX2 (driver details attached). Here's my system specs:

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac7,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache:    4 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    IM71.007A.B03
  SMC Version (system):    1.20f4

System Version:    Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
  Kernel Version:    Darwin 9.7.0

I'd be more than happy to test and help out in any way...

Here's the only things I know so far. Problem always happens when I launch Gearbox and POD Farm. For system audio it seems to work fine as long as I do not let the mac go into sleep mode (chop returns when returning from sleep). I have set it to never sleep and it works fine for iTunes and other system audio. However, launching Gearbox or POD Farm or Reason or Live results in the chop returning.

by jkmowery on 2009-06-11 13:52:13

How about a case# for this.

by edensoto on 2009-06-17 14:42:30

It's been a while since I plugged in my UX1, but I did to both my MacBook Pro 2.5GHz and my Mac Pro 3GHz and the audio on both is completely garbled and unusable. I bought POD Farm and have the latest everything installed (Monkey, drivers, etc). I'm trying to figure out if my unit is bad, or its a driver issue. I'm running 10.5.7 on both my Macs. Any suggestions?

*UPDATE*

Okay, I see that L6 posted a few messages up. That date was a couple weeks ago, have they released the new drivers yet?

by Grillo on 2009-06-22 19:15:32

And...we are finishing this month without a solution yet, now I can't trust in my line 6 kb37, every time that I have a good music idea it lost the magic because I need to restart the computer. Now I'm uploading an audio showing how bad it sound. What can I do to help fix it ?

by Grillo on 2009-06-22 19:19:14

I thought it will sound distorted/choppy when listen but it sound ok or almost ok when you record it, well stil it's unusable

by edensoto on 2009-06-22 19:19:20

Okay, so I was able to confirm that my UX1 is indeed working 100%, so for me, its definitely a Mac OS X driver issue. I loaded the Line 6 Monkey and POD Farm in Boot Camp in Windows 7 and the UX1 performed perfectly... same unit in Mac OS X, garbled audio and unusable. I'm glad my unit is okay, but I really can't wait to be able to record again without having to boot into Windows.

by willismorse on 2009-06-30 12:29:39

I was having the same problem on my MacBook Pro. If I left the UX1 disconnected for a while, it would play back very choppy in every app when I plugged it back in.

Thanks to the previous post referencing M-Audio's note about left vs right USB ports. As soon as I moved the UX1 to a right side USB port, the UX1 started playing flawlessly again, with no restart.

The M-Audio post says that the left USB port furthest out from the screen should work, too, but that wasn't true for me. The UX1 seems to be flakey on either left port.

I tend to leave the UX1 off (unplugged) for long periods, as I don't play that often. And when I get the urge to play, I want to do it NOW... I can't be waiting around for a restart :-) So hopefully this will continue to work.

- Will

by clusterone on 2009-07-01 08:59:21

i had that kind of problem recently and for me to fix that problem was just this : i just managed to keep the arrows of the levels on the Toneport to the middle and never let it go to maximum level. That means that i had to low down the volume in my mac and then up the volume on Toneport. Since taht time finish the pops, the crackings and the need to replug each time the usb cable. Hope that help

by willismorse on 2009-07-02 09:23:53

Thanks to the previous post referencing M-Audio's note about left vs right USB ports. As soon as I moved the UX1 to a right side USB port, the UX1 started playing flawlessly again, with no restart.

Forget this. It only worked for a while, then I had to restart.

I guess this lends credence to the idea that it's some sort of cumulative memory fragmentation. From what I can tell, the USB ports on the two sides seem to each be on their own bus; presumably they each have their own separately allocated backing memory? Maybe once you fragment the memory backing one bus, you can use the other bus for a while before that memory gets fragmented, too.

Anyway, I hope this gets resolved soon. It's VERY frustrating having to reboot every time I want to play.

I would be willing to test drive the new drivers, if that's an option.

- Will

by fikkser on 2009-07-03 12:22:08

OK. I did not see this thread. I got the same problem. Macbook pro 5.1. 2,4ghz 4gb ddr3. leopard 10.5.7 latest toneport and monkey drivers.

In Windows 7 I get massive choppy/distorted sound SINCE I installed bootcamp drivers, worked before. In OS X I get minor distorted cracks, still too annoying to live with.

Hope you get a fix soon.

by Trets on 2009-07-07 15:36:43

Same issue for me, too. Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Running the latest OS 10.5.7 and TonePort UX2 4.1.0 drivers and GearBox 3.70. It worked well on my "old" MacBook Pro (second generation) which only had 3GB or RAM installed.

Thanks for working on this! I need to use my gear very soon!

by ricksox on 2009-07-10 14:15:20

Hi Guys,

The new Mac driver has been released. PLease download and install it and give it a whirl. This issue should be fixed now. Thanks!

www.line6.com/software

Line6Miller

by edensoto on 2009-07-11 07:20:50

It finally works! Thanks to the developers for coming up with a fix. POD Farm with my UX1 works fantastic with no more audio glitches.

by cweekly on 2009-07-16 20:11:14

OMFG I am so relieved and happy.

I spent an hour here and an hor there trying to figure out why my PodXT Live -> Mac Pro (2.8GhZ Quad-core, 6GB RAM) sounded so horrible.

(Distortion, choppiness, totally useless)

I had checked Line6 Monkey just a day or 2 before the driver update was published, and my timing was just bad.

Thank you Line6 for fixing this. (As a web developer I can relate to the challenges of fixing unreproducible bugs.)

And a bug thank you to the dude who came to you to reproduce it for you.

Peace.

by smackythefrog on 2009-08-01 18:09:58

So,

Im using a PC with 1gb ram and it has worked flawlessly in the past. Recently about every 5-10 seconds I get a dropout in the sound, which obviously renders the product kinda useless. It is intermittent in its malfunction.

any suggestions other than new drivers?

by BirchHill on 2009-08-04 12:46:30

I had problems with choppy/distorted sound as described in this thread, and upgraded to the newest drivers (4.2.3). This causes my mac into kernel panic every time I connect my UX2. The problem was solved by downgrading to gearbox 3.64 (with drivers included). Anyone else having problems with mac and the 4.2.3 drivers?

(Macbook Pro Unibody, 2,53 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM)

by drice on 2009-08-04 14:09:43

Hi BirchHill. It's safe to say we haven't seen the issue you're having.

Can you post the panic file so we can look at it?

The following link explains where to find the panic log file:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2546

Thanks.

-Dan

by whuggy on 2009-09-20 16:25:14

I have the same problem with the choppy audio and I upgraded to the latest drivers (4.2.4). It didn't solve the problem. This is in Snow Leopard (10.6.1).

by bebbehpintah on 2009-09-21 10:44:41

Yup, I have this same problem, too. I didn´t have this problem before I installed Snow Leopard. Since installation I usually have to reboot my macbook at least once in 2 days to fix distorted sound coming from UX8.

by hookshot on 2009-11-03 12:43:59

add me to the list. mbp (late 2008) with 10.6.1, 4gb, 500gb hdd and drivers 4.2.4

line6, this is gettin really annoying. and stop blaming apple for everything. other audio producers dont have these problems.

by andr3vv on 2009-12-30 18:08:17

im having the exact same problem only it happens every 30 second so the things completely useless ill never buy ;ine 6 again

by bebbehpintah on 2009-12-30 21:13:33

My problem solved after  I installed 4.2.5 driver. No more distorted sound.

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1576

by GHPoe on 2010-03-14 20:55:46

I am getting this about everytime I sit down and try to use the UX2.  A reboot fixes the problem.

In POD Farm if I goto about it says I am using version 4.22 so is the problem back?

by dmorgen on 2010-03-15 05:57:53

I'm also getting the problem again frequently when I start Gearbox.  I'm using a GuitarPort on Snow Leopard.  Generally, I can solve the problem by unplugging the USB cable, then plugging it back in.

Dave

by ax42 on 2010-03-15 06:38:01

Similar but opposite problem here - everything is fine after a reboot, but if I unplug/replug the Toneport (eg to move the laptop) I always get choppy sound.

by drice on 2010-03-15 11:08:26

Can you all please confirm the driver version that you are using listed in the Line 6 Control Panel?

Thanks for your feedback.

-Dan

by dmorgen on 2010-03-15 11:34:12

Driver Version 4.2.5..

I just remembered another problem ... the last few times I've started Gearworks after using my system for awhile (I haven't narrowed it down further), my system totally hangs.  The only thing that works is cursor movement, but not clicks.  I can't force quit, restart, etc. ... I must power down & up to get back going.  But if I start Gearworks immediately after the startup is completed, there are no problems, even if I use it on & off for hours (I haven't actually timed it).

Dave

by drice on 2010-03-15 11:40:49

OK you're not running the latest driver or gearbox. Can you please i nstall Gearbox 3.72 and let me know if your problems persist? The latest mac driver is 4.6.8 which has official support for Snow Leopard.

by ax42 on 2010-03-15 14:36:09

How does one install this version of the driver?  I had to install my current version (4.2.6) by choosing a beta download off the website.......  Will Line6 Monkey install the correct version for me?

by ricksox on 2010-03-15 14:39:55

Hello,

Gearbox 3.72 is slated for release later this week so you won't see it just yet. Download the latest non beta driver (4.6.8) from our software downlaods page and let us know if you continue to suffer from glitches on playback. Thanks.

http://line6.com/software/index.html

Line6Miller

by wkriski on 2010-03-22 18:48:41

I have 4.68 mac driver and am getting crackling with podxt on imac in the latest garageband. If I turn down the channel vol or turn on the tuner the crackling stops (just fyi). There also doesn't seem to be the crackling when I record myself in iMovie. I'm assuming it's a mac driver issue as it works fine on my pc (I just checked). I increased the buffer to full size and it still happens, turned off airport. It seemed to be working fine until the last couple days. I reinstalled garageband and variety of other attempts with Apple support until we ran of out things to try (reset power management, p ram, etc).

Please advise.

Thanks

by MasterSimons on 2010-05-16 19:48:56

Hey, I need help on this same issue. I have a macbook pro with a TonePort UX2. It runs perfectly fine and plays audio back just fine. However, if i unplug the usb from the mac, and i plug it back in, it starts the nasty crackling when i play an audio file. I need help with this. A simple restart solves the problem, but i don't want to have to restart my computer every time i plug in my TonePort. Any suggestions Line6 Team or anyone else? If not, then there should definitely be a patch if this is a software issue.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.