These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 Problem - Sensitive parameter controls / Parameters jumping
by KimPan on 2009-09-14 00:13:31

Hey there. First off, I want to say that I really like the m13 unit, and have found some sweet sounds in there.

Although, I've noticed some problems lately, and I was wondering if it has been fixed in the update, or if nothing has been done to fix the issue. (I have a version 1.02)

It has to do with the effect parameters.

Example:

I´ve adjusted a sound to taste in effect unit 2, where I've turned the mix on a synth sound almost all the way up.

During a song, I choose another patch from effect unit 2, which is a delay sound.

I notice that something doesn't sound right, and when I look down i see that the feedback of the delay has jumped up to being all the way up, consistent with the knob adjusting the parameter.

To me, it appears like the knob had been moved a tiny, tiny bit (maybe from bass vibrations or because of the stage rocking) which in turn, changed the parameter of the delay from almost all the way down, to being maxed out.

Is something wrong with the unit, or is it an issue that has been fixed in an update/is supposed to be fixed? This thing happened again to me during a gig yesterday, and I need a unit I can rely on, without having parameters jumping all over.

Thanks. /Kim

Re: M13 Problem - Sensitive parameter controls / Parameters jumping
by RichRenken on 2009-09-14 00:16:48

KimPan wrote:

Hey there. First off, I want to say that I really like the m13 unit, and have found some sweet sounds in there.

Although, I've noticed some problems lately, and I was wondering if it has been fixed in the update, or if nothing has been done to fix the issue. (I have a version 1.02)

It has to do with the effect parameters.

Example:

I´ve adjusted a sound to taste in effect unit 2, where I've turned the mix on a synth sound almost all the way up.

During a song, I choose another patch from effect unit 2, which is a delay sound.

I notice that something doesn't sound right, and when I look down i see that the feedback of the delay has jumped up to being all the way up, consistent with the knob adjusting the parameter.

To me, it appears like the knob had been moved a tiny, tiny bit (maybe from bass vibrations or because of the stage rocking) which in turn, changed the parameter of the delay from almost all the way down, to being maxed out.

Is something wrong with the unit, or is it an issue that has been fixed in an update/is supposed to be fixed? This thing happened again to me during a gig yesterday, and I need a unit I can rely on, without having parameters jumping all over.

Thanks. /Kim

That may be a funky pot. I forget what it is called, but it is very rare.

Does it seem to alway be the same particular pot?

by KimPan on 2009-09-14 03:49:59

Don't really now, actually. This has happened only a couple times so far, so I haven't really noticed if it's the same one.

So this is not something a software update would fix? In that case, that sucks balls because I bought it second hand which means I can't get it repaired for free, or get a new one. Can i repair it myself then? Easy fix, maybe?

by ricksox on 2009-09-15 11:28:34

Hello,

You should reinstall the firmware in the M13 anyway just to absolutely make sure it is not just a software glitch.

It would be really great to know if it keeps happening on the same knob. We call these knobs "encoders" and if the same one is acting jittery then it may very well be a bad encoder. This would require a hardware fix but should be a relatively inexpensive repair considering it's ease.

Line6Miller

by KimPan on 2009-09-15 11:49:42

Okay. yes I will do that when i get my new audio/midi-interface to my computer.

I hear rumours about making in the new update a better solution for the parameters, not to jump to the same value as the knob currently is as soon as you start turning it.

If this update would fix that issue, would it also take care of the problems I am having, even if it's a bad encoder?

/Kim

by ChaChing on 2009-09-16 08:35:20

It is possible...that is why you should do the update first.

If that doesn't work, pay specific attention to the knob you are having issues with. If it is the encoder you will have this issue with more than just one effect so any parameter on that encoder will respond the same way. Also see if it is happening on any other parameters.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.