These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Playing MIDI keyboard through X3L
by welliott on 2009-09-15 22:12:16

Hi.  I hooked up my MIDI controller to the X3 Live and, for the most part, it works great.  There's just one thing:

...and I'm kinda new w/ MIDI, so sorry if I use the wrong terms, etc...

Does the X3L not pass the "key signals"?  Only the program change signals?  I plug the MIDI controller directly into the computer and can play all the soft synths etc. in Acid.  So I thought you could plug the MIDI controller into the X3L, and then plug the X3L's MIDI out/thru into the computer.   Basically just using the X3L as a middle-man.  (It sounds stupid and pointless, but there's a reason I wanna do this.  And I'm just curious, too.)

Is this not possible?

Thanks!

Re: Playing MIDI keyboard through X3L
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-09-15 23:16:27

The POD X3 Live is not a MIDI sound module.  It doesn't have a MIDI synth chip in it to turn MIDI instrument performance data into sound.

The MIDI ports on the POD X3 Live are purely for control purposes.

Cheers,

Crusty

by mimungr on 2009-09-16 06:26:19

No, it doesn't pass Note On/Off messages. It doesn't pass SysEx either. Well, at least I've never gotten either to work. And there's probably a bunch of others, too. It doesn't have a true MIDI through. The only stuff I know for sure that it will pass through are Program Change and Control Change.

by welliott on 2009-09-16 09:01:36

Awesome, thanks guys.

by MikeAshelby on 2011-10-08 08:40:34

That is soo annoying! I play keys and electric guitar, and sing. I've just spent ages working on a setup that uses syncs patch changes between the x3l and the computer that I use for the synth... However, for simplicity, I was going to plug the keyboard through the X3L (I also only currently have 1 midi-in on my computer)... but it seems this won't work...

Why on earth doesn't the X3L pass midi-notes... It just needs to ignore them and pass them on - not do anything with them. This is another example of poor forethought from line6.

Very dissappointed.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.