These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

by smithlords on 2009-09-20 04:35:37

I am looking for some fuses for my LINE 6 Spider III head. I need a T2.0A/250V Time Delay Fuse. If you have them in stock I would love to purchase some. If not can you direct me to where I can get some.

Chris Smith

by Nick_Mattocks on 2009-09-20 06:43:51

I'm guessing you are probably in Europe and possibly in the UK.  Apologies if I'm wrong, but if you are in the UK, these fuses are stocked in the UK at most branches of Maplin in packs of ten and they aren't expensive.  Failing that you could try your local guitar shop as this type of fuse is very common in guitar amps from a number of manufacturers as well as other equipment.

I don't mean to be patronising but don't be tempted to put in a fuse of a higher rating than is required under any circumstances :-).  Fuses blow for a reason..... i.e. to protect you first and to protect your equipment second.  Unless you are competent to diagnose and fix whatever fault caused the fuse to blow in the first place, I would advise that you get your gear to an authorised service centre for further investigation rather than risk your safety or potential further damage to your equipment.

by smithlords on 2009-09-20 07:10:22

I am in the UK, but I am an american I bought the amp head and cab in the US and I want to run it here. I looked all over and I wasnt sure if I was finding the correct size as well as amp rating ect. I am an electronics tecnician by trade so I know not to over amp. Thanks for the tip I will check there asap.


by Nick_Mattocks on 2009-09-20 07:42:31

OK - just be absolutely certain that you can run your amp on the UK mains system.  I'm  certain that a US model is not user configurable to run at our higher voltages here in the UK.  As far as I am aware there is no switch on the back of your amp to allow for different voltage inputs.  I have a Spider III 150 2x12 combo and a Spider IV 150 combo (as of last Saturday) and neither of those amps has the option for me to change voltages.

Your amp is set to receive 110v AC 60Hz from the mains in the US, however here in the UK the mains supply is rated at 240v AC 50Hz.  The difference in Hz is probably neither here nor there but the voltage difference is important.  If you plug your amp into a UK mains outlet, you will be giving it more than twice the voltage it expects and this will definitely damage it!!  DON'T plug the amp in to the UK system without using a 240v AC to 110vAC step-down transformer or getting the amp modified by a qualified technician.  I think this could possibly entail fitting a different mains transformer inside the amp as I'm pretty sure I've read before when this same topic has been discussed that the mains transformers fitted don't have alternative voltage taps like a lot of other makes do - I might be wrong on that so check it out.

If you have already tried your US amp in the UK, I hope the fuse did its job and popped ultra quickly and saved your amp from serious damage, but without wishing to be too alarmist - often the damage is done before the fuse actually gets chance to pop.  Fingers crossed you haven't tried the amp and if you have, that the amp is OK.  The Spider III has been recently discontinued in favour of the Spider IV range.  In the worst case scenario there may be some good secondhand Spider III amps (inc mine) for sale or some new ones at a good price if you look on the Web for UK based Line 6 outlets - although I hope it doesn't come to that.

If your amp is so far undamaged, Maplin amongst others do offer UK to USA step-down transformers, but you'd need to check whether they're beefy enough to supply your amp with sufficient current.

Message was edited by: nickmattocks

Sorry - I initially missed the bit about you being an electronics engineer - of course you'll know about all the current ratings and step down transformer stuff :-)

by smithlords on 2009-09-20 09:11:48

I am a satcom systems engineer, but working on amps is a new hobby although I have been playing guitar for years. The back panel of the amp read as follow for input current and voltage; 100V-120V=T4.0A 125V time delay fuse, and 220-240V=T2.0A/250V. I take this to mean it will run on UK mains with a fuse change. Obviously a lower (2) amperage protection with higher voltage passage. I could be wrong but that is what is listed in the manual as well. I'm thinking since the new fuses are rated at two Amps I am gonna chance it as they will blow sooner than what the american factory installed it with. What do you think?


by Nick_Mattocks on 2009-09-20 11:12:25

Hi Smitty

I'm 99% sure your amp doesn't have auto-voltage sensing and that being the case it won't automatically adjust the input voltage for correct operation in the UK.  You need to verify this with Line 6 Tech Support to be absolutely sure.  I definitely wouldn't risk it without assurances from Line 6.  This has been discussed on these forums quite a lot in the past.  Simply changing the fuse won't change the internal transformer input winding tap (if there is one - and on these amps I don't think the transformers are tapped for different voltages like they would be on say a traditional Marshall - I think it would require a complete transformer swap OR an external step-down transformer which will take 240v AC on the input side, but will give out the required 110v AC on the output side - this is your best bet).  The markings on the back of your amp state pretty clearly that it expects 100v - 120v AC and that's what you have to give it.  It's not like most laptop computer PSUs which will tolerate quite big differences in input voltage and which in most cases can be used safely all over the world.  If you try putting 240v into your amp, the output of the internal transformer will be approximately double what the amp's circuit is expecting and the internal current will be different (higher) than the circuit and components expect too.  The end result will not be good, with a blown fuse at best and probably failed components all through the circuit and probably a dead amplifier.  Without putting too fine a point on it, the fuse will not go bang quickly enough and any damage to internal components will happen quicker than the time it takes for the fuse to blow - in other words pretty much an instantaneous failure will occur.  I have personally seen the results of people plugging things in to the wrong input voltage - not pleasant!  As a colleague of mine used to say: 'I've seen plenty of cases where the circuit has laid down its life to protect the fuse' and that is unfortunately very often the case.

The manual states the fuse values for both European/UK 220-240v models and for US 110v models.  The model types aren't interchangeable.  The basic circuitry inside UK and US models is the same and the internal voltage/current as supplied to ther circuit boards is the same, but the method of getting those voltages and currents is different because of the different input voltages and consequently the mains transformers used in the US models are different to those used in UK models.

There are a number of people who have participated in these forums who have experienced costly failures because they've plugged their gear manufactured for use in the US into a European mains outlet.  Maplin do a couple of step-down transformers with the more expensive one being about £40. This one might be good enough - it's supposed to handle equipment up to 300w - something capable of handling up to 450w would be better though.   You'd need to check it is capable of providing enough current to keep your amp happy without getting too hot and failing itself.  You might be better looking for something a bit more chunky than the Maplin step-down transformers TBH.  They do exist.

The power input on the back of my UK model Line 6 Spider IV 150w combo which I have right in front of me now states the input needs to be 240v AC, 50 - 60Hz, 450w Max and that is going to be pretty much the same for the Spider III 150w amp (I can get my Spider III 150w amp out to look if necessary), but that doesn't really help you as your amp is intended for the US.


by smithlords on 2009-09-21 00:11:16

I appreciate all your help. I think the most intelligient way to do this is to use a step down transformer. The confusing part is that the amp shows both voltage option on the rear panel. There is no switch and I have not opened it up to see if there is multiple wiring taps or a switchable tranformer inside. It states that for 110V use this fuse and for 240V use this other one. No more no less.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2009-09-22 03:12:29

Yep.  I can see why you are confused - the labelling you've described does seem to be a bit ambiguous.  I do think that the best way is to use it with a step-down transformer.  You can use this with other gear too - it's probably better to spend a little on this rather than risk losing your amp to over-voltage.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.