These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

it is possible to use UX1 tones on like gear?
by angralitux on 2009-10-03 18:08:34

Well, I dont know how to start, I bought a while ago a Tone port UX1, but it didn't get too much use, I was attracted by the possibility to use the included recording software to help me do some backtracks lines (mainly bass, and drums), but seems like I'm to dumb to learn, so I just let it on my desktop getting dust.

A few days ago, my X-fi broke, so I started to use UX1 as a sound card, and tried a few of the models that come with Gearbox, and WOW! I have two days playing with this little marvel, and I'm so hooked to it that I need to take the tones I created on stage, so I was thinking if there's a way to do that, besides getting a laptop live :S.

Also, I see there's a new version of the UX1, that uses no more the Gearbox software I'm using right now, despite I updated the software, it is possible to get this software instead of gearbox? also, will I lost my tones???

Thanks!!

Re: it is possible to use UX1 tones on like gear?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-10-03 18:19:15

If you want those tones without having a computer on stage then it's time to buy a POD.  Either a PODxt Live or POD X3 Live would be the best way to go.

Cheers,

Crusty

by angralitux on 2009-10-03 18:22:30

Can I get my tones loaded on a POD? that's GREAT!! can it be a POD XT live or the regular bean shaped thing?

by Rowbi on 2009-10-04 00:08:16

it can be either.  XT bean, live or pro.  the sounds are the same in all XT's it's the other features that change, like foot pedals or no foot pedals, etc.

although be warned the XT's sounds are very very similar but not the sasme as POD Farm or Gearbox.

let me explain.

the samples are the same, but on the PODxt series they are at a lower sample rate, as the XT was first released in 2002 so its processors aren't as fast as a PC processor (which runs the software for your toneport/pod studio) or an X3 series, which is only 2 years old.

so if you want the same sounds you will need an X3 series POD.  if you don't mind the sounds being very slightly different, but still essentially the same, get the XT.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2009-10-04 00:14:44

+1

The POD X3 series is worth the extra bucks.  The PODxt is only good for guitar and bass (it won't do vocals) and you will need to add the model packs.  The POD X3 series gives you all the guitar, bass and vocal capabilities of the UX1 without having to spend more money on model packs.

Cheers,

Crusty

by angralitux on 2009-10-04 09:02:39

by sampled you mean A/D - D/A conversion rate? I didnt expect that it would be essentially identical, but very close, because even if identical, the circunstances live can make a great studio rig, sound different when live.

I had a look at what POD XT models where, and every one that's on my created tones of UX1 are present, so I understand I will not have to buy amps expansion packs. God, I love the Class A simulations!! they are so great, I cant believe its happening and all the time I had it in front of me!

by Rowbi on 2009-10-04 09:25:48

you are correct the stock toneport UX1 actually has less models than the stock XT.

so I don't mean the A/D-D/A convertors in the box. I mean the DSP in the POD processes your signal and applies the amp simulation and FX to your basic guitar tone.  it uses some info that Line6 programs in to apply those sounds using the DSP.  it's the information that's programmed in that tells the DSP how detailed to make the sound, which is based on a sample of sound taken from the real life amps.  the XT uses a lower sample rate for that than the X3... or at least that's how I think it works in laymans terms.

if anyone could explain it better, fire away.

by angralitux on 2009-10-04 10:25:48

oh, I'm fine with just the guitar input, because is intended to be used live situation, and I seldom do more than just backing vocals.

In fact, I did get one cheap from flea bay I hope it will not dissapoint me, performance wise!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.