These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Spider III and Pod X3 Live - Getting the best out of them together.
by DFlynn666 on 2009-10-06 14:59:50

Hi everyone, this is a new thread about making the spider II and pod x3 live working together efficiantly

Here, you can share any knowlege or tips on how to do this with the rest of the community.

However to start the thread, I have a question. . . . .

I own both the Spider III HD150 with 4x12 cab, and now the Pod X3 Live. I want to use the x3 live in conjunction with all my custom presets on my spider. Pretty much using the pod as a pedal board for live purposes.

right now, I am running the pod through the instrument input jack on the amp so the amp can be used. on the pod, all modeling is turned off (being the amp and cab models) to allow the amp to do the modelling. The only modelling the pod is doing is the stompboxes, effects and wah, which are only turned on by tapping the footswitches, like a normal pedalboard.

Only problem is, when the pod is used, the spider has become very trebley, and high end. I have tryed to solve this with EQ's, output changes on the pod and other things which i cannot remember right now. If anyone has this problem and solved it, or if Line 6 knows the exact way to solve this, then if you can tell me how to solve this as I am very enthusiactic about making the 2 products work in unison with each other.

exact settings for the pod to fix this problem would be much appreciated, however, if one person can only point in the right direction, this would be awesome as well.

Dont forget, any other ways to set up the pair to work together is also appreciated for the tread.

Re: Spider III and Pod X3 Live - Getting the best out of them together.
by AndyParedes on 2009-10-08 15:59:45

Hello,

You may want to try different "output" settings.  Start with Stack front" and try the EQ option on the POD X3 to see if you can get a sound that works for you.  Se chapter 6 in the manual for more information.

by DFlynn666 on 2009-10-08 19:05:51

Thanks, I shall try this

Although, would I be right in saying that the spider III is naturally very trebley in sound, especially when played through a pod x3 live?

If that is the case (which I think it is, then I will have a look at cutting the high end to fix the problem)

Also, appologies if this may be an obvious question, but what settings would be a good place to start to get a good clean sound for a distorted signal provided by the pod to go on top of it. for example, should all the knobs be pointing towards 12 oclock, or should they be at a known set value that would get the best sound out of the pod?

Sorry if this is obvious, or silly, but I am hoping that this will maybe even get a discussion going that the line 6 community can share all their ideas about getting good tones with the pod/spider combination.

(comes back to the computer after a while) I tryed out changing the settings, it helped a little bit, however, I think it needs a bit more work on it. . . . . it changes the sound, but not by much. Major changes are needed, however, the settings are at minimum. What I have managed to do is change the output settings to stack front as suggested by line 6 andy (thanks by the way) and ajust the high, low and focus settings, however, this only solved part of this problem. It was still enough to make ears bleed hehe

What I can add to this is if an entire EQ setup is added (making sure there are no models turned on by the pod). Use this to maximise the lows, pretty much cut the highs, and compensate if needed with the mids. I also found if you add a "modern" preamp in the preamp models list  into the mix (making sure no cab modeling is engaged) this deepens the sound again slightly. I havent messed with the settings for that yet, but seems to do something.

Anyway, hope this will help along with line 6 andy's advice as well for anyone else who may be trying to emulate a bypass through the pod, and into the spider.

If anyone can think of anything else, or share some tricks they know for getting the spider and pod to work together well, let me know

by DFlynn666 on 2009-10-10 08:29:25

in addition to the last post I made, with regards to adding the preapm in on the pod - dont do it, i have been playing with it on for a few hours, and it totally killed the tone

I still havent managed to get the sound quite right yet, but I am keeping on trying.

If anyone has found out how to get the sound as close to a bypass sound as possible, can they let me know (in terms of EQ values etc) (exact values are much appreciated)

please help

by Jay_A on 2009-10-10 15:56:47

Start with the red clean tone on the spider and the EQs set at 50% across the board and adjust to your taste from there. Try the Green Clean tone as well and see what results you get. I use a red clean tone and it works pretty good for me.

by DFlynn666 on 2009-10-11 16:06:23

Thanks Jay_A, awesome

I have set a channel on my amp for that now, and managed to get s sweet tone form doing the pod/spider combination that way.

Now just working on the bypass sound.

Again, if anyone else has more info, please let me know

by Crazypain on 2012-05-05 07:05:49

There is a trick to spider to get an clear amp
Hold tap button and turn the power on

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.