These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Live USB recording Latency problem
by cakire82 on 2009-10-08 09:06:28

Hi!

I would like to thank you all in advance for your time and concern. I have recently purchased a POD X3 Live. I have installed line6 monkey, drivers and all the latest updates along with the firmware.

When I try to use CuBase 4 for recording I cannot get the latency below 15ms which causes a noticeable echo effect. How can I lower the latency under 6ms?

When I try to use Audacity 1.2.6 latency problem does not occur anymore but when I record long audio what I play starts to change after 2mins. The rhythms I play does not match with drum tracks after 2mins. Does anyone have an idea why this can be happening?

I have Dell laptop with an Intel Dual Core centrino processor (T7200 – 2Ghz - 2MB cache) with 2GB of RAM and USB2 connectivity

Kind Regards,

Cakire82

Re: POD X3 Live USB recording Latency problem
by Jay_A on 2009-10-08 09:28:06

A number of things come to mind. How are you monitoring? Do you have the input and output devices on your computer set to the x3? Is there anything running on your computer that is using a lot of CPU processing ability? Any programs/processes running on your computer eating RAM? (2 GB in xp great but 2 GB in vista is the minimum of what I reccomend to my clients.) How do you have audacity set? Audio buffer settings? Are you using ASIO drivers?

Use ASIO drivers and lower your audio buffers. Monitor through the x3 and make sure your soundcard is set for the x3 on bioth input and output.

by ricksox on 2009-10-09 14:07:58

+1 to the post above. It sounds like a monitoring issue so start there. Also, make sure you are using the POD ASIO drivers.

Line6Miller

by cakire82 on 2009-10-10 09:24:48

Being a computer engineer I am pretty comfortable with computers but I am new to recording and audio engineering. Thank you for all your advices.

I am working on a XP operating system. I have attached screen shots of my task manager. You will see that average of %5 CPU use and ~600MB ram usage is pretty optimal. I don’t attach any other USB device during my recording sessions and everything is recorded to my local hard drive.

I have set to buffer size to minimum which was 128. I am using X3 both input and output. I am monitoring through X3 live also. ( I can hear myself from X3 while recording) I am using ASIO Line6 POD X3 Live drivers for recording in both Audacity and CuBase.

I Still have no idea what I am during wrong. Thank you for all your time and concern again.

Kind Regards,

Cakire82

by Jay_A on 2009-10-10 16:22:02

Check the "show processes for all users" to see all processes running on your computer. Also, that 597MB is your pagefile useage and not your memory usage. Page file is also known as your swap file. Basically that is the portion of the hard drive that stores files that do not fit in active memory. It has nothing to do with your RAM. In your pictures you are using 716412Kb of RAM. Look in the lower left and look at total physical memory and then subtract the available memory and you see how much RAM you are using. For a XP machine that is decent but not what I would consider optimal considering the minimum requirements for XP is 64MB and the microsoft recommended is 256MB. I recommend to my clients that they use at least 512 MB as minimum and 1 GB as maximum. You do not see as large of a performance increase going from 1 GB to 2GB in XP most of the time. Sorry for rambling, 24 years as a professional IT technician and owing my own IT consulting business makes me try to teach some of the basics sometimes.

How are you monitoring your sound. I suspect that might be the issue since you said you are using the ASIO Line6 POD X3 Live drivers (I am assuming for both input and output). Are you monitoring through the headphone jack, the 1/4 inch out, or the XLR connections?

by cakire82 on 2009-10-12 06:48:03

Thank you for the clarification on the RAM issue. At least we have established that I have enough resources available, right?

I am not using headphones for monitoring; I am able to hear myself from the amp connected to my X3 Live using 1/4 inch out.

What is the best way to monitor? Directly from the computer? Instead of signal going back to X3 live and AMP?

Do you think this might be the problem? How can I overcome this? Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Cakire82

by silverhead on 2009-10-12 08:05:03

I find the best way to monitor while recording is to use the X3 headphones (especially if recording vocals - otherwise you'll get feedback through the mic). I also turn off the monitoring within my DAW to eliminate latency while recording.

by cakire82 on 2009-10-12 11:16:55

Can you still monitor from your headphones while the monitoring in your DAW is off?

by silverhead on 2009-10-12 11:47:18

Yes - once the X3 is defined as your ASIO device for audio input/output, the X3 receives all sound from your DAW - and the headphones monitor the sound through the X3.

by cakire82 on 2009-10-12 12:50:06

It sounds like the same scenario I have. Instead of headsets I am using an Amp. Right?

Am I missing the difference? I am using my amp for monitoring just like a headset, where the output is received from my DAW to my X3Live and routed to my Amp.

by cakire82 on 2009-10-13 04:15:16

You can see how I configured my ASIO driver and give me some tips maybe. I have attached 2 screenshots. Thanks again!

Kind Regards,

Cakire82

by TheRealZap on 2009-10-13 05:59:55

you need to make these selections in your DAW not in the control panel.

by ricksox on 2009-10-13 10:03:06

Hello,

Here's how I would set it up:

Plug the POD X3 into your computer via USB and make sure all of your drivers are installed properly.

Plug the Left analog output of the POD into the Input of your amp.

In your computer preferences, set the POD to be your external sound card. (Windows>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, Mac>System Preferences>Sounds).

I'd set my ASIO driver to 512/24 bit and set my buffer slider ONE notch from the left.

Launch Cubase and make sure that the bit depth and sample rate settings in your project are set the SAME as your ASIO settings.

In Cubase create and Audio Track and turn your monitoring OFF on the track. The MONITOR button in Cubase is a little SPEAKER icon next to the record enable button.

Try that out and see if that helps.

Line6Miller

by cakire82 on 2009-10-14 05:44:26

I have applied all the steps you have mentioned but it still not any better. 512 buffer for ASIO didn't work well. I have decreased it to 256.

Kept the bit depth as 24bit. And increased the USB streaming buffer 1 notch (tried 2 notch also but latency was increased again)

I have tried pretty much every single combination but the results were same for Audacity and Cubase. So i have installed Adobe Audition.

Latency is much better with settings are back to the screen shots I have sent.(128/32 and minimum USB streaming buffer)

But now I have a crackling sound problem. When I play and record everything sounds fine but when I play it back I can hear the crackling in the sound.

Like small glitches here an there. I have tried with both clean tone and distortion. Any advice?

Regards,

Cakire82

by cakire82 on 2009-10-15 06:55:53

I gave another shot and everything seems to working fine with Adobe Audition right now. I highly recommend this tool for beginners like me. Simple, fast and accurate (at least to my untrained ears)

Here are the list of changes I have made;

- Bios update onmy laptop

- Restart

- Chipset drivers update

- Restart

- Uninstall Line 6 X3 live drivers

- Clean the registry and left overs

- Restart

- Install Line 6 X3 live drivers

- Left the driver setting at default. (512/24 and USB streaming buffer 3-4 montches from the left)

- Restart

After all these steps every thing was perfect. No latecy problems! No crackling sound!

Thank you all for your time and concern!

Regards,

Cakire82

by TheRealZap on 2009-10-15 07:58:47

i used to use adobe... until i got into some midi territory and then it fell apart... ableton helped with that immensely.

by cakire82 on 2009-10-15 10:52:01

I don't know how you are using MIDI but I found out that version 3 has much more MIDI features than the previous versions.

Regards,

Cakire82

by TheRealZap on 2009-10-15 11:45:49

it had the features and i was using 3, but didn't map right with the VSTi's, i really only use the MIDI primarily for my vdrums... occasionally some light keys... but it was too much hassle in the end... with abletons great tutorials was easier to get up and running that way

by philasonic on 2009-10-21 22:14:51

For what it's worth, I disagree with the notion that 1GB of RAM is a maximum recommendation and that anything more is hardly noticeable.

Max out your RAM if you are using your computer to record on Windows XP.

If you are using another OS that can address more than 4GB of memory, then consider using more than that.

I too am an IT professional of 15 years.

I don't use a computer for recording for a whole bunch of reasons, the problems listed above being only part of it.

And consider investing some time learning some of the fundamental principles and concepts of audio recording and engineering.  It is an art and practice which can take a lifetime to master.  Education and lots of time spent practicing can help you go far with whatever tools you end up using.

It's not about the tools, it's about the music.

by cakire82 on 2009-11-05 04:16:30

I think I started to understand what you are saying lately. I have installed Battery 3 as a drum sampler but I could not get it to work right as a VSTi.

After I have installed Battery and some other VSTi it is taking forever to add a MIDI track even in to a blank session. I think I will give it a try to ableton.

Thanks for the advice....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.