These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: JM4 Looper

Using JM4 without Amp, Effects AND Guitar sounds possible?
by Ilenburg on 2009-10-13 14:31:50

Hello,

my name is Axel and I'm from Germany. Therefore please excuse my bad english.

I want to use the JM4 only as a Looper and rhythm device NOT as a effect device. Any effects or sound settings I want to made directly at my Hughes&Kettner-Amp.

I have connected the JM4 to the FX-Loop of my Amp, this works fine.

Then I have set the Amp model and Effects to Bypass mode.

The problem for me are the guitar sounds (Artist, style, user).

It seems that they are not active after power on the JM4. Is that correct?

Or are they always active and I can't switch them off?

Obviously after entering the menu with the Tone-Button the JM4 changes its settings to the shown guitar sound and I have no chance to switch it off.

The only thing that will work in this case is to power off the JM4. When again powered on the guitar sound seems to be switched off.

I hope you understand what I try to say. ;-)

Bye,

Axel

Re: Using JM4 without Amp, Effects AND Guitar sounds possible?
by anthonykenny on 2009-10-16 23:01:13

Hi Axel,

Yur English is perfectly OK. Look at the advice on this entry ( JM4 with classical/acoustic guitar ) in the forum. It explains to acoustic guitar players how to use the looper with zero effects

Best regards

Tony Kenny

by Line6Hugo on 2009-10-19 10:36:07

+1 to anthonykenny

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Please make sure to award points to helpful & correct responses to your questions.

by anthonykenny on 2009-10-19 11:20:10

Thanks Guy

Mucho appreciado

Tony

by Ilenburg on 2009-10-20 02:39:54

Hello Toni,

thank you very much for your answer. I have used your suggestion and it nearly works.
I say nearly because I have to use/select a Mic/Aux presets and the settings for eq, delay, reverb, comp.
Manipulation of these settings causes a different sound, which means that it is not clear which of them is the Original sound (sound as if the JM4 is not connected) of the guitar and Amp.

In the meantimne I found out that when I have accidentally selected an artist, style or user I came back to the sound before (without these settings) by selecting an Amp model and switch back the amp model to Bypass mode.

I tried to compare the sounds without and with JM4 in the effect loop of my amp.
It seems that the original sound of my guitar and amp is "nearly" the sound when I enter the bypass mode. Bypass mode for me is when I set amp and effects to bypass and did not select any artist/style/user.
Can this be possible? Or has the JM4 still any influence on the guitar/amp sound when in bypass mode?

Kind regards,
  Axel

by anthonykenny on 2009-10-20 11:24:18

Hey Axel,

Nice to hear from you. If you want tokeep a specific sound that suits your needs you need to record a short excerpt on the looper then put it on an SD card; When you want to reuse the effect , you download from the card back onto the looper and yippee it's there. You then press slowly two times on undo on the pedal to clear. You still have the sound you want & yuou are ready to loop. If at any moment you change something on the looper, you can't come back. You have to download your sound again. Practically speaking, it only takes a few seconds.  Do the following to create & keep your sound on your SD card:

What I do is work off of one of the Mic/Aux presets (I work from Acoustic Pickup 1) & tweak it to my satisfaction (eq, delay, reverb, comp). push your Settings/Tone button until you see a list of options, & spin your dial down till you see 3 lines of options for Mic/Aux settings. Enter them & find your sound). Then, I toggle to Recording, & make a four second recording loop, & save it to a meaningful name on an SD card. When I want this custom Mic/Aux preset for my acoustic guitar again, all I need to do is select this recording loop and transfer to the looper.

Good luck Axel & let me know how you manage

Best regards

Tony

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.