These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV Master Volume knob design problem
by MarcusC on 2009-10-27 23:16:52

I don't know if this is a feature or not (probably a bug). The master volume knob does not increase the volume in a linear manner. If you turn the knob from 0 to 10, you just about reach the top volume at around 3. From there on is only a marginal increase of volume.

This makes it really hard to set a desirable volume level between 0 and 3. The knob is too sensitive. Any small knob movement you're either too loud or too soft. On the other hand, turning the knob between 3 and 10 does not affect the volume level very much.

Is this a bug?

RE: Spider IV Master Volume knob design problem
by AndyParedes on 2009-10-29 15:10:42

Hello,

Most guitar amps will not have linear pots. Early Line 6 amplifiers did have them, but guitarists complains so the design was changed to the more "traditional" volume pot used in other guitar amps. Because of this type of pot you will notice ramp ups and drops offs in different locations around the dial.

Please let us know if you need further assistance, or close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

Re: RE: Spider IV Master Volume knob design problem
by MarcusC on 2009-10-30 02:35:35

Thank you for the answer. I understand tube amps have a similar volume curve but I personally don't like it at this extreme for practical reasons.

I'm either fighting the master volume knob over sensitivity around 1-3 or the under sensitivity around 4-10. My Fender Bassman is not as sensitive and it's nice...

In the end I think this is more of a consequence of amp design than intended feature since it's different from model to model. One thing people do is to take advantage of this to set the master volume somewhere in the middle where it reaches a plateau and use a clean boost pedal to get more overdrive without getting louder. I do it on my JCM800.

In the end the volume curve doesn't have to be this aggressive for the intended emulation purpose. I hope this feature will be toned down in the next firmware update.

How do I officially make this suggestion?

RE: Spider IV Master Volume knob design problem
by AndyParedes on 2009-10-30 10:26:27

Hello,

Please submit your feature request at the following link:

Feature requests

http://line6.com/company/contact/productFeedback/?topic_id=3

Please let us know if you need further assistance, or close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.