These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound.
by Deneteus on 2009-11-04 02:07:11

My POD X3 Live was just sitting there after I got off work and it had been working for the past few days and all of a sudden there is nothing on the screen but a full black box.

Whats the deal with this?

I saw some threads about it but I would like to know what caused since there hasn't been any firmware updates applied to it recently.

I would send it in for repair but it was purchased from Musicians Friend online by a friend.

Whats the deal? Is it a bad firmware chip? A short?

Re: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound.
by silverhead on 2009-11-04 05:59:17

I believe some problems like this have been traced to apower supply failure. If you can, try another X3-compatible power supply.

It also wouldn't hurt to reflash memory in safe mode. Hold down right nav key while powering up the X3 and use Monkey to 'Flash Memory'. The reinstall firmware. I know you've got the latest but sometimes a reinstallation of the software fixes things.

by Deneteus on 2009-11-05 03:11:35

I am going to see if I can test it at Guitar Center as I don't know anybody else locally with an X3Live. I can't even get to the test mode. I know about that from back in the day with the crappy shielding issue and the firmware update.

This one came with the firmware already updated. It was working just fine.I was even able to calibrate the pedal with no issues.

Nobody from Line 6 has answered my question. I may have to pose the question to Youtube, Facebook or Twitter if they can't help.

by timowens on 2009-11-05 06:16:39

If you got it from Musicians Friend and the firmware was already updated, I would say chances are they sold you a returned unit. If this is the case you should consider returning it no matter what and either get a replacement or a refund.

by Deneteus on 2009-11-06 18:50:39

I tried another power supply and it didn't work. The issue still persists. I also cannot get into flash mode. Does this thing just need a new firmware chip?

I was in Windows 7 using Reaper to record like an hour before this happened.

I think they owe me gas money because if they look they will be able to see how many X3 Lives I have had due to issues with their hardware. I guess it doesn't pay to be an early adopter or a late adopter. Hell I even bought the Pocket Pod when it released.

Pic Related ;-)

by timowens on 2009-11-06 21:00:21

"Does this thing just need a new firmware chip?"

Nope, I think it has given up the ghost all together! It is nothing you did, time for a replacement or refund.

by Deneteus on 2009-11-06 21:13:02

Nobody has ever been told what specifically causes the issue? I actually live near a service center but I want more information. If this is a widespread issue there should be a recall.

A refund is not going to happen as this thing was purchased in July '09. Musician's Friend only accepts returns made within the first 45 days from shipment.

I am going to need some L6 involvement for this to happen.

RE: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound.
by ricksox on 2009-11-12 09:43:05

Hello,

It could be a failed component like an LCD screen. Have you at least tried reinstalling the flash memory on the POD to see if that fixes it?

If you have tried that to no avail then you should contact your local service center for repair. If the unit was purchased within the last year then it is covered under warranty but you'll need to get a copy of the receipt from your friend to provide to your service center.

You can locate a service center near you at http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/.

Has this answer been helpful?

Line6Miller

Re: RE: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound.
by Deneteus on 2009-11-12 09:54:00

I can't get anywhere to re-install the flash memory. (I think I mentioned that in the other post.)  It doesn't show up as a USB device either. Its just all black screen and orange light per the picture. Second power supply did not work either.

If it was just the screen wouldn't the rest of the board still work? I've built projects with LCDs so I know it shouldn't affect it IRL. Before all this happened I had run the diagnostic mode and everything passed so why would it stop working for no reason. Your techs should know more about this issue.

RE: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound.
by ricksox on 2009-11-13 08:28:33

Hello,

I'm not a repair tech so I can't comment as to why it would just stop working but it does sound like it needs to go in for repair.

You should contact a local service center near you to arrange a repair or you can call us directly if you'd like to arrange the repair with us at our facility.

http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/

(818)575-3600

Let me know if this helps. Thanks.

Line6Miller

by Deneteus on 2009-11-13 11:31:32

I got ya. I will let you know what I find out.

by kriii86 on 2010-01-14 17:26:35

Hi!

Did you find out something?

by Deneteus on 2010-01-14 18:12:47

I found out that if I send it to the repair shop down the road from my house that they will probably have it for 2 months and I'll have to pay to get it fixed. All because of a bug.

by kriii86 on 2010-01-14 19:30:38

Bug?

Re: RE: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound. - Now Fixed and Back from the Dead
by Deneteus on 2010-07-30 00:32:59

After about 9 months of having a broken POD X3 Live I finally took it apart and I found that my issue was being caused by a really bad hack job that someone implemented at Line 6 I would assume. There are even parts where traces were bypassed. As soon as I took the top off and finger nail cleaned up one of the areas that look suspicious it worked and showed up in Windows 7. I took Quality Assurance for Electronics in High School so I know what I am looking at.

Its the same copper paint that I mentioned was an issue when the X3 Live first came out. There is also some copper showing and what looks like a damaged trace. I'll post some better pics in the daytime.

The top right box shows a capacitor was added and some spots were hot glued and you can see the flecks of copper.

The bottom left box has a patched trace for sure.

I was able to flash the firmware to 2.0. I am going to recoat those traces with nail polish and put some sealer on the bottoms of the painted plastic as well. I can only imagine what I would have been charged to fix this out of warranty.

Updated: I looked some more and there is a piece of electrical tape hot glued above D40 and D43 and the tape was covered in the copper. There trace in the bottom left was scratched but its fixable.

Re: RE: POD X3 Live - Full Black LCD / no sound. - Now Fixed and Back from the Dead
by Tellurian7 on 2011-05-23 04:09:37

Hi,

I think my X3L have the same "bug". Did you get this "black screen" like me ?

My video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQXmE1QS0xc

(sorry for my bad english, i'm french)

by Agarirg on 2011-06-06 13:20:15

If you are unable to fix it and find absolutely no use for your Pod X3 Live, I would be happy to buy it from you for a reasonable amount through ebay?  My e-mail is kenjiagari@gmail.com

by vix01 on 2011-06-26 21:18:10

I you do the repair tha the above guy mentions and it still doesn´t works, you might have the sameprob as i do, and is easy to repair is a failure in the voltage regulators a tech geek did it for me and it cost me like 5 dolars and 1 hour of my time have technician to take a look at it you´ll save a lot of money and time

by silverhead on 2011-06-27 15:48:13

Deneteus wrote:

....I finally took it apart and I found that my issue was being caused by a really bad hack job that someone implemented at Line 6 I would assume.

Why on earth would you assume that? You took it apart - don't you think someone else might have?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.