These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Direct Monitoring Problem
by ironmike-911 on 2009-11-16 08:11:50

I am unable to enable "direct monitoring" in cubase. I have only acquired the PODFarm plugin recently so I didn't notice this before. This was happening under cubase 3 sx and now under 5. All steinberg has to say about it is the driver doesn't support it. This is highly frustrating! I have reinstalled all line6 software/drivers and the cubase 5 is a fresh install.

Any ideas?

RE: Direct Monitoring Problem
by ricksox on 2009-11-17 15:22:32

Hello,

That is correct. Using the POD Farm plug in will allow you to use the Line 6 ASIO driver but will not allow you to take advantage of Tone Direct Monitoring.

You can only use Tone Direct Monitoring when using POD Farm as a stand alone application.

Has this answer been helpful?

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Direct Monitoring Problem
by ironmike-911 on 2009-11-18 06:38:50

Thanks for the reply Miller.

Just double checking. Using Toneport ASIO in cubase there is no way to direct monitor the tone direct signal!? If so doesn't that defeat the purpose of the plugin? Or is the only way to setup a tone, have it record the clean signal and setup the same tone inside the plugin?

by ricksox on 2009-11-18 09:25:45

I think we may not be talking about the same thing. Tone Direct Monitoring is the way we process audio at near 0 latency at the driver level when using Gearbox or POD Farm as a stand alone application.

Now, do you just want to create an audio track in Cubase, launch the POD Farm plug in, record dry, but monitor a processed signal through the plug in?

Line6Miller

by ironmike-911 on 2009-11-18 11:19:54

Thanks again,

That's exactly it and where I'm at. I want to record the dry signal and monitor the the processed plugin signal. This I can do but with latency issues. I can get it down but nowhere near the standalone PODFarm latency and no song stays as 1 guitar for long! At this point we assume it's because it's passing through Cubase. Cubase however can "remove" itself from the monitored signal path by going direct to the device with a feature called "Direct Monitoring". This feature is greyed out for me in both sx3 and 5 and steinberg say it's a driver capability issue.

Is it possible for Cubases' "Direct Monitoring" feature to access the toneport "Tone Direct" signal via the plugin? If so why does the driver report to my cubase it's not "Direct Monitoring" capable? (greyed out) Or am I chasing dragons and the plugin is only the effects section of PODFarm?

Sorry for the mouthful! your helps appreciated.

by ricksox on 2009-11-19 09:02:37

Hello,

The driver that you are using in Cubase is the ASIO driver we develop and it does not utilize Tone Direct Monitoring. This is why you are experiencing significantly more latency then you would if you were using the POD Farm stand alone.

You can try to reduce latency in Cubase but oyu may not get it down to what you want. I've noted the high latency issues with our ASIO driver to our software guys here and there are plans to improve that although I do not have an ETA on when that will happen.

Has this cleared things up for you?

Line6Miller

by ironmike-911 on 2009-11-19 09:26:50

Thanks again Miller,

That's fine. It would be the "Holy Grail" of line6 to achieve this! Maybe some kind of ReWire approach to bring ToneDirect inside the DAW? Anyway doesn't sound easy! No need to reply.

by vries on 2009-11-20 06:30:36

try using asio4all, it will give you lower latency.

Rene

by LoonyBin-Fizzbin on 2009-11-20 07:09:32

I´m thinking, dont use the Plug-in to process when you are recording, record an unprocessed guitar signal then use the plug-in only when you have a track already layed in!

But to get the Track in cubase use the Stand-alone Pod Farm App & Monitor from your Line 6 Device! And not from Cubase!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.