These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Stompbox Modelers / ToneCore

Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by bogasnacks on 2009-11-17 20:29:24

Hi guys,

Just got my brand new VERBZILLA today and want to use the trails feature, but when I switch it on, there is noticable static/hum while the effect is OFF. I just want to know if this normal? I'm guessing with the trails feature enabled, the FET bypass is disabled?

My set up is:

Les Paul Standard w/ Burstbucker Pros

Boss TU-2

Ibanez TS9

VERBZILLA

into the front of:

JCM 800 2203

I tested it like this:

1) Effect is off, trails is OFF. some amp hum is audible from speaker

2) Effect is off, trails is turned ON, increased hum from speaker is audible

All pedals are powered by PEDAL POWER 2. Anyone else have this problem? Please note that I don't have an effects loop on my amp.

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Re: Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by bogasnacks on 2009-11-17 22:33:33

I think this user is having the same problem: http://line6.com/community/message/25556#25556

Cananyone confirm that this is normal behavior?

Re: Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by bogasnacks on 2009-11-18 12:10:07

Okay, I did some more research with my verbzilla and made the following observations. And before I start sounding like a big baby, I'd like to praise Line 6 for the reverb sounds in this pedal, they are top notch. Absolutley no complaints there. Now the bad stuff:

This pedal is really fussy with power sources/voltages. That is, the hissing is increased depending on where you are plugged into. Even with my pedal power 2, the hissing varied from power strip, outlet, etc. Sure, all pedals make some kind of noise when engaged (btw, the trails feature ON = pretty much the pedal engaged), but my boss tu-2 and tubescreamer (which are also not true-bypass) never change hum regardless of venue. I tour frequently so I need consistency. I realize this pedal is uber-digital, but I also feel like Line 6 maybe dropped the ball on shielding/voltage handling.

and that's not the only problem:

On some power sources, turning the trails feature ON gave me an unwanted boost of volume.

And to a smaller extent:

The pedal powers up engaged. Meaning when I turn on my pedalboard at a gig, the reverb is automatically on. This might not annoy hobbyists, but I can't be turning it off everytime when

I am on tour. Especially because none of my other pedals start up this way. Like the late Mitch Hedberg said, "I don't need another step between me, and toast." Line 6 should specify this in their FAQ or updated docs to help consumers.

Thank you for listening to my whining.

RE: Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-20 16:57:13

Hello,

it sounds like a couple things may be happening here:

1) be sure that all the pedals in your audio chain are powered by the same power strip, and change all your cabling. Try moving the pedals and power cables around to see if this changes your noise situation.

2) Check the following document for ore trouble shooting:

Troubleshooting Line 6 Modeling (four-button stomp) and Tonecore pedals

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4490

ToneCore Pedals FAQ

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4166

3) Try a different Verbzilla to see if the behavior can be duplicated.

Please let us know if you need further assistance, or close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

RE: Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-23 10:32:14

Hello,

It's been a couple of days since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you still have questions please feel free to open a new question with us and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

Re: RE: Increased Verbzilla noise with trails switch enabled?
by bogasnacks on 2009-11-23 16:38:25

I returned the pedal. Thank you Line 6 for the replies. For the record, I admit it was pure stupidity on my part for expecting trails mode to work in bypass. I suppose I could have looked into it more before purchasing. Pedals from other companies with the same feature also do not remain in bypass mode (behringer, digitech, and even the DL4). The problem was, I got more hissing with trails on, and sometimes a boost of volume. This varied from venue to venue. Also, I really cannot stand pedals that start up in 'engaged' mode.

by machinefish on 2010-09-15 20:31:53

Why do you guys want to close out the tickets all the time?

This same stuff is happening to me.

Great reverb sounds but dont touch then nobs at a gig man.

Real squirrely stuff.  Set it up at home and step off man.

by machinefish on 2010-09-15 20:33:11

three days and you close the thread?

Nothing has been resolved a year later.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.