These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: JM4 Looper

JM4 Looper snap crackle & pop
by ZUrlocker on 2009-11-19 21:15:12

I have a JM4 Looper pedal (firmware 2.09) and I seem to be experiencing an increasing amount of snap, crackle and pop during recording.  More specifically, it seems that the recording is fine, but when I go to save it to a WAV file, I get all kinds of pops.  At first it was just a few and I thought maybe it was the switch on my guitar or something.  But now I'm getting these pops every 5-10 seconds.  The recording is fairly simple; a built-in drum track with about 90 seconds of rhythm guitar.  Then I save it (as a Jam file) and attempt to record a solo on top of it.  Then I save that to a WAV file.

I have also tried just recording a solo straight on top of a built-in song -- no crackle in that case.

You can hear the samples here:

http://www.guitarvibe.com/2009/11/line-6-jm4-looper.html#mp3

This does not appear to be an issue from the guitar or cable as the pops are not present when I load the JAM file; only if I load the WAV file or copy the WAV file to my computer.  I have tried turning the JM4 off and on etc to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe there's a better way to do this that The JM4 is cool, but I'm getting frustrated with this.

Thanks

-Zack

ZUrlocker at hotmail dot com

www.guitarvibe.com

Re: JM4 Looper snap crackle & pop
by joegillespie on 2009-11-20 09:00:17

I would suggest that you try playing the WAV files on a different computer. Sometimes the audio chips on PCs aren't all that good. Also consider trying a different card reader.

Re: JM4 Looper snap crackle & pop
by ZUrlocker on 2009-11-20 09:13:37

Thanks for this input.  However, the crackles are in the file once it's been mixed down to a WAV file on the JM4.  Even listening to the WAV file on the JM4 demonstrates the problem.  Its not related to the PC or the card reader.

But to be on the safe side, I tried a different SD card, a different card reader, and a different PC --Same problem.  (Though I did wonder about the card reader and that's why I tried to narrow down the source of the problem.)

--Zack

RE: JM4 Looper snap crackle & pop
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-23 16:51:13

Hello,

Have you tried reloading the firmware on the JM4 to ensure there is not a software issue? see the following links for more info:

JM4 FAQ

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4763

JM4 2.09 Update Instructions

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1338

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

Re: RE: JM4 Looper snap crackle & pop
by ZUrlocker on 2009-11-23 19:02:04

Thanks for your response.  I'm away from my Looper for a few hours but will try later on.  That said I read the FAQ and I didn't see anything that caused me to believe I need to reinstall the firmware given that I'm running the latest version already.

Is there some reason you believe the firmware could have become corrupted and caused this problem? Has this happened to other customers? How exactly could firmware get corrupted anyways?

Otherwise it feels a bit like 'try reinstalling windows...'

Any light you can shed on this is appreciated.

Thanks for your help on this. And note that I'm just trying to understand why reinstalling might be useful.

Update:

Ok, it's later and I spent an hour downloading the fw.bin file, formatting an SD card, copying the fw.bin file to the card, reformatting the card, copying it to the right place, updating the firmware (even though it was already at the right version) and testing it out.  Same problem -- random pops and clicks about every 5-10 seconds.  So, no, re-installing the firmware did not solve the problem.

Is there something else I need to do in order to get support on this, like open a support ticket or something?  I would like to really recommend the JM4 Looper, but as it stands, recording with multiple tracks results in something that just isn't acceptable quality.

What's the best way to get this resolved?

--Zack

by AndyParedes on 2009-11-24 08:21:52

Reinstalling firmware can solve all sorts of strange issues that can happen due to power fluctuations, time, etc., as this is common for anything "electronic".

I have created a support ticket for you regarding this situation. A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

by ZUrlocker on 2009-11-30 20:33:46

Thanks.  I clicked on the link to view tickets and don't see anything.  The issue has not solved itself and as far as I can tell, no one from Line 6 has contacted me.  Does that mean someone is looking at it? Or do I need to do something else here.

At any rate, I am travelling for a couple of days this week and am away from my JM4.

--Zack

PS.  I don't know why this thread should be marked as "answered" since I still don't have any kind of resolution to the problem.

by ZUrlocker on 2009-12-08 20:55:27

Line6Andy,

I was traveling for 10 days around thanksgiving and never saw the emails about my support ticket(99854).  Now the support ticket is marked as closed since I did not respond.  How do I re-activate a support ticket to actually get this issue resolved?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

--Zack

by estephens on 2009-12-17 16:23:19

Wrote COI RMA 13088.

by ZUrlocker on 2010-01-18 22:23:04

Hey, just wanted to follow up.  I sent in my JM4 Looper just about a month ago (Dec 21) on an RMA and I haven't had any communications.  I was told this should take 7-10 days.  Even given the holidays, this seems like too long. 

Can you tell me how to determine if the unit has been fixed or not?  Do I need to file another support ticket?

Thanks

--Zack

by zartimus on 2010-08-18 20:58:09

I have this exact same issue.

-----------------------------

Update. backed up card, formatted the card, re-applied firmware, pops and crackles are gone again for now..

by teddym on 2010-08-19 23:21:35

Try to set the volume levels (song/drums, guitar, aux/mp3) to 75% before downmixing to a wave file. The crackle & pop noises could be caused by volume level overflow. Anyway, I suggest you do the mixdown in your PC using a DAW software.

by zartimus on 2010-11-02 08:01:33

Hey man, turning own to 75% on the three channels did it! Thanks! That should go in the FAQ!!

Awesome!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.