These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Re-open Firmware Corrupted on Variax500
by carlo_leone on 2009-11-21 12:06:38

Hi Line 6Miller!

I'm back. Sorry for the long absence but I'm in the middle and running late on a Christmas Album that has to be out at the end of this month and also, my internet line has been down (Thanks to a Thunderstorm) so I'm having a fight with Telkom to get it up and running again.

In desperation I am actually doing this from an Internet Cafe. My Internet should be up again in the next few days and then we can resume normal communication. PS. My problem is still alive and kicking!

This is the last communication I had from you before the interruption and I would appreciate it if we can pick up from here.

>Hello,

>Having a friend in Canada certainly does help as we have a distributor in Canada (actually in Montreal).

>Before we go any further let me just make sure I have everything covered here.

>Is this Variax under warranty? You said you've had it for only a few weeks correct?

>You've tried reinstalling the flash memory in the guitar to no avail as it will not connect to Monkey at >all through your POD correct?

>Have you tried interfacing the guitar with something other than the POD IE: a Variax Workbench >Interface?

>Please let me know and then we can move forward with trying to get you the part you need.

>Line6Miller

My Answer:

Yes, the Variax is still under warranty as I only had it for a few weeks before it packed up.

Yes, I have tried reinstalling the flash memory in the guitar to no avail as it will not connect to Monkey at all through my POD and also freezes the POD when connecting to it via the rj45 connector.

No, I have not tried interfacing the guitar with another interface besides the POD as I don’t have accesss to any other interface but I successfully connected via the POD using another 500 and 600.

PS. Is it not possible to get the parts to me via Marshall Music/Active Music Distribution in Johannesburg, South Africa. I was given the impression that they are the Line6 distributers in South Africa?

Thanks for the support so far. It has been great and re-assuring

Regards, Carlo

Re: Re-open Firmware Corrupted on Variax500
by carlo_leone on 2009-11-24 00:03:26

Hi,

Can Line6 please respond. My Internet is still down but I've discovered an Internet Cafe around the corner so there won't be a breakdpwn in communication again in future.

Thanx, Carlo

RE: Re-open Firmware Corrupted on Variax500
by ricksox on 2009-11-24 10:34:41

Hello,

Let me follow up and verify if that is indeed our distributor in South Africa. Thanks.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Re-open Firmware Corrupted on Variax500
by carlo_leone on 2009-11-24 12:01:34

Thanx!

by ricksox on 2009-11-25 15:09:07

Hello,

OK, so they are indeed an official distributor for us. Now we just need to see how to get those parts to them. I'll follow up when I know. I'm out of the office until Monday on holiday so I'll let you know as soon as I get back.

Thanks for being patient with me on this.

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-11-26 03:09:33

Hi,

That's Good news! A big thanx from me too.

Ps.

So much for the 'lack of support'  stories about Lin6. So far all I can say is: YOU'VE BEEN GREAT, JUST GREAT!!!!

Regards, Carlo

by ricksox on 2009-12-03 08:40:09

Hello,

I'm working with our UK team to see if there is a way we can get you out a replacement board. I'm just waiting to hear back from them. Honestly, I'm not sure if we have any 500 boards left as the parts for that guitar are scarce but let's see what they say. In the meantime, have you tried tracing the problem on a component level? Checking all cold solder joints, ribbon cables, and header connections?

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-03 11:16:21

Hi,

Yep did all that. Really went through the board with a fine toothcomb and by that I mean actually examining the board under a microscope but could find nothing as far as that is concerned.

Hoping to hear from you soon bearing good news.

Regards, Carlo

by ricksox on 2009-12-04 08:11:46

Hello,

I got your case over to our UK team and one of our reps there mentioned that he reached out to you directly. Have you gotten his email? He mentioned he suggested some additional things for you to check.

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-05 11:30:44

Hi,

Yes I received an email from Simon today (sent yesterday 4 December). I sent a response but he will be out of office until 10 Dec so it will be a week before I will get a fresh response from him.

Regards, Carlo

by ricksox on 2009-12-07 10:11:17

Hello,

I apologize for this. Simon, has some pretty good knowledge about the nature of Variax so it will be worth it to wait for his reply. If I hear from him sooner I'll ask him to get back to you. Thanks for your patience.

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-11 00:40:01

Hi,

Just an update to keep in touch. No word as yet from Simon.

Have a great weekend

Regards, Carlo

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-11 12:31:39

Hi Line6,

Heard from Simon and he has orderd the part. Wil keep posted.

Thanx so far.

Regards, Carlo

by ricksox on 2009-12-14 09:29:27

OK Thanks. Please keep us posted.

Line6Miller

by ricksox on 2009-12-22 10:05:07

Hello,

Any progress with your situation?

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-22 12:26:23

Hi There!

Yes, just had an e-mail from Simon a few hours ago informing me that my replacement board will be shipped within the next couple of days!

Kind Regards

Carlo

by ricksox on 2009-12-22 16:28:27

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

Line6Miller

by ricksox on 2009-12-31 08:49:28

Any news on your parts?

Line6Miller

by carlo_leone on 2009-12-31 22:52:08

Hi,

Yep, got an email from Simon that the replacement board had been shipped and and will be in S.A. shortly! Will keep you posted as soon it arrives.

A happy and prosperous new year to you and yourloved ones!

Carlo

by carlo_leone on 2010-01-24 09:42:46

Hi,

Just an update. The shipment was expected on the 22Jan2010 but has not arrived yet. ill keep you posted.

Kind regards.

Carlo

by carlo_leone on 2010-02-16 01:08:18

Hi Line6,

Finally received my board, installed it, updated and reflashed it and I am happy to report everything is working 100%. This didn't happen without one final heart stopping moment. After updating the board and receiving the message 'Update successful', all of a sudden Line6 Monkey didn't see my Variax anymore. My heart froze but after switching off and rebooting everything (It seemed to take forever) my baby was alive and kicking and everything was fine!!

Ric, It was a long haul that ended well and I thank you for all your assistance!

Kind regards

Carlo

PS. I posted a query on a 'Code 3' error on a PODXTLive but received no response so far. Could I trouble you to please check it out for me?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.