These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Setting up Cubase and Studio GX
by schlagi on 2009-11-25 04:57:36

Hello everybody

I'm new to line6 products and I needed a simple tool to help me recording my guitar so I purchased the GX device.

(Before I used to record with my vox tonelab se which i plugged into my maudio card. And I never had any problems. Though it was very bulky. )

Everything works well when using the standalone pod farm.

However when I try to record in cubase with clean output of my GX I suffer latency from about 29ms.

I also tried several asio drivers in cubase. Asio 4 all, and the Asio GX driver.

Moreover I played around with buffer size to reduce latency but nothing seems to work. It even causes clicking.

And finally of course I did all firmware updates for usb and the GX device.

My question is how do I set up  cubase and GX correctly just to record the clean output without latency and clicking problems.

(Considering that TONE DIRECT MONITORING, as always stated in product descriptions, should help me not even having to think about latency)

System specs:

windows xp

1gb ram

3,5 GHZ cpu

(cpu usage of 10% when cubase is in use)

Huge THX for all hints advance!!

RE: Setting up Cubase and Studio GX
by ricksox on 2009-11-25 14:08:35

Hello,

The only time Tone Direct Monitoring comes into play is if you are using POD Farm in stand alone mode. If you want to use the driver then you'll be using our ASIO driver which is different.

I hate to say it but our ASIO driver does suffer from some higher then normal latency. We're planning on improving them but for now that's how they work.

What you might want to do is launch POD Farm as a stand alone and route processed 1/2 into one track in Cubase and route dry 3/4 into another MUTED track in Cubase. Once oyu have the take you want, you can go into Cubase and just delete the processed track, keep the dry one, and then apply the POD Farm plug into that and tweak to your liking.

Does that help?

Line6Miller

Re: RE: Setting up Cubase and Studio GX
by schlagi on 2009-11-25 15:31:40

Thank you for your reply...

Considering the Tone Direct Monitoring feature.. I have to state that this was NOT clear to me before purchasing the device. I also think that this is not really stated clearly in the product description.

Well I think that I purchased the wrong product.

Your advice as well is not quite what I need... as I'd like to record with guitar rig.

Is there another line6 product that could serve my needs? It's just about a simple small plug and play device with low latency...

Re: RE: Setting up Cubase and Studio GX
by kmichel on 2010-02-24 14:16:44

****I hate to say it but our ASIO driver does suffer from some higher then normal latency. We're planning on improving them but for now that's how they work.****

I think that is a shameful admission.  Not only is this not mentioned in any of your literature you go out of your way to sell this product as having low latency which I would suggest is deceitful.  How on earth are we as customers supposed to find these things out before we waste our hard earned money on a sub-standard product such as this?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.