These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by LiekMudkipz on 2009-11-29 02:17:49

So, it started by running stomp boxes in front of my POD, using the 'Tube Preamp' model and a speaker cab to direct record them, now I've started experimenting running different guitar amp preamps into it... am I gonna kill my poor Pocket POD? Mostly, lack of an Ampeg VH-140C/Crate GX-130 model made me buy a little GX to use instead.

By the way, what are the specifications on the Pocket POD regarding it's signal level handling?

Re: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by Rowbi on 2009-11-29 02:28:38

well the instrument input wants to see instrument level input, so a preamp would usually output line level, and may clip the input.  the ppod outputs are line level as it's a preamp itself.

it wont kill it, it just may not sound great while you're experimenting.

just to clarify, you obviously can't connect any power amp outputs to the pPOD, like a speaker out.  you probably know this but some people get confused between preamps and power amps.

by LiekMudkipz on 2009-11-29 02:36:41

It seems to be working without any clipping, I've only notched the signal down a little (about -2db), and that was because I'm boosting some parts a bit with an eq pedal. Sounds like Suffocation or early Cannibal Corpse.

Mostly, I'm interested in an actual spec, how hot of signal can I run into it before it clips.

RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by Line6Hugo on 2009-12-02 17:45:24

Well, as Rowbi said, the inputs are expecting an instrument level signal input, which is about -10 db. The Pocket POD's inputs were never tested to see at which signal level input it begins to clip. So, anything higher than that could potentially clip the input.

Re: RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by LiekMudkipz on 2009-12-03 00:34:53

Alright, that answers my question, or at least tells me 'test it yourself if it's such a big deal'. xD

Looks like I have my Ampeg VH-140 model, at least until you guys add some more models of classic solid state amps.

Next version of the POD should have an Ampeg VH-140(or related), a Randall Warhead(or related) a Marshall 8080 and a Peavey Bandit(80s version, or related), just so us transistor fanboys can get our favourite amp models.

RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by AndyParedes on 2009-12-03 13:59:05

Please submit your feature request at the following link:

Feature requests

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

by LiekMudkipz on 2009-12-04 00:46:54

Alright, so for now my ears can give me a decent idea of how much signal is too much, and until it becomes a pressing enough concern, I don't think I'm gonna bother actually testing. Thanks everyone.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.