These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by LiekMudkipz on 2009-11-29 02:17:49

So, it started by running stomp boxes in front of my POD, using the 'Tube Preamp' model and a speaker cab to direct record them, now I've started experimenting running different guitar amp preamps into it... am I gonna kill my poor Pocket POD? Mostly, lack of an Ampeg VH-140C/Crate GX-130 model made me buy a little GX to use instead.

By the way, what are the specifications on the Pocket POD regarding it's signal level handling?

Re: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by Rowbi on 2009-11-29 02:28:38

well the instrument input wants to see instrument level input, so a preamp would usually output line level, and may clip the input.  the ppod outputs are line level as it's a preamp itself.

it wont kill it, it just may not sound great while you're experimenting.

just to clarify, you obviously can't connect any power amp outputs to the pPOD, like a speaker out.  you probably know this but some people get confused between preamps and power amps.

Cheers

Rowbi

by LiekMudkipz on 2009-11-29 02:36:41

It seems to be working without any clipping, I've only notched the signal down a little (about -2db), and that was because I'm boosting some parts a bit with an eq pedal. Sounds like Suffocation or early Cannibal Corpse.

Mostly, I'm interested in an actual spec, how hot of signal can I run into it before it clips.

RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by Line6Hugo on 2009-12-02 17:45:24

Well, as Rowbi said, the inputs are expecting an instrument level signal input, which is about -10 db. The Pocket POD's inputs were never tested to see at which signal level input it begins to clip. So, anything higher than that could potentially clip the input.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by LiekMudkipz on 2009-12-03 00:34:53

Alright, that answers my question, or at least tells me 'test it yourself if it's such a big deal'. xD

Looks like I have my Ampeg VH-140 model, at least until you guys add some more models of classic solid state amps.

Next version of the POD should have an Ampeg VH-140(or related), a Randall Warhead(or related) a Marshall 8080 and a Peavey Bandit(80s version, or related), just so us transistor fanboys can get our favourite amp models.

RE: Guitar Amp Preamp + Pocket POD = ?
by AndyParedes on 2009-12-03 13:59:05

Please submit your feature request at the following link:

Feature requests

http://line6.com/company/contact/productFeedback/?topic_id=3

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

by LiekMudkipz on 2009-12-04 00:46:54

Alright, so for now my ears can give me a decent idea of how much signal is too much, and until it becomes a pressing enough concern, I don't think I'm gonna bother actually testing. Thanks everyone.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.