These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

Splider Jam Unusable: Terrible Static and Pop
by tnorris56 on 2009-12-26 19:01:10

I purchased a Line 6 Spider Jam over a year ago and have nothing but problems with it.  Once the unit is turned on a static noise starts and grows louder and louder until a loud pop occurs. It will go away and re-occur constantly to the point you just want the shut it down and trash it. It is a real shame, because I purchased the unit for my nephews to play and jam with when they come down to visit and was looking at other high-end Line 6 equipment for myself.

Any one have any ideas what is causing this? The problem is definitely in the amp. The problem occurs without a guitar active.

Thanks.

Re: Splider Jam Unusable: Terrible Static and Pop
by Line6Hugo on 2009-12-30 16:06:43

I would recommend that you re-install the flash memory on the Spider Jam to see if that will fix the issue.

If the problem persists, you will need to take it to an authorized service center for repair.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by sandip666 on 2010-04-05 21:37:44

I have the exact same problem. Not sure what re-installing the flash memory means. My spider jam is about 2 years old, but it has never really been used.

Do you have a real solution to this problem? I paid so much for this thing.

I know the solution to any problem is to take it to the authorized service center, but that also means that I have to pay a lot of $$ to get it fixed, which I am not too excited about.

by sandip666 on 2010-04-05 21:41:15

tnorris56,

did you find a fix. I have the exact same problem, can really need your help. Thanks.

by joegillespie on 2010-04-06 00:32:10

The noise and pop at switch-on are perfectly normal. It is the just DSP booting up. The memory is in a random state at switch on and until it is initialised, you just get 'white noise'. This should only last for a second or so. If you get these sounds at other times, there is a hardware problem.

by Buy-a-Fender on 2010-04-06 05:42:26

Have you tried a factory reset? if not give that a go

here is what the users manual says:

If you’d like to reset your Spider Jam to its factory-fresh state, discarding all your own adjustments to the User

presets and restoring the factory-standard settings, do the following:

Power up while holding the Tone / Settings

button.

Warning: a Factory Reset will replace all your customized User presets with the factory-standard settings.

Flashing the firmware simply means you are reinstalling the embedded software that controls the amps functions.

You can find the instructions and download link for this on the first page of this forum - look at the top of the page  for "Spider Jam 2.09 Update Instructions"

If the amp is no longer under warranty I would open the amp up and check and tighten the ribbon connectors.

If the amp is unusable - what have you got to lose?

Joe Gillespie has a walk through on how to do this on his web site

http://www.joesjamblog.com/fixes.html

align="left">

by sandip666 on 2010-04-10 22:23:29

Thanks Stevemason,

I was skeptical at first, but I went through Joe Gillespie's process of opening the Spider Jam up and cleaning/tightening. Took me about 5 minutes...very easy. I did not find anything loose or anything that looked amiss. Nevertheless, I just blew the dust away and straightened up a couple of ribbon connectors away from capacitors (the cylindrical things) that it looked like they were touching. Whatever happened there, along with some prayers, did work. Once put back, the thing doesn't make any of the undesirable noise. Clear clean sound like it's supposed to make. I used it for about 2 hours and it was fine.

Thank you.

by Buy-a-Fender on 2010-04-11 09:22:10

that is awesome!!! good job!

and thanks to Joe for his tremendous work on that web site!

Jam on!

by lfigura on 2010-10-26 20:47:31

I am having the exact same problem.  I am so frustrated.  I will try the remedy above and cross fingers.

by TimTheGrim on 2010-11-12 13:16:44

I too have this problem. It started about 3 weeks ago and has been getting worse each time I use the amp.

It has a 60 cycle hum like a bad ground and then as the volume of the hum increases and amp output volume goes down

a crackle will start and then after about 20 seconds a loud pop will sound and then it's good for a few minutes and starts again.

My amp has never even left the corner of my bedroom much less been gigged so I hope the fixes described above will help.

How great is it to come to this forum and find this topic right near the top !!

Thanks for all who shared.

Tim

by TimTheGrim on 2010-11-13 19:20:38

I took apart the amp following the instructions on Joe's Jam blog and found a loose ribbon connector almost immediately.

I tightened it up and checked all the others as well.

After reassembling the amp it is perfect once again.

This took all of 25 minutes and was worth every second. Thanks again for this post and solution.

Tim

by teki on 2011-07-02 01:45:25

Does anyone know where Joe's Jam Blog went?  I have the same problem, but it seems that joesjamblog.com is no longer there?

It is driving me crazy and I don't want to have to take it into a distributer.

Thanks for any help in advance!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.