These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: BackTrack / MIDI Mobilizer

BackTrack configuration tool on Linux
by omriran on 2009-12-28 15:44:37

I'd like to know if there is any way of configuring the Backtrack+Mic with Linux..

It's my main OS, and I do not have any Windows or Mac computers anymore.

So, is there a way to configure the Line6 BackTrack with linux?

RE: BackTrack configuration tool on Linux
by ricksox on 2009-12-30 17:23:33

Hello,

There is no way to configure this utility to work on Linux. we do not support any of our software on the Linux platform.

Line6Miller

Re: RE: BackTrack configuration tool on Linux
by omriran on 2010-01-07 08:31:26

I happen to be a programmer with some free time.

If Line6 would share the source code for the BackTrack configuration tool, I will make a Linux version.

I see the configurations are binary files, unreadably for humans, so I need the source code to make a Linux version of the configuration tool..

Re: RE: BackTrack configuration tool on Linux
by captainbob on 2010-01-22 14:31:48

Nice offer, I support you with your Linux efforts, unfortunately I cannot help you either.  Companies don't like giving out source code.

Stick with Linux, its superior, don't cave in...

if it doesn't work with Linux...you don't need it.

Question for Line 6
by captainbob on 2010-01-22 14:42:13

I have a question for Line 6.

I understand to some extent the legal problems associated with adapting your software to run on the Linux platform.  To that I am sympathetic.  I understand too Linux is a tiny marketshare.

My question is, is there anything Line 6 can make available to run on Linux?   Linux as an audio recording platform is starting to come of age.  I have ordered a Pod XT Pro from eBay to use with my Linux system, so us linux users are forging ahead with what tools we can use.  It would just be nice if there was software available too.  Again, I understand the legal issues somewhat.

Is there anything that can be made available?

And are there any plans to make software available that runs on Windows 7?   Or are we all expected to use XP till the end of time?

Thank you

Re: Question for Line 6
by captainbob on 2010-01-22 14:51:37

I almost forgot to mention...

before I ordered the Pod XT Pro, I was seriously considering the Behringer V-Amp.  I know Pros who use this device and they love it.  I have heard it, and its very good.

Behringer makes available, a free download of Linux software that allows Linux users to control this device from their pc.

Behringer sees fit to do this....why not line 6?

I did not buy the Pod new, specifically because of lack of support by Line 6.  Next time I am in the market for an amp modeler, if Line 6 isn't friendly to what platform I am running, I will more than likely go with other options.

I am saying...Line 6 lost a sale this time, specifically because of their failure to support Linux.

I am sure Line 6 can become more Linux friendly without compromising protected source code.

Is that not fair?

Captain Bob

Re: Question for Line 6
by captainbob on 2010-01-22 14:54:52

Stick with making your money off hardware.

Make the controling software Open Source.

Re: BackTrack configuration tool on Linux
by omriran on 2010-01-23 05:37:11

Glad I'm not alone here.

I could make the BackTrack+Mic configuration tool for Linux by saving all the seperate binary files it creates. It's not a nice way of getting it done, but it's effective.

Maybe we can show Line6 that it's really no threat to make the software opensource. Just the part of the configuration files has to be opensource. Not even the entire app in this case.

by jmss on 2010-04-07 13:07:28

I'm too a Linux and Line 6 user, and I'm frustrated with the lack of support of Line 6 for Linux users. I like Line 6 users, but it's a nightmare to work with it in Linux, my only working platform. I prefer to buy another hardware before to get stiked by Microsoft.

by captainbob on 2010-04-07 13:57:37

Hi, I hear you..I know what you are saying.

I am running a version of Windows Seven, but I am not using it for audio recording, and I am not exactly stuck with it, as it cost me nothing.

I do prefer to use Linux myself.

Heres my setup:

Ubuntu Studio version 9.04.....9.04 works great with no bugs, I tried 9.10 and 8.04 and both were buggy.  Forget 9.10, Jack has a bug and it makes the whole system useless, stick with 9.04 if you don't have a version working yet.

Jack

Ardour

Jamin

Line Six Pod XT Pro...eBay...$300.00

And I use an M-Audio Delta-44 sound card.

Les Paul

Several Strats

This set up works very well.  The sound quality is better than what I used to have using Windows XP with a Sound Blaster card.  I don't imagine Linux contributes to the sound quality, but I believe thats a result of better hardware. Ardour sometimes stops working with Jack and you have to SAVE, close, and reopen, but never a crash.  And certainly NEVER a system wide crash like with Windows.  Never lost any data...

2 drawbacks...

1.  When Jack is running, the whole pc slows down, as Jack is a huge resource hog.  Admitedly, my pc hardware is 2002 era, so its old.  I built this pc out of junk parts, many from the dupmster.  Newer hardware with 4 gigs of memory instead of the 2  I have might help things a bit, and a more powerful processor.

2.  The sound coming out of the Pod's analog outputs is no where near as good as it sounds when I plug the head phones into the Pod itself and listen.  Still, the recorded sound its very good, but not what I was hoping for.

For what its worth, Line Six didn't even work with Windows Seven last time I checked.  They totally dropped the ball.

But all in all, I am sticking with my Linux set up, and have no plans to change anything unless I can add some improvements.

So hold your ground, Linux WILL work with a Line Six hardware device, no software needed.  It will work with a V-Amp too.

If that doesn't work for you, you could always get a "Used" copy of XP and run it on some old junk computer just for recording.  Windows doesn't deserve any better than that anyway...

What blew it for me with Windows....was after paying all that money for XP, I still had the system taken down by viruses a couple times, and I also had a couple systematic crashes.   UNACCEPTABLE.  Never had a system wide crash using Linux...EVER!

Windows, even Seven, is just a substandard system with lots of eyecandy and compatibility....thats all it is.   Its junk.  Total crap.

True, my Dell with XP never crashed.  The Dell came with Dell's own version of XP.  Why???  All pc hardware for home use outside of Mac is designed to run Windows, why does Windows need to be tweaked just right to run on a Dell, or an HP?  The pc manufacturers do use proven  "Proven" combinations of hardware to make their systems running Windows stable.  What a bunch of crap.  I built a pc using an Intell board and processor with Corsair memory.  It crashed once a year. Not a "Proven" tested combination of parts.

But no matter what I run Linux on, it runs great, never crashes.  It runs great on hardware designed for Windows, not having the problems Windows has trying to run on hardware thats specifically designed for Windows.

Runs great on the Dell, the HP, and all the PCs I built using strange combinations of parts from my parts box, or what I could find in the trash or Good Will. Linux doesn't care.  It simply doesn't have the finacky stabilization problems Windows has.

I have to laugh, some jokers sometimes tell me their Windows system never crashes.  Right, they are running a factory set up, and engineering did all the hair pulling, so the customer didn't have to.   It should run fine on any hardware combo designed for Windows....but it doesn't.   LInux does.

I am sticking with Linux.  Windows is crap.

by sumdumguy on 2012-01-05 19:14:28

Bumping an old post here ...

Try Mint 12 and add ubuntustudio. Use the xfce desktop and have at it.

Jack will configure itself through qjactrl and the whole thing uses very little system resources compared to Windows.

It works great and has most anything you might need.

Add the latest Wine to the mix.

Quite a feast.

SumDumGuy

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.