These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

How to use Spider75 iv as power amp only ?
by tunedbygoody on 2010-01-14 12:04:56

When I gig on big stage I send output from my POD X3 live to the Return on Marshall head.

But now the club that I just start to play there has spider iv 75w. I don't want to use pre on spider just wanna use it as power only becuase my X3 live pretty much set.

Thanks

Re: How to use Spider75 iv as power amp only ?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-01-15 05:27:32

Hi

You can't do what you want to do with the Spider IV as it has no FX loop or Power Amp input.  The best you are going to be able to do is to set the Spider up as clean as you can with low gain settings and with the EQ balanced out to be as flat as possible.  Then you *may* get away with being able to send the signal out from one of the quarter inch jacks on your X3 Live into the front input of the Spider IV to use as your on stage monitor whilst sending your FOH signal to the PA desk by the XLR output.  I have never been happy using my X3 Live with a standard guitar amp as it's always been difficult getting the EQ right - and I've tried with a number of different amps that I own.

If they have a Spider IV, you actually have all you need in the amp already, but you obviously won't have your own sounds pre-programmed .  Shortly with the new Line 6 editing software that was announced yesterday, you will be able to store all your favourite Spider IV presets on a computer - i.e. a laptop and provided the Spider is also linked to an FBV MkII pedal board you will be able to download your own presets to it or any other Spder IV for that matter.  I believe the release date is 26 Jan.  If you are going to be playing this particular venue a lot, and if it's local it might be worth seeing if you can have access to the amp to set up a few tones that you'd use and storing them for future use on a laptop maybe, or if you know someone who also has a Spider IV they might allow you to customise some of your own tones to take with you to gigs on a laptop.

It may just be easier to take along your own gear and be done with it.  I don't know about you, but I rarely like using someone else's amp without at least spending an hour or so with it beforehand

Regards

Nick

by maow001 on 2011-10-02 20:20:35

what abOUt If I Use My aMP In test MODE ? IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH THIS FEATURE ?  is there any risk if i use this feature for a long time on a stage ?

by fflbrgst on 2011-10-03 04:59:38

You can run the X3 ouput into the CD/MP3 input jack (back panel) of the Spider IV.  The only front panel control that will then affect the signal is the master volume.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.