These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

X3 Live Pre or Post Amp Modeling
by tonebuff on 2010-01-21 03:51:57

I run my X3 live direct to FOH - 1 XLR (left) straight to board.  I've been experimenting with the signal chain and want to know what the difference is with putting effects before or after the amp modeling on the x3L?

- I know this is more of a "virtual world" as opposed to having an amp and pedalboard, but trying to understand the process of this signal chain to get the best sound in a live environment.

- I don't run any stereo effects, but use alot of delay, some mods, and reverb - I do use the dual tones at times.

- I have experimented putting everything "pre" amp modeling because of running 1 XLR to FOH and usually keep my tones center panned.

I use alot of volume swells, so I want to make sure I'm getting those "trails" of deal and reverb

I have tried "left panning" my tones since I'm using the 1 XLR to the board but have not really heard a difference, but as I understand it, if I use a "stereo" effect and run it "pre" then I will get the full sound of that effect in the "house" mix if I center pan or left pan?

Can someone explain the "real world" application of the pre/post amp modeling/virtual speaker mic emulation and how that relates to using the X3Live?

thanks

Re: X3 Live Pre or Post Amp Modeling
by mimungr on 2010-01-21 05:17:13
I have tried "left panning" my tones since I'm using the 1 XLR to the board but have not really heard a difference, but as I understand it, if I use a "stereo" effect and run it "pre" then I will get the full sound of that effect in the "house" mix if I center pan or left pan?

If you only connect one XLR, the X3 automatically sums the output to mono, so panning has no effect.

If you search both on this forum and on the Internet in general, you will find lots of info about the ordering of effects, but in the end it's highly subjective. You need to experiment and see what sounds best to you. Luckily, the X3 makes experimentation much easier than with a "real" rig .

FWIW, most people run delays, mods, and 'verbs after the amp (i.e., Post).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.