These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

USB - petition, Sign Here:-
by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 04:10:43

Please sign here if you are experiencing non-user faults with your Line 6 X3 live (Please leave all other comments to the other threads).

Especially,

If you are suffering from the USB audio drop out fault and you purchased the item because it states that it is an Audio interface and is suitable for recording via USB,

You feel you have been unfairly treated by Line 6 support,

You have had no support from Line 6 at all,

You purchased the product in the United Kingdom or EU (U.S. welcome).

Please sign once and once only, stating in which country you purchased the Line 6 X3 live and date of purchase and that you agree to these details being submitted to the Government Trading Standard Institute United Kingdom.

I thank you all for your support.

Re: USB - petition, Sign Here:-
by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 07:42:45

Hi

What exactly are you petitioning?

A petition in general is to ask someone in power to help in a situation that reqiures their attention...

What do you want?

Be clear..and consise so everyone can understand that you are asking for something....or  are you just pointing out a problem and educating us?

A petition should have an end goal.....what is yours? What will be the result of x-amount of signers to the petition?

What do you hope to accomplish?  I have a feeling that L6 knows about the USB problem...and far from "hiding their heads in the sand".....are trying to come up with solutions.....

Thanks for making the meaning of your petition clear...

OM

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 07:52:12

Hi,

As you know i have been in contact with Trading standards and they have agreed that there is a problem here and have asked if i could gather evidence in form of a petition of numbers so that they can assess that this is not just an isolated fault (i.e. me just moaning lol!).

I would appreciate your support on this matter if possible.

Many thanks,

Please see follwing link for your rights: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoods.cfm

by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 07:54:51

What do you propose as an end result?

OM

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 08:03:55

Trading Standards will decide whether or not the product is being sold is unfit for purpose and should be withdrawn from market and refunds/compensation awarded.

Please could you keep your questions for another thread or PM me.

Many thanks,

by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 08:18:24

Well....your petition is open....and not a private matter...so in light of understanding..I think it's only fair to have the facts out front for all to read..so questions like mine are in keeping with what you intend....that shouldn't be a problem for you to keep the facts clear and concise,

So if I hear you correctly....your end result is to sue Line 6 for false advertising?

What's the point in keeping it private...if your intent is to publicly sue Line 6?

I find it fasinating...and I'm sure others do to....

OM

by Js1200-Gaz on 2009-03-28 08:53:39

Count me in I understand the power of Trading Standards and what it means to those of us who are experiencing the USB Audio Drop Out and fear LIne 6 may pull a Vetta on us and decide it's not worth the hassle to fix.

x my mark for those who wondered..

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 09:02:36

I'm not trying to keep it private, i'm just trying to keep comments out of this thread so it's easier to see how many people are having problems and would like something done about it. I'm quite happy to discuss this in public, just in another thread, it's pretty simple.

I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone or sabotage anything or put Line 6 out of business. I love 80% of my X3 live but i just want it to work properly and fit for the purpose in which i bought it so as not to lose/spend any more of my time and hard earned money.

People on here may think i'm just a sad trouble maker, i personally don't think so. I'm just sick of working hard to pay for something that is advertised as a solution only to find out that it's not. I have never mentioned anything about sueing anyone, I just think a product should do what we have been told it does or it should not be on sale or advertised as such. I fail to understand why people on here are so uptight about it, are asking for answers but are not willing to do anything about it? If your happy with a product that doesn't work completley, then fine, that's up to you. If not, do something about it.

If no one signs this thread then it just shows that people don't want anything done about it and that is there right and i understand, but why keep crying for help when your not willing to accept it?

Anyway, the bottom line is, if your quite happy to take the risk on a Line 6 product that may or may not work 'X' amount of months down the line then fine, I personally can't afford to and will not be purchasing another Line 6 product until they at least apologise and reassure people that it will not happen again in future.

This thread/petition will show the state of play on this subject and if people do want my help then I'll give it, if not then fair enough, I'm out of here!

All the best and good luck,

(I'm a nice guy really, honest, ask my wife, may be not, ask my mum!)

by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 09:05:54

OK

Then I am to assume that your end goal is to use whatever means you have to sue Line 6 for false advertising...

My response is....no...I cannot sign such a petition.....for many reasons..but mainly because it is my understanding, although limited, and I have asked you to fully educate me on the matter..which you now egnore.....that Line 6 is indeed aware of your problem...and for all intent and purposes is working on getting it resolved....

With my own personal experience with Line 6 regarding product mal-functions...they(Line 6) have not failed to be honest, helpful and fully supportive of getting my problem fixed....I have yet to find a better team of tech support in any area of business...

Again, I assume, but some problems are much less complicated then others and reqiure far less research and work to apply proper fixing....

The problem you discribe is clearly one that is complicated...and a fix is difficult and time consumming...but that doesn't mean that Line 6 is not working on it....they have stated otherwise....they are aware of it...and are working on a good solid fix...some things can't happen overnight.

I trust them....so no....I can't support your petition as you state it.....sorry....

Have you consisdered returning the product?

OM

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 09:11:12

Nobody is sueing anybody!?! Overnight? Over a year more like!!!

by ClassicalDad on 2009-03-28 09:11:20

My beef with Line6 has always been related to communication. They don't acknowledge requests to their feedback page, and then when a firmware update comes out they don't list all the changes. I don't know what it was like before the outrage around the delays of the X3 version of GearBox (many missed release dates over 6 months) but they've been pretty tight-lipped since then. They never answer questions about "Why...". Why did they remove the edit screen dots from the X3 when they were so popular on the XT? Why do they refuse to put them back on the X3? At least they stated that they "probably won't" bring back the dots, but that doesn't let me sleep any better at night. Why won't they put them back?

Why have they not said anything about the USB fix other than "we're working on it" and "we're getting close" over the last 6 months when a few people have had hardware fixes successfully performed? I just can't believe there isn't some way to cleverly word some encouraging announcements that will calm the waters.  Like, "yes we've been trying to find a software fix for the last year and we hope you can understand our preference for a software fix over a hardware fix but at some point we will have to abandon the software fix and pay for a hardware fix". And "We tested a hardware fix on a few units 6 months ago to make sure we had a hardware fix option should a software fix prove impossible, but we continued the software attempts because we haven't exhausted all possibilities". Or, "We tried and tried but had to give up on a software fix and are working on getting the hardware fix rolled out and it's not a simple matter".  Or, "we tried for a software fix for a year but there isn't one. We tested a hardware fix that worked but the repair cost would be much more than our profit margins, so guess what...".

I just want to know. Reading between the lines of their one-liners over the last year, and with the help of the POD X3 Optimism Model Pack I've been beta testing for a couple of months now, I still believe a fix is coming. I must admit though that hearing about the Vetta not getting fixed after two years of promises had me worried, but there is no denying that the USB fix renders some crucial features unusable out of the box, not to mention Guitar Port Online (tracks and lessons). I just can't believe they can _not_ fix the problem unless maybe they fold the company.

by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 09:21:06

http://TradingStandards will decide whether or not the product is being sold is unfit for purpose and should be withdrawn from market and refunds/compensation awarded.

This is what you posted.....

So explain how this is not going after Line 6 to compensate for mis-represented goods/products.......

To get compensation....one must sue......

OM

by coke29 on 2009-03-28 09:31:25

I'll gladly put my name down and support you in getting this issue resolved.

Forget all the nonsense and trolling going here on the fact is this, i bought an x3 live so i could record the great pod sounds through USB....

I cant, it doesnt work properly. the audio cuts out after a minute or so.

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 09:36:08

OK, i've calmed down again now (thanks Johnnymosh!), It's up you guys now...

by johnnymosh on 2009-03-28 15:22:08

Bluestone,

The Trading Standards Institute is much like the Better Business Bureau here in the states.  It a government funded consumer advocacy organization.  The Trading Standards Institute does not litigate on behalf of consumers, much like the BBB here in the states.  It works toward a resolution of the complaints, and in certain cases, if a product or company is deemed unscrupulous and refuses to address legitimate complaints, it is prohibited from doing business, fined, etc..., just as they can here in the states... Just because an entity conducts commerce does not necessarily make it an ethical or law-abiding commercial entity.  Whether or not an individual views Line6 as an ethical or law-abiding entity is a matter of PERSONAL OPINION and EXPERIENCE.  Consumer advocacy, and other regulatory groups, exist to ensure that an individual consumer has a venue to challenge companies they feel do not abide by certain standards of fairness, ethics and law.

Plainly and simply, there are certain consumer experience FACTS that pertain to the X3Live USB issue:

1)  USB functionality for interfacing the X3Live with personal computing equipment was an advertised feature.  Period.  Its even stated on the product packaging.

2)  The USB functionality is deficient for an unknown number of X3 Live users.  Many of them have lodged complaints about the matter with Line6 through the support forums, the feedback channels, and/or by telephone.  In fact, some have made repeated complaints.

3)  The USB functionality defect has been a well known issue and Line6 has been publicly aware of it, and has publicly acknowledged it, for well over one year.

4)  Line 6 still does not have a publicly disseminated solution since the problem was first brought to their attention.

In light of the FACTS, if a consumer wants to complain about this problem to a consumer advocacy group, and in so doing polls other Line6 users at the request of the advocacy group about identical problems (so as to illustrate the frequency of the problem and a lack of support), they have every right to do so as registered owners and users of the defective product.  Furthermore, there is nothing stated in the Line6 Terms of Use that prohibits the discourse that Urchin is pursuing such action on this forum.  He is seeking X3Live PEER SUPPORT, which is the "raison d'etre" of this forum.   If he wants to try and rally the dissatisfied USB dropout sufferers that are here, there is nothing stated by Line6 that prohibits it, so long as his discourse is civil and the users want to join his cause willingly.  Here is an excerpt from the Terms:

"Forums and User Submissions.
Registered users are allowed to post materials or information (including, without limitation, resumes, personal information, graphics, images, opinions, comments, questions, product feedback, audio, and musical recording) on certain portions of the Website."

This is allowed provided that, among other things:

User Conduct.
By posting User Submissions to the Website, you agree to the following conduct guidelines and warrant that:

• You will not post any threatening, harassing, libelous, false, misleading, defamatory, insulting or offensive text, whether directed towards Line 6, Line 6's products, Line 6's employees, or another Website user.

I don't really see anything is his post that would fall into those categories.  If I were suffering from the X3Live USB dropouts out of the box and the USB functionality was a basis for my purchasing decision, you can bet I'd be perturbed and would consider pursuing the course of action that Urchin is taking.  Not everyone on this forum is having the rosy experiences with Line6 that you have had the good fortune of experiencing.  You should be thankful you don't have an X3Live lemon. I know I am thankful, knock-on-wood.  However, I empathize with those who are having problems and their torturously long wait for a fix.  And I also have seen that sometimes Line6 needs a fire lit under the fleshy portion of the gluteous maximum to get stuff fixed.  Squeaky wheels get the oil, as the old addage goes.  Line6 is a good company, but that does not excuse them from their responsibilities.

I think that Urchin made a reasonable request after your first few inquiries that you kindly either message him in private or start another thread about the matter so as to not detract from the intended result of his post, which is to garner a tally of the number of users who are having experiences similar to him.  He is not holding a gun to anyone's head to respond.  Though he could have worded his opening post with a bit more focus, I can still comprehend that his main complaint pertains to the USB Dropout.  I think his request to you was fair and decent.  Your remaining responses could as easily have been made via a private message.  I am quite certain that if the shoe were on the other foot, you would not be very appreciative of the continued distraction your subsequent replies are causing to his post.

I bid you adieu.

by Bluestone on 2009-03-28 17:57:17

We move on...well stated and well taken...

Aux grands maux, les grands remedes.....

Ca ne me dit pas grand-chose....

OM

by urchinvp on 2009-03-28 19:53:33

Blimey! ...um... touche? Cheers Johnny, I couldn't of put it better if i could spell lol! You are true Gent' and the missus says if you ever visit good ol' England, you are more than welcome in for a cup of tea, we couldn't record any music but i have the perfect coffee table to put the cups on!

So people, if you want some help, join the list from this point on... Onwards and upwards!

In the meantime, i'm off to bed. It's night time here in the U.K. don't you know?

Thanks again Johnny, peace.

by chrisblackwell on 2009-03-28 22:17:16

i'll sign...  i haven't had the issue in a while (actually, i haven't used the USB interface in a while, so i wouldn't know if it's working or not), but i did have the issue when i first got the unit...  and at any rate, if other people are still having the problem then i'm more than happy to lend my name to support them...

Chris Blackwell

501-205 Vodden Street East

Brampton, Ontario, CANADA

L6V 1M9

black_heart_chris@hotmail.com

feel free to forward this info to the Trading Standards Institute if they want a more specific explanation of my experiences with the X3L...

good luck

by maik211 on 2009-03-29 04:38:20

I sign it

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-03-29 08:30:45

I would sign it if i could figure out how to.

It would be easier to just return it for the repairs or refund where it was purchased from.

mine is being repaired for a number of issues including the usb dropout .

I expect it to be compleatly functional when I get it back.

by timowens on 2009-03-29 13:09:43

Were you specifically told that they could repair the USB Dropout? If so, which repair center told you this, some people around here have been contacting various service centers asking if they could fix it and so far all of them deny knowing about any fix.

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-03-29 14:30:10

Well,I will let you know if it works when it comes back from the service center.

Its on the list of many problems to have repaired on the x3l.

I replaced it for my live situation and also got a tascam usb soundcard for recording applications.

Pretty much fed up with the X3L feassco.

I would Like to stick the updates/flashes where the sun dont shine.....

by IbanezloverUV777 on 2009-03-29 19:43:56

I'll sign as well cuz I'm frustrated with this whole USB issue.  I don't know where this will get us, hopefully some news or something.

by Gravy4TheBrain on 2009-03-29 20:20:53

I'll Sign.

My POD X3 will only last between 10 and 30 seconds before droping out.

Bought in UK november 2008.

by urchinvp on 2009-03-31 01:37:03

Please read original post on how to sign.

Please keep comments and questions for another thread.

Many thanks,

by geeker on 2009-03-31 01:56:48

Where do I sign for my Windows XP sp3 computer since I have audio dropout on it and not my Vista 64 Laptop?

and I will comment here any time I want......it's a "public" forum.

by urchinvp on 2009-03-31 03:13:13

why do feel the need to be awkward when i'm just trying to help? Don't know why i'm bothering!

by geeker on 2009-03-31 03:36:38

how are you helping by threaten leagal action?

I was also ticked of about the audio dropout. I use to do this "online jam chat" thing with people around the world with my XT Live. Not with my X3 Live but don't you find it kind of weird that it works on two out of the five computers I own? I could understand your petition if EVERY X3/X3 Live that was produced/sold had this problem.......but it doesn't. We can only inform/warn consumers who might be interested in the X3/X3 Live that they might want to look into another Line 6 device or another companies device if they plan on using it for recording.

I'll be the first one to say "don't buy one IF you plan on using it for a computer audio interface."

by jact38 on 2009-03-31 03:59:39

Im not in the UK, but I will sign. Australia - dropouts on all 3 of my computers, laptops and desktops.

Im amazed by the loyalty of people who say "it works on 2 out of 5 computers".

So, my argument is, like mentionmed previously, if it is only compatible with some computers, then the specs need to be published or it is not fit for purpose.

So......If you bought a car and the brakes worked on 2 out of 5 roads??????????

by Rowbi on 2009-03-31 04:03:12

i agree with geeker.  it's a p1ss poor situation for those who have it (i've only experienced it a couple of times ever, and so I'm sceptical that if it's a driver issue, whether it was my PC at fault those times)... and my X3L was from the first batch so should have had all the problems, like dodgy foot switches, and the shrome bar issue, but to date it's been ok....

As I've said countless times before, the issue may not be with the driver, but may be more to do with peoples PC hardware (as geeker said)... I even started giving the advice to people that they should buy a seperate USB 2.0 PCI card, and some people did and it fixed their issue.  I already had such a card, and have no issues with it, but if I connect my X3L to my main PC USB ports (which share a USB bus with my keyboard, mouse and ipod) I can't even get gearbox to open and read the patches from my X3L without an error... that to me is plain and simple a PC hardware incompatibility, and not a line6 driver problem.  I have also said on the old forum, that I've had similar disconnects with my ipod on my main PC usb controller, but not with the extra controller I bought...  so it's not just a line6 issue....

but back to the discussion in hand.  keep going with a petition, but let's keep some perspective.  it does work with some PC's so it's not an open and shut issue...  line6 could specify certain USB cards that it will work with, but then that's as bad as using firewire if everyone needs to buy a specific card.  get some names on the petition and give it to line6 and let them do their stuff..

but I would agree that at the moment I'd recommend a POD studio + model packs setup to anyone wanting to record using USB... but for anything else, X3L is fine... or just make sure you buy the X3L from an online reseller that will accept returns for any reason... then you can try it with your system and if it works, great, if not it's not for you.

Keep rocking

Rowbi

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-03-31 07:25:16

Its not The computer...XTL work perfectly...no dropouts .

by timowens on 2009-03-31 07:39:33

+1

I'm with steeeeeeeeevo on this one.

* The Bean does not have the problem.

* The Pro does not have the problem (maybe one or two guys have reported it though).

* People who have the problem with the Live do not have any other USB device issues.

* Certain users have reported a hardware fix in the works (listen to them).

You can reason that some people have had good luck with certain changes to their computers, you can say that not everyone with a X3L has the problem, but you can't deny the four facts I just listed and they point to a hardware issue with the X3L.

by geeker on 2009-03-31 07:57:17

steeeeeeeeeevo wrote:

Its not The computer...XTL work perfectly...no dropouts .

XTL - USB 1.X  One audio channel? Re-amping capabilities

X3L - USB 2.0 Eight audio channels

I would have been happy with 2 channels (stereo) and re-amping capabilities.

by Rowbi on 2009-03-31 08:04:35

but the X3 uses USB2 and the XT users USB 1.1 so it's a different communication protocol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

ithink that this is why the problem exists... I think it's because audio devices are realtime, and USB devices are inherrantly not designed to work at realtime.  line6 has made some clever drivers that can overcome this, but they rely on the USB controller drivers to also be programmed correctly.  if they're not, then line6 can update their drivers until they're blue in the face... but it's never going to work...

I'm also not trying to say it's wholey the PC manufacturers fault either... but I'm just trying to make sure people don't assume it's line6's fault and waste their time on trying to get line6 to fix a problem that it may be impossible for them to do...  you may as well use a work around, and then at least you can get it working.

check out this page: http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htmthere's a lot of info (some not relevant to later OSs) about troubleshooting USB problems.  also see here: http://www.usbman.com/USB_Guides.htm

Iknow you all probably think I'm being a Line6 Fan Boy, but that's really not the case.  I have previously called Directors in Line6 to complain about things LIne6 has done and eventually got the issues reversed/sorted out (X3L midi implementation and exp pedal settings removal) but I annoyed some people at line6 by doing that... but I was prepared to fight the corner for the users, even though I personally don't use midi a whole lot, but I still stepped up to help. but in this case I genuinely think most of the drop out issues are resolvable with some time or a small ammount of money spent on a USB Controller card.  I paid £5 for one before I had my POD X3L and i've never had repeated USB drop outs like some of you.... but I flatter myself that having worked in IT Support and then IT Sys Admin and Network Security for nearly 10 years, that I have seen and fixed just about any PC fault you can think of, and I have dealt with a few USB related issues in my time, and have dealt first hand with manufacturers who release poor drivers for the chipset/USB controller....

I do hear your pain with the drop out issue (seriously I really do), and I'll willingly help anyone who has an issue to try and resolve it..... but waiting for line6 means you'll get annoyed real fast, and not get any recording done for a long time (in my opinion)

Cheers

Rowbi

by Rowbi on 2009-03-31 08:30:54

timowens wrote:

+1

I'm with steeeeeeeeevo on this one.

* The Bean does not have the problem.

* The Pro does not have the problem (maybe one or two guys have reported it though).

* People who have the problem with the Live do not have any other USB device issues.

* Certain users have reported a hardware fix in the works (listen to them).

You can reason that some people have had good luck with certain changes to their computers, you can say that not everyone with a X3L has the problem, but you can't deny the four facts I just listed and they point to a hardware issue with the X3L.

how many people actually own beans???  I've seen top sales ranks and the X3L is always right at the top, with the digitech jamman and the GT10.  the bean is nowhere near the top and nor is the Pro.  also most people with beans and pros seem to be more studio based, and i would think they put a little thought into getting a likely to work with audio PC for a home studio. but I may be wrong there... also I am sure I have heard a couple of people with beans who've had the issue, but there's so few of them around, that i don't think there's enough to do a good enough survey on them.  what would be ideal would be someone who has an X3L who has the issue to get a friend with a bean or Pro to test on their PC... that would tell us once and for all.

about the 3rd point... how many people have a 2nd 8 channel USB2 sound card that's not their X3L to test with...  printers are buffered and are not realtime... incidentally mice and keyboards do actually have a small lag, but they're USB1.1 devices anyway... it's a difficult point to prove either way, but I know of several people form the old forum who bought an extra PCI (one got a PCMCIA) USB2.0 card and the issue went away.  one person I can remember it didn't go away... but that's not to say the extra card didn't have a poorly designed USB controller driver too.

on the hardware fix... that'd be interesting... I wonder if it'll be a full recall or whether it'll be on an adhoc basis for people with issues only...

by ClassicalDad on 2009-03-31 08:43:52

Rowbi wrote:

on the hardware fix... that'd be interesting... I wonder if it'll be a full recall or whether it'll be on an adhoc basis for people with issues only...

I don't think I'd bother getting mine fixed if I didn't have the problem.

by Rowbi on 2009-03-31 08:47:02

lol, well yeah, but if it is a hardware problem, why doesn't everyone have it?? hmmm maybe there's something different about their PC then... so wouldn't that suggest that everyone should have it because if you buy another PC then you may get thte fault.???

by timowens on 2009-03-31 08:56:00

Here are quotes from Line6Miller (on the old forum) that support points #1 and #2...

The POD X3 Bean has never shown any signs of dropping out. The USB drop outs occur with the X3 Live only and you can record analog or SPDIF as well.

Line6Miller

No. The X3 Pro does not suffer from any USB related audio drop outs.
Line6Miller

Point #3 is debatable.

Point #4 is not debatable.

The only reason I chimed in on this thread is that this guy like so many others has a real problem with the USB, it is my position that this problem will not be fixed unless Line6 fixes it. I think it is good and proper to offer advice such as trying a dedicated USB card, disabling your internal sound card and NIC, etc. because these things have helped some people. But ultimately, this problem will not go away until Line6 makes it go away so let this guy have his petition.

Rowbi, you and I have disagreed in the past too, but I hope you know that I do have a lot of respect for you. In fact, there is no one I'd rather debate these things with.

Message was edited by: timowens

by ClassicalDad on 2009-03-31 08:57:37

We've been making these guesses for a year, and we're not getting any better at it. Without knowing what Line6 has discovered about the problem, what do we do? Maybe they'll tell us details, maybe they won't. I won't really care about the details any more once they fix my unit.

One of my guesses has always been that if Line6 could prove that it was a PC or USB card or PC config/loading problem (as is the case with most DAW problems) they would not be offering to fix the problem with a POD X3L hardware modification. For all we know, they may have quietly fixed ("improved") the X3 Pro oscillator before releasing the Pro.

by geeker on 2009-03-31 09:04:00

jact38 wrote:

Im not in the UK, but I will sign. Australia - dropouts on all 3 of my computers, laptops and desktops.

Im amazed by the loyalty of people who say "it works on 2 out of 5 computers".

So, my argument is, like mentionmed previously, if it is only compatible with some computers, then the specs need to be published or it is not fit for purpose.

So......If you bought a car and the brakes worked on 2 out of 5 roads??????????

I didn't buy my X3 Live for recording. I bought it so I can use it on stage.

I've already read that analogy soooooooooooo many times that I can come up with a few myself but why bother?

by phil_m on 2009-03-31 10:24:21

It's not so much loyalty as it is that I just don't use that feature.  I really don't have a lot of time to record right now.  I just wanted a decent sounding, portable piece of equipment, and the X3L meets those needs for me right now.  To me personally, the USB recording would be something like cruise control on a car.  It's a feature that should be there, but not something I use that often (and actually that analogy is kind of flawed because I use my car's cruise control way more than I would ever use the X3L's USB functionality).

by TheRealZap on 2009-03-31 10:29:35

i love beating a good analagy into the ground...

you know that whether you use the cruise control or not... the price of it was packaged into your purchase...

so is it really so wrong to expect it to work, even if you never use it?... kind of like the airbags

by phil_m on 2009-03-31 10:35:05

Well, I never said it shouldn't be fixed - I think it should.  All I'm saying is that for a lot of people it may not be a dealbreaker type of thing.  That may explain the slowness of Line 6 actually offering a solution.

by aural on 2009-03-31 13:39:10

Rowbi wrote:

lol, well yeah, but if it is a hardware problem, why doesn't everyone have it??

Easy one- because SOME of the components are faulty, not every single one in the batch.

by Gmaj7 on 2009-03-31 14:10:09

Well I'm just like most of the people here with the issue. I just want it fixed. For those of us who cannot play for more then a few mins before failure its frustrating to see "we're' working on it" from 2008 and a year later "we're close"..

Leaving many of their customers like me in the dark doesn't seem to be the wisest business decision.  The lack of a swift solution is enough to steer many away from future Line6 products. Surely after a year they have atleast a small indication of what the issue is. People don't usually get frustrated when they are kept in the loop and know they will be taken care of and in a timely manner. But when that info is so hard to come by then its easy to get paranoid and feel shafted.

As far as inherent flaws in USB implementation between vendors and all of the other defenses of Line6. That is all fine and dandy , but Line6 needs to officially state the same thing.

Maybe provide a list of hardware the X3 works with etc.. requirement specs etc.

by Rowbi on 2009-03-31 14:35:15

timowens wrote:

Here are quotes from Line6Miller (on the old forum) that support points #1 and #2...

The POD X3 Bean has never shown any signs of dropping out. The USB drop outs occur with the X3 Live only and you can record analog or SPDIF as well.

Line6Miller

No. The X3 Pro does not suffer from any USB related audio drop outs.

Line6Miller

Point #3 is debatable.

Point #4 is not debatable.

The only reason I chimed in on this thread is that this guy like so many others has a real problem with the USB, it is my position that this problem will not be fixed unless Line6 fixes it. I think it is good and proper to offer advice such as trying a dedicated USB card, disabling your internal sound card and NIC, etc. because these things have helped some people. But ultimately, this problem will not go away until Line6 makes it go away so let this guy have his petition.

Rowbi, you and I have disagreed in the past too, but I hope you know that I do have a lot of respect for you. In fact, there is no one I'd rather debate these things with.

Message was edited by: timowens

there's nothing like a good old (mass) debate

i wasn't aware of line6miller posting points 1 and 2, so I'll certainly concede where I'm proved wrong

but i stand by the fact that although line6 may be able to make it better (oe they may not) but I think many people with this issue could potentially sort it out by spending only a few £ ans a couple of hours of time... I'm not condoning line6 taking so long... but surely iti's better to have a work around (or at least try it all) rather than sticking to principle, whilst at the same time not being able to record for months... some perspective is required, that's all

by jact38 on 2009-03-31 15:41:33

A few dollars? I use mine on a laptop in my studio - where can I get a USB card for a few dollars. It didnt work with my last laptop or my desktop.

I have spent 900 dollars on the thing, 600 on monitors, and 200 on headphones and 100 on cables. The point y'all overlook, this isnt about recording for me and maybe others. I bought it to use with gearbox and i-tunes, I dont play in a band, and rarely record. I just got sick of amp packs and no footswitches and this looked perfect and I had a windfall. So for me, this thing is COMPLETELY useless. Silly me.

I reckon I have spent enough. I dont get why those without the problem cant let those with the problem be, to get their units fixed. Everything else is noise. And just think yourself fotunate really.

by Rowbi on 2009-04-01 02:51:35

jact38 said:

A few dollars? I use mine on a laptop in my studio - where can I get a USB card for a few dollars. It didnt work with my last laptop or my desktop.

how's about here £5.50: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCMCIA-USB2.0-Cardbus-4-Ports-PC-Card-for-Laptop-_W0QQitemZ380113612287QQcmdZViewItemyou must be able to get something similar in the US for roughly the same cost.

I have spent 900 dollars on the thing, 600 on monitors, and 200 on headphones and 100 on cables.

The point y'all overlook, this isnt about recording for me and maybe others. I bought it to use with gearbox and i-tunes, I dont play in a band, and rarely record. I just got sick of amp packs and no footswitches and this looked perfect and I had a windfall. So for me, this thing is COMPLETELY useless. Silly me.

not silly you, you're right.  for you it's totally useless.  I do see both sides of this.  (and this isn't aimed at you directly) but I keep coming up against the same sort of answers whenever I get invloved in this debate.  and it's always the same, but very few people I've spoken to have actually gone the whole route and tried to talk to the manufacturer of the PC, and tried to get to the bottom of this.

I reckon I have spent enough.

how much of that $1800 PC did you spend specifically trying to fix the issue?  or are you using the fact that you happen to have a high spec PC to suggest that it can't possibly be the even part of the issue??

I dont get why those without the problem cant let those with the problem be, to get their units fixed.

because this is a support forum, and we're trying to help.  I've said previously if anyone wants me to help them fix the issue, I can't guarantee we'll get anywhere, but we can try.... people have sent usints back to line6 to be fixed and they can't find a fault.  if it were a case of a faulty batch of USB 'stuff' in the X3L then surely they'd just replace the mainboard and send it back fixed.... that's why I'm certain the PC's hardware is as much a part to play in the resolution... otherwise we wouldn't have some users with the issue, and some without.

Everything else is noise. And just think yourself fotunate really.

I do, but I also can understand how much of a pain in the a$$ this must be for all those affected.... I've offered to help, and no one wants help... so obviously some of the people with the issue like that it's a pain in the ass... whatever yanks your chain..etc

Cheers

Rowbi

by MarkSSwanson on 2009-04-01 06:02:53

Rowbi:  I have done the things listed for the PC end and it did indeed help.  My dropout times now average about once every 2 or 3 hours for recording and playback and while I wish it was never I can hang on, hoping that L6 will eventually fix this.  Jamming with iTunes or Guitarport online is something I don't do, so maybe it triggers the dropout more rapidly.  However, my point is that tweaking the PC end did help me.  Having said that I'm also disappointed in the incredibly slow and incommunicative L6 response to a real problem. But it's also true that different users view the problem differently.  Some want L6 to fix it immediately and view it as false advertising to say that USB is available, some are willing to wait, others have abandoned the idea that L6 is working on it, some are willing to work around and/or tweak their machines.  The problem with the last option is it's hit or miss.  Some, like me, were helped by it, others got no help after investing more money.  It's like food and music, everybody has different tastes and different budgets and different points of view.  But I appreciate you listing those tweaks and work arounds - some will use them and perhaps be helped.  Peace everybody.

Mark

by Starriddin on 2009-04-01 06:50:45

+1 ClassicalDad - My frustration as well! I'll support my UK friends but I don't think it will help us here in the US. We just have to wait and hope this gets fixed before someone decides there are "sufficient work-arounds" and decide not to fix it at all a la Vetta II.

by urchinvp on 2009-04-02 03:01:45

Ignore the Ego's people, keep it up!

*bump*

by Rowbi on 2009-04-02 03:57:44

starriddin said:

+1 ClassicalDad - My frustration as well! I'll support my UK friends but I don't think it will help us here in the US. We just have to wait and hope this gets fixed before someone decides there are "sufficient work-arounds" and decide not to fix it at all a la Vetta II.

I don't think it'ss not get fixed if it needs fixing.

Line6 have been looking into it for a while now.  if it is a hardware fault, then that would explain the length of time they've been looking at it.  if it was firmware it would probably have been fixed by now.

there are work arounds which do work for some people (as you all know I've said in the past) but line6 are the only people who know for sure what the issue may be.

for all your sakes I hope it's a firmware fix then it's nice and easy to sort out... no having to send back to line6 to repair... and you also get to tell me "I told you so"...

believe me I'll be the first one to hold my hands up if I'm wrong, as I want to see everyone who spends their hard earned cash on guitar gear (from line6 or anyone else) have it work perfectly...

the reality is sometimes there are bugs, sometimes these take time to fix, and sometimes there is no fix because it's not faulty...

Cheers

Ego

by urchinvp on 2009-04-02 06:05:11

I think the reality is that Line 6 need to apologise to the countless customers who trusted them and re-address there advertising and packaging with something along the lines of "May not work as an audio interface on some computers", It's not rocket science.

by Rowbi on 2009-04-02 06:40:32

i definately think that whether it's a POD hardware issue or a PC issue, that line6 need to change how it's worded on the box.  but it depends on what the issue is to how to fix it.  if it's POD hardware, then it's easy, fix all the existing PODs... say sorry to all the people who had the issue, and get it right next time.  if it's a PC hardware issue, it's simple list specific PCI and PCMCIA USB2 cards that it will work with... the only problem with that, is so many people would be put off by them having to upgrade their PC hardware, that PODs wouldn't sell as much, and then the whole community sufferes, as if line6 doesn't make as much cash, we have to wait longer for new things.

surely you can also see it from their side also...

I'm confident that whatever the outcome is, that line6 will make it right some how... they're good chaps.

by ClassicalDad on 2009-04-02 07:27:29
My post of a quote from Line6Miller yesterday only got a few replies. Did people think it was an April Foll's joke?

From Line6Miller:

1-Apr-2009 11:16 AM

I have been working diligintly on this issue for the last few days and we are very near to rolling out a fix for the USB issue.
Line6Miller

http://line6.com/community/message/12547#12547

Messagewas edited by: ClassicalDad

Fixed link.

by Rowbi on 2009-04-02 07:32:41

that link didn't work

by ClassicalDad on 2009-04-02 07:41:49

I fixed the link, thanks.

by Bizoner on 2009-04-02 08:03:28

Signing in..

Im tired of line 6 tech smudging us and dont admit its a hardware problem just cause it will cost them in a major fix.

We bought this device for the use of the Soundcard function and its not functioning properly .. im shocked that no one

sew this company yet.

Gady Ezra

Bought it at Softmap Tokyo, Japan

Currently living in Israel

by timowens on 2009-04-02 08:08:29

Okay, I'll play the consumers advocate...

How much time has passed?

How many other products have been developed and brought to market?

How much software has been developed and bought to market?

And yet some people are still waiting for their units to be fixed, some have been waiting for well over a year, some have invested time and money into trying to make it work with no sucess. Sometimes it's hard to reason these things out when you're the one who has a defective product.

by urchinvp on 2009-04-02 08:27:48

ha ha, de ja vu? I think we have all lost faith. Prove us wrong Line 6, quickly!?!

by jact38 on 2009-04-03 17:12:43

Hey Rowbi

So the comment about noise was not aimed at you personally either. It was those folks who seem to have issues with the people who have this issue, saying to be quiet, I have even read people saying that it is not really an issue, which is great if you dont have it.

I have tried all and every piece of advice.

I reitterate, this doesnt work on 2 different laptops - a Toshiba and an HP - worlds apart in specs. Nor on my quadcore desktop. So, I am an IT consultant, and while I dont pretend to be a hardware expert, Im not a computer newbie either. I dont think, after hours of trying, that is anything to do with the PC - what REALLY want to do, is play my guitar.

And while I might be able to go out and buy more (cheap) stuff, I shouldnt have to. If that fixes the problem, then Line 6 should pay for each person to get a USB card. And Im sure, as I have read, that doing so would introduce even more small issues. One more thing in the chain eh?

I do think peeople have taken advice and yours, and for those who treat this as a support forum, thank you, I tip my hat. But to those who criticize a person for trying to gather enough support to get some sort of group action going, I dont get you at all.

I am just tired of owning products that are not fit for purpose and having to waste time on this sort of thing.

A wise man once said to me, dont write a letter in anger, write one to your Mum instead. Good advice, I think I will just settle for the fact that I cant fix this, and just make sure that everyone knows the story if they ask me what I think about the product.

I am now going to go and play the Jam and Reboot game.

by Zeusse on 2009-04-03 20:11:23

I find it amazing that after all this time they have treated this issue like this. I also have a Digitech GNX4 and never have had a problem with it and have gone back to it so I can record USB. Next time I'm deciding to take a gamble and try something new it won't be with Line 6...shame!

by urchinvp on 2009-04-04 02:47:25

Just wanted to thank all those who have supported so far and bump this up the forum, so many, many thanks guys. Wouldn't it be nice if Line 6 sort this very soon, then we can forget all this?

Cheers

by geeker on 2009-04-04 02:56:56

Do you really think they're really snubbibg us? Ignoring the issue while their reputation goes down the toilet?I think not......

I think they have responded to us in the forums many, many times.

I'll be the first one to say "don't get the X3 Live/X3 Pro or X3 if you plan on using it for recording. You'll be rolling the dice if you want one that works."

by DagerOne on 2009-04-04 06:51:14

I applaud the effort here.  I think it makes a lot of sense for folks to appeal to this sort of agency.  It takes the subjectivity and emotion out of the equation, and that's a good thing when trying to get resolution to a problem.

I personally think the most effective means to get the issue fixed would be for everyone to submit a review of the product to the website from which they purchased their unit, or to the likes of harmony-central.com.  When I'm looking to buy gear, those are the places I look.  Make the reviews fair, the posts well-written and educated (a rarity, unfortunately), and I think you'll have infinitely more success than if you post here.  Many of the folks here only found this place after looking for help with the problems they've experienced after buying the unit, when their money is already in the pockets of the company in question.  Those other places and websites affect users before they've spent their money.  It's easy (though perhaps unethical) to ignore the pleas of those who have already given their money to you...it's corporate suicide to continue to produce and support a product that no one wants.

Just the same, just in case it helps...add me to the list.  Good luck, OP.

Re: USB - petition, Sign Here:- hafhed
by hafhed on 2009-04-04 07:51:22

i'll sign the petition but i dont know how effective it will be considering im from Canada.. the real reason im pissed is because i am the owner of at least 6 - 7000 dollars worth of line 6 stuff.. ive already been left in the cold regarding my vetta 2 hd. For those who arent aware they just stopped supporting their flagship regarding fixes and offered workarounds. now im getting the runaround considering the x3l. if its a hardware issue i expect some sort of decision on their part. this is technology so the year + i have been unable to use this device in the way it was intended brings it closer to obsolescence. then they will release a new product forget this and charge me full price again.. very uncool for a tech based company..

by hafhed on 2009-04-04 07:54:25

and to those who are making excuses for them. it never should have left the warehouse if it had issues.. can anyone say microsoft vista. its alot of double talk on their part and its time they either recall the unit or fix it... it is inherently a usb device. why should i have to settle.. we've all been waiting patiently for over a year.. thats a ridiculous amount of time.

by hafhed on 2009-04-04 07:58:35

i emailed the webmaster of vettaville and they were reluntant to post any concerns regarding the usb dropouts.. i hate the fact that its getting to the point where we have to post negative comments regarding this product on review sites. but the hand is being forced.. their are alot of positives about this unit - the tones , etc.. but the fact remains its not fully functional.

by hafhed on 2009-04-04 08:13:01

its been over one year since the issue was brought to their attention.. and just for a little history lesson they stopped all fixes for their "flagship" vetta 2 hd. This should raise a few concerns to say the least. that if they can stop fixing a 2500 dollar unit.. what makes u think they wont declare this problem irrelevant... something to think about before u run to the defence of line 6's corporate agenda.

by urchinvp on 2009-04-04 16:50:29

Cheers people, but we all know the who, where, what, why's... just sign the petition... happy days!

by pda041376 on 2009-04-04 18:28:23

Ok, I have been vacant and silent for quite awhile now. But I must weigh in on this(especially after seeing IT experts posting). NOw, I have had an X3 Live since 13(or is it 15) December 2007, in the time I have had it I have successfully had my X3L work with my Dell 1705 laptop, more recent had my X3L fail on an Acer Aspire 5735, and had it work successfully on my newly acquired MacBook. That being said, while I applaud your efforts, a petition(no matter what country its based in or what consumer/business board or bureau is involved) seems not likely to get any result. Seeing as how on 2 out of 3 completely different systems/setups I have had my unit work as advertised proves the point that it is more of a user hardware issue than an X3L issue. And believe it or not go scour other forums of devices using USB 2 for an interface, guess what, same issues show up. Good day and good luck.

by ClassicalDad on 2009-04-04 19:27:27

Just curious,

There seems to be several people here who criticize others for not trying hard enough to find hardware that works with the X3L. Not even Line6 staff have laid such blame.

Are you going to complain and criticize Line6 when they announce a hardware fix for this problem?

Are you going to line up to get your unit fixed even though it only fails on some of the computers you own?

by pda041376 on 2009-04-04 21:04:54

Bro, understand what I wrote, do not read into it. What I said was I can understand the petition, although I do not think it will yield any result, no matter which group you petition to.  Now in my eyes, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but I can see there is an issue one 1/3 of the computers I tried it on (which would not warrant any action against false advertising). So yes there is a problem, is it X3L hardware to blame, I still do not believe that is the case, again 2 out of 3 system says it isn't.  Also please fact check me, research any other "audio interface" that is using USB 2 (I think it was M-Audio forum that i most recently saw this issue), and see that this is not a problem that is isolated to Line 6. Now that I have experienced the dropout(on a brand new computer) I can better empathize with the folks that have the issue, but I am fortunate enough to have 2 other systems to fall back on(again fair, no; but also proves user hardware has more to do with it than most people are inclined to think). Oh and for the record: Dell Inspiron 1705 Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 , only one dropout(traced to media center services running in background); Acer Aspire 5735 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit(dropout within minutes); MacBook 2,1 OS X 10.5.6 no dropout.

As far as your questions:

No I will not criticize line 6 if the find a way to hardware fix an issue that plagues USB 2 audio interface issues. I would applaud them(and possibly refer other audio devices to them to find the cure for their equipment).

Will I line up to get my unit fixed, no, I see no reason, my unit works fine on 2 out of 3 of my systems=not broken in my eyes.

by cyface on 2009-04-04 21:10:47

I have experencied USB Audio Drop-Outs since I purchased my X3, making it nigh-unusable for my purposes.  I have updated my firmware and tried all suggestions.

by ClassicalDad on 2009-04-04 21:32:24

My post was only partly inspired by yours.   Last night I borrowed (OK, I stole) my mother's laptop. She's 85, but the laptop is only a few years old. It drops out too. That makes 6 computers that I've tried and they all drop out. No matter, interest in these discussions will drop off any day now when Line6 finally rolls out the hardware fix. Pretty darn nice of Line6 to fix the X3L hardware for free when the problem has been with my 6 computers all along. I will forever sing their praise for this.

by euphoriaburn on 2009-04-05 07:11:45

Why don't you try to isolate the problem. I mean what cause the dropout.

And who the hell still use USB 1.0/1.1, that was a 10 years ago .

So X3L have an integrated sound blaster which does not work properly for some people, myself included.

Some say its a hardware problem, yes it is. Thats why it has to be isolate it, what cause it.

It seems that it wont work properly on cheap configuration (motherboards), so we have to buy a newer  and more expensive.

Is it there someone who can test it with external sound card via USB, to see does it dropout.

an example is Creative they are good with this.

I think  what will happen if Line6 integrate Creative soundcard on X3L (rock).

by Rowbi on 2009-04-05 07:36:25

it's not about how expensive your PC is.  some very expensive systems still have the issue.  the USB controller which is part of the motherboard is probably only a few pence.

my shuttle PC (small form bare bones thing) has issues with a lot of USB devices, my iPOD especially, so I bought a PCI USB 2.0 controller card (4 years ago) before I got my XT and X3 and I always use this 4 port card for all my USB audio devices... it works fine.  I have seen the dropouts a couple of times when I connected my POD to my built in USB controller on my motherboard by mistake... same POD, same USB cable, same PC, different controller.

I do fully admit that this fix doesn't work for everyone, but surely this evidence shows (it doesn't prove though) that the issue may not be POD hardware related.

at the end of the day, the only way to prove the issue is with the POD hardware design is if it happened to everyone.... this isn't the case.

the only way to prove it's a faulty batch (or batches of PODs) is to test the PODs that some people can't get to work, on other PC's that are known to work with other POD X3L's.. and this isn't likely to happen outside LIne6's office... to the jury's out on this one.

or the only way to prove it's PC hardware is to find a fix that will work for everyone... that's not happened..

i still maintain that some people could get it to work, I also recognise that many people have tried hard to get this working and haven't managed to... I also know (from listening to some people) that some users (only a few though) haven't even bothered to try and fix it, and maintain that it's line6's job to make it work....  I only aim to try and help some of these people get it working before line6 come out with whatever fix... and the only thing I hope to gain from this is that I'll have helped get other guitarists recording again sooner rather than later.

here's hoping line6 release a simple firmware fix so this can easily be resolved... but I'll believe it's simple when I see it.

Peace

Rowbi

by aural on 2009-04-05 07:40:46

To anyone who says that an X3L working on 2 out of 3 computers is proof that the problem is with the user's computer, I counter with the fact that users have posted that Line6's UX8 works on their computer, yet X3L does NOT. Both 8 channel USB interfaces, same computer,one works,one doesn't...what does that tell you??

by euphoriaburn on 2009-04-05 07:46:58

Yes Rowby,

i mean cheap motherboard = cheap USB controller, no surprise.

But let be honest is it strange that new configured PC or Notebook has a dropout issue with POD X3L, while some external SoundCard brand doesn't !!!

And as you say that, some working PODs has to be tested with non working and vice versa.

I do not blame anybody lets just find out.

PEACE

by Rowbi on 2009-04-05 08:42:08

aural said:

To anyone who says that an X3L working on 2 out of 3 computers is proof that the problem is with the user's computer, I counter with the fact that users have posted that Line6's UX8 works on their computer, yet X3L does NOT. Both 8 channel USB interfaces, same computer,one works,one doesn't...what does that tell you??

it tells me that we do not know.  if you're trying to imply that the fault is with the POD, then why does the POD work at all, on 1 of the 3 PC's??  same POD, different behavior on different PC's??

I'm not saying it's not the POD with a fault... but we're all just blindly guessing.  your argument isn't proof, it suggests that it's the POD, but because it worked on one PC, that's still partially saying that the POD's fine....

and I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right... I'm just looking at it objectively...

i'm also not saying, 'well it works on one, the POD's not faulty' because there's clearly an issue.

let me just make a statement, as i think a lot of people think I'm defending line6... I am not!

i've already said all I want is to have this issue fixed, whatever it is....

what I am trying to do is to be objective and see if we can try to work out where the fault lies... and at the moment we can't.  there's too many fact which disprove the issues.  the differences are PODs from different batches and different firmware... only line6 knows what parts are modified.  we have different users, and we have many different PC's... we're never going to work it out really, but we can try

line6 on the otherhand, can rule out the one thing that we can't... and that's the hardware/firmware side of things... and either know that's the fault or it's not the fault.

Peace

Rowbi

by timowens on 2009-04-05 13:57:46

pda041376 wrote:

...Will I line up to get my unit fixed, no, I see no reason, my unit works fine on 2 out of 3 of my systems=not broken in my eyes.

Think about what you are saying, what if you decide to sell it, what if you wanted to bring it into a recording studio and their computer was one of the defective computers? I think a lot of people are going to send their X3L's in for the USB repair whether it's a problem for them or not.

by timowens on 2009-04-05 14:31:53

Pretty darn nice of Line6 to fix the X3L hardware for free when the problem has been with my 6 computers all along. I will forever sing their praise for this.

LOLOLOLOL

That is too funny, I mean the tears are flowing...

LOLOLOLOL

So does that mean that you have to send all 6 computers to L6 for repair?

by pda041376 on 2009-04-05 15:25:02

I am not even going to argue about what real studios consist of, opinions vary apparently. As it is, no I will have no need to get mine fixed, I have 2 systems it works on and one it doesn't, guess what will probably get sold? How about the system that doesn't work properly. I am making a switch away from PC to Macs anyways after playing with this MacBook for a few weeks.

Please do go back and read what I actually wrote. I am not here to say one way or the other its crappy computers or crappy Line 6. I am just saying that the petition, no matter what country or form it takes, can not claim "false advertising", as the X3L does work not just for me but others as well. How many times have you ever dealt with a client/customer that just wanted to report everything is peachy and coming up roses? In anycase, please do check other forums for audio devices that use "USB 2" interfaces you will see this is not just a Line 6 issue.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-04-05 15:45:18

timowens wrote:

what if you wanted to bring it into a recording studio and their computer was one of the defective computers?

First things first.  There would be no plugging in via USB to record in a non-home (i.e. - pro) recording studio.  If they're using ProTools, you're going S/PDIF into a Digi interface, or your analog outs into their console.  And that's if you're going to use a POD.  I know some producers turn their noses up at them and you get little say in the matter.  But that point is neither here nor there.

by ClassicalDad on 2009-04-05 15:45:18

I agree that "false advertising" claims and other tactics have or had little chance of being effective, other than to keep the issue very visible to Line6 and all the users here. And that, most people agree, is what has been important all along. IMO it's never mattered much what any body ever said, as long as the threads and posts kept coming. With that in mind, I've mostly refrained from commenting on peoples antics one way or another, but I do prefer to see people vent their frustrations towards Line6 and not each other.

I don't care to search the web for USB issues for devices that I don't have, but offhand, did you notice if Line6 is the only company to actually fix the problem by modifying their own hardware? That perhaps says a lot about the company and/or the real nature of the problem.  We're likely to never know the actual details of the problem, but clearly Line6 knows very well after all this time. Their actions will reflect what they've learned about the problem.

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-04-05 17:20:18

I heard the new line6 product anouncement is for USB 2.0 cards.

yep, no more droppouts while using your X3L.

I still have not got my pod X3L back from sevice center so...1 month or so later.

by wardick on 2009-04-05 18:00:18

How about the new product announcement where everything works upon release?  Its been forever I can't even remember, but when the X3/X3L first came out there was no PC based editor for months, no variax implementation/editing, guitar port and whatever else all that online stuff is, functional USB and whatever else.  I mean they did the same thing with the X3PRO and there was no variax workbench stuff upon release.

I petition that Line 6 release products when they can actually perform to all hype and expectations right out the box and not months or years later.

by pda041376 on 2009-04-05 18:04:16

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=7281

href="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8422454">http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8422454

href="http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Motherboards/Q_23837375.html" style="text-decoration: none;">http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Components/Motherboards/Q_23837375.html

http://www.scratchlive.net/forum/discussion/?discussion_id=23192

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/28/47654-usb-dropout.html  ""Due to internal USB architecture issues on the MacBook, use of Digidesign, M-Audio, or third-party USB audio devices is supported on the front USB port only (the port farthest away from the screen)."  Hm, still finding more examples and this tidbit seems to have been missed in previous Mac USB dropout issue solutions.

https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/106532/General_Discussion/USB_dropouts.html

A simple search in google reveals all this. But it surely can not be an actual USB (which falls under PC hardware) issue can it? These links are just a sample of the search results, the list goes on and on and on.

by pda041376 on 2009-04-05 18:54:06

@wardick: Fact checking is a bitch. You are right when X3 series came out there was no PC based editor, there was also no mention on box or otherwise about a PC based editor. USB issue, again how many are affected vs. how many are not? Guitar Port online was released on March 7 2007 for X3, so no not right at release(Nov. 2006) but not nearly as off as you seem to suggest(and again was not advertised as a feature on box or otherwise).  NO one is going to drop in on a support forum just say say everything is going well... In any case this is off-topic but please before trying to damn something get your facts correct.

by wardick on 2009-04-05 19:12:58

pda041376 wrote:

@wardick: Fact checking is a *****. You are right when X3 series came out there was no PC based editor, there was also no mention on box or otherwise about a PC based editor. USB issue, again how many are affected vs. how many are not? Guitar Port online was released on March 7 2007 for X3, so no not right at release(Nov. 2006) but not nearly as off as you seem to suggest(and again was not advertised as a feature on box or otherwise).  NO one is going to drop in on a support forum just say say everything is going well... In any case this is off-topic but please before trying to damn something get your facts correct.

@pda041376: Then why did and do they still call the X3 an upgrade from XT or older Line 6 gear?  I got emails from Line 6 saying to upgrade to X3 today.   Upgrade to me means everything that existed before works, plus new stuff and coolness that  works.   Yeah it was April before gearbox came out to replace edit for the X3.  It was half a year later before the free Pod Farm came to replace some resemblance to the re-amp feature of the XT.   Where's to dots?  When I moved XT to X3 is was not upgrade.  It was move to an inferior incomplete product.  When I purchased X3L is was either downgrade or lateral move move to some different product depending upon point of view.   The way stuff comes across in perception versus the reality of Line 6 are two different things.  I can certainly back track to specific things to specific time frames, but why bother, the fact ultimately are the same, the product was not done on all levels at time of release.  Not just the X3 stuff either.   High level, globally the condition exists across platforms.  Save your money now for the next big incomplete thing that will go to market late 2009 and at some point in 2010 if may work as well as your X3 technology does today which isn't saying much.   You know when using the same companies product for 6-7 years it is very easy to see patterns whether be continuous improvement, digression or whatever else.   The new folks coming on board at genteration X3 don't have a clue yet.

by hafhed on 2009-04-05 21:47:16

look man, this is irrelevant. some of us have faulty devices some dont.. we just want line 6 to step up and fix the issue.. i have had my unit for over a year waiting for this to be fixed. alot of other users are in the same boat.. i dont care what problems with usb other devices have and im sure the people who have defective x3l feel the same.. if yours is working thats cool but dont lecture or comment on an issue that is not effecting you.

by euphoriaburn on 2009-04-06 01:07:58

I think the better solution is to keep away from cheap USB Controllers or Line6 to build one which will be in versions PCMCIA (for notebooks) and PCI (for desktops),

so you will have to use the recommended controller by Line6 to avoid audio dropouts.

so how they will spread it, I don't know

1. with the product (X3L)
  2. and separate from the product

by pda041376 on 2009-04-06 04:57:56

Learn to read before you post, I have the issue on 1(that is one) of my systems, but not on 2(that would be two) other systems. Those links are posted for all the "no other audio device I has these dropouts" people. It is a well known fact that USB is not the best medium for audio transfer, but hell what do actual sound and computer engineers know anyway right?

by urchinvp on 2009-04-07 03:15:39

bump

by Bizoner on 2009-04-07 07:41:37

im going to get a USB PCI card today, currectly i have a sound drop out after 5-10 min ..

ill update you how that work out..

Hope it works

by Germany1 on 2009-04-07 11:01:01

I would like to support the petition.

by Bizoner on 2009-04-07 11:22:59

Ok, i got my PCI USB card and plugged it in to the x3 live and i have results.

Without the card the sound drop out was about 10 min ..

now i guess its about and hour, hour and half .. altough when i tryed the first it crashed after 20 seconds.

the first and third crashes occured excectly when something happend at the computer, at the first it was when someone got in the msn and window poped out ..

at the third it was when i loaded firefox.

so i guess it something that is realted to the hardware, when theres a load on it

its a big improvment but still not enough for makin' it a parmenent soundcard, waiting for the LINE6 Fix

by Bizoner on 2009-04-07 12:58:47

Another tip, if you are using it to play along with your music dont use windows media player.

i switched to winamp and it works for 3 hours and havent had a drop out with it

by Leliel on 2009-04-07 13:25:11

I never use the Media Player and still have the USB problem ...

by purpleclouds on 2009-04-09 02:15:48

Here my Story about Line6 and USB.

I Used to have an Acer Laptop with a PODXt Live, and I was really not satisfied with the USB behaviour( lot of drop out, and sometimes Compputer crashed).

Although I have bought a PCMCIA USB card on my laptop (after reading a lot of posts here), the issue was still the same.

I have finally sold my Acer laptop and my podXtlive on Ebay, and then I have bought a new custom PC with a Line 6 UX8!!!

My PC is  made on ASUS P5QE Motherboard with INTEL P45 Chipset which is one of the best chipset on the market.

VISTA 64BIts installed, with 4 Go Ram Dual Channel, And QuadCore Intel Processor.

I was thinking  I was now ready to use my UX8 and my new computer in the best way!!!

Bullshits!!!!!

Since 3 month ago it is worst than it was with my laptop, My UX8 Drop out after using the soundcard sometimes 5  minutes some others after 2 hours!!!!!

I have sometimes BSOD and when lookink at the Dump file, I can see that it's the Line 6 Drivers that crashed my PC....

I really love Line 6 Product, I really like what they can do about modelizing, But what the Hell FIX THAT USB THING!!!!!!!!

I am a Line 6 Customer since 10 years ago, I have bought the Line6 Pod 2.0, the Pod Xtlive, The UX8, with all the model expansions....

And I am really thinking about buying another sound card and selling my definitvely My UX8 on Ebay , and break out my Customer relation Ship with Line6....

by phil_m on 2009-04-09 04:05:36

You're the first person I've seen who's had this issue with the UX8.  Have you tried contacting Line 6 about it?  I imagine this is a different thing altogether than the X3L, even it is exhibiting some of the symptons.

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-09 05:38:32

the XT shouldn't have the problem, and as pointed out previous the UX8 shouldn't either...

you seem pretty knowledgeable with your computer/chipset info... but i strongly suspect that the problem is there...

all it takes is one bum stick of memory... if possible try another machine...

if that works then you can start sorting out your intended machine... (i'd start with memory though...)

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-04-09 07:31:05

I never had that problem with xtl on many computers.

Its going to cost me $150 to repair my X3L because its out of warrenty, I shouls have it in a week or so.

If your product is still under warrenty do your self a favoror and sent it to service center before the warrenty expires.

Just a heads up.

My X3L had a few problems not just USB.............

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-09 07:46:14

i had an issue with my XTL that was going to cost 250$... which i could have replaced on ebay for that money...

i chose instead to put it towards an X3L and upgrade.

but i agree! do whatever you can under warranty or store exchange policies while they are in effect!

by ans-si on 2009-04-09 10:44:29

I bought pcmcia usb card for my powerbook mac today.

Did not help at all.

That is, waste of money and time.

by purpleclouds on 2009-04-09 10:58:01

Ok I have just finished a memtest on boot, And I have 0 error!!!

So my issue is not on memory side!

And I still have usb dropout with my UX8, most of the time, I loose my Usb connection with my UX8, and several minutes after I get a BSOD!!!

Line6 member are allways suspecting hardware quality or line6 drivers and software not updated but listen to that:

I have a Quad core Q8300, an Asus P5QE motherboard with Intel P45 Chipset, G-Skill Dual Channel Memory of 4GO (succesfully tested with memtest), Everything on Windows VISTA 64, with line6 monkey Updated of course.

AND I still have issue with my UX8!

The worst of that is that I have bought my UX8 on a german Internet site (new UX8), because there were no store close to my home where I could buy it and I think that I won't be able to use any warrantly....

Such a Nightmare my friends, I only hope that it's really a Driver issue that will be fix with a next update...((myabe I am a dreamer I know)

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-09 11:11:03

i don't work for line6 and i have nothing to gain whether you buy their products, like them or hate them...

i am a full time systems administrator with multiple certfications which i won't bore you with here...

the advice i want to give you is do not trust the memtest...

if you get the same issue on a completely different machine then obviously it's almost certain to be the Line6 stuff...

if you don't have another computer available and you are comfortable doing so... try removing all the memory except one stick...

your computer will run slower but should run... try to recreate the issue...

if you are successful and you get the BSOD again... try the same thing with a different stick to be sure that you didn't retain the bad stick...

if it happens then... i would doubt that you have 2 bad sticks... so then i'd try something besides memory...

there are many variables when you have a custom computer... this is why i stick with OEM's now...

they make sure that the hardware is 100% compatible... because recalling millions of machines is something they dont want to do!

in any case... i'm just trying to help... but i honestly think that with two pieces of gear and an issue that those pieces of gear aren't known to have...

i strongly suspect your machine. FWIW

by purpleclouds on 2009-04-09 11:32:34

Hi zap3nc,

and thanks for your advice.

I still have a doubt the memory could explain the issue, But I promise that when I have more times, I will test each memory stick.

Why this only happens with my line6  Gear, And I have never met the issue when my Line6 UX8 is disconnected whatever I do (games, application with a lot of memory usage...)...

But I will test...

by Gmaj7 on 2009-04-09 11:36:36

Do you not get any error message when you get the BSOD

by TheRealZap on 2009-04-09 11:40:52

hope it works out for you

i've just found that alot of "flaky" hardware issues lead back to memory.

you can research the memory timings that are recommended for you memory and make adjustments in your bios as well...

alot of high performance parts tend to push the limits, which can affect stability.

good luck!

by euphoriaburn on 2009-04-09 12:38:17

I had the dropout issue so I sticked my X3L to the other USB of my Stupid Acer Laptop.

Increased the buffer and guess what, an hour and half no drop out playback and playing nothing wrong for now.

That your computer its the last release by ASUS mainboards its great. But you have to know that the new releases are filled with bugs and errors.

I recommending  you to update your bios and drivers with the last released from ASUS official website, this could do the trick and try to stick it to the other USB controller.

Also does your computer have an odd behavior?

I have to  notice that the USB dropout its only for X3L!

--

by purpleclouds on 2009-04-09 13:19:41

Here a picture to proove that The Line6 drivers is responsible of the issue:

dump2.jpg

This is the dump file generated when the BSOD happens!

by euphoriaburn on 2009-04-09 13:19:46

ops I taking my words back for the dropout. after about 2 hours of playng i got one.

what if I increase the buffer more then now?

by JCJCJC on 2009-04-17 17:06:04

It has come to our attention that some POD X3 Live units exhibit audio drop outs when streaming audio while connected via USB.  Line 6 has investigated the issue, discovered the root cause and released a verified hardware fix.

The USB audio drop out issue has a very specific symptom: audio output while recording or streaming abruptly stops and will not return while your X3 Live is connected to your computer via USB.

IMPORTANT: This issue has been seen in some POD X3 Live units only.

It does not affect all POD X3 Live units or any POD X3 or POD X3 Pro units. 

If you are experiencing the USB audio drop out issue and live in the U.S., we can help you in one of two ways:

·         You can call us at 818-575-3600 M-F 8a-5p west coast time and arrange to send the unit to Line 6 for warranty repair

·         You can visit http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";"> to locate your nearest service center and arrange a warranty repair. You will need to furnish the service center with a copy of your proof of purchase for this repair to be made under warranty.

Please keep in mind that sending your unit into Line 6 or bringing it to a local service center for this fix will mean you will be without your POD X3 Live for at least two weeks, depending upon the turn-around time of the shop - so plan accordingly.

If you live outside of the U.S. please contact your local distributor, also found on our service centers page, for warranty repair information.

by urchinvp on 2009-04-17 17:36:50

I am at peace. May be now my finger nails will grow back!?!

Big, big thanks to those that deserve it (especially ClassicalDad and Johnnymosh for bringing calm in a storm) and LINE 6 for finally taking it on the chin, get it right in future guys, thanks!

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-04-17 18:13:16

It was brought to L6s attention over a year ago.

Mine has been at a sevice center for about 45 days now...Vancouver Canada. Long and Mquade.........

I hope it all works when I get it back....tierd of waising my time with this unit.

by Bizoner on 2009-04-18 06:13:58

Finally, thanks for all line 6 tech's

im a little dissapointed cause its a hardware fix, and i dont think thats its possible to send it for a fix.

i bought it, second handed from japan, haha i wondered why the guy sold it anyway, no i know, and i live in israel.

is it possible sending it throw the local distubrtor although i bought it from japan ?

and is there a way to check if the warranty hasnt expired ?

by ivoduraes87 on 2009-04-20 15:37:25

'm connecting my line6 POD X3 Live by USB on a laptop with Windows Vista, i've installed all the updates that were needed (except GearBox) and many times the sound is cut off, per example, when i'm doing a drumtrack (acoustica beatcraft) the sound often cuts off, leaving only the sound of my guitar, i have to turn off and on the x3 to get the sound back, but it just cuts off again and again...

i realize now that the problem is called USB dropout...

by Bishopbigans on 2009-05-13 10:26:14

The link to the support center is broken....hmmm.  This is a factory defect. If line6 wants to prove it's loyalty to it's customers, they should fix all of them, regardless of when they were purchased. It should be treated like a recall on a car. My x3live works fine with my desktop, but does not work with my laptop. (as an audio interface)

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-13 11:02:02

they will fix it outside of the warranty... i just got mine back fixed. warranty ended a year ago or so...

contact the service center near you for details:

http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/

by euphoriaburn on 2009-05-13 11:06:32

The question is, who will pay the shipping taxes?

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-13 11:13:21

there is no question... you pay to ship it to them... they pay to ship it to you...

by euphoriaburn on 2009-05-13 12:22:34

really thats great,

thank you

by elliot1984 on 2009-05-22 03:00:51

My line 6 cuts out all the time on usb, they all do dont they???? i bought mine a year ago i think its just gone out of warranty, i think its disgusting though how this was promised to be fixed so long ago and still its half a product!!!! i use live streams to play along to (aka backing tracks) or my own music running from guitar pro, and all of a sudden... crack... shes gone! only me playing guitar! if trading standards give you any important infomation let me know, as line6 have been shabby at best on this point!!! wheres the communication?????? its not exactly a chedap peice of hardware either. Until its sorted i will not buy another piece of half baked line 6 hardware again.

Elliot

by euphoriaburn on 2009-05-22 03:40:38

Yes most  of them do. You have to know that even if your X3L is out of warranty, they will fix it for free!!!

by derwalkerhaus on 2009-05-22 08:42:26

Really! Do you have a link to verify that? I also have one out of warranty and would like it fixed but have a hard time trying to deal with not having it while it's out for repairs.

JOn

by mikey1 on 2009-05-22 09:21:00

Ooops! Looks like it did help......

It has come to our attention that some POD X3 Live units exhibit audio drop outs when streaming audio while connected via USB.  Line 6 has investigated the issue, discovered the root cause and released a verified hardware fix.

The USB audio drop out issue has a very specific symptom: audio output while recording or streaming abruptly stops and will not return while your X3 Live is connected to your computer via USB.

IMPORTANT: This issue has been seen in some POD X3 Live units only.

It does not affect all POD X3 Live units or any POD X3 or POD X3 Pro units. 

If you are experiencing the USB audio drop out issue and live in the U.S., we can help you in one of two ways:

·         You can call us at 818-575-3600 M-F 8a-5p west coast time and arrange to send the unit to Line 6 for warranty repair

·         You can visit http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: ";"> to locate your nearest service center and arrange a warranty repair. You will need to furnish the service center with a copy of your proof of purchase for this repair to be made under warranty.

Please keep in mind that sending your unit into Line 6 or bringing it to a local service center for this fix will mean you will be without your POD X3 Live for at least two weeks, depending upon the turn-around time of the shop - so plan accordingly.

If you live outside of the U.S. please contact your local distributor, also found on our service centers page, for warranty repair information.

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-22 10:15:01

don't know that there is an official link, but they have been saying all along that they would honor the fix post warranty...

and i can 100% verify that they did...

sent mine off and got it fixed the week they announced that the fix was available...

have gotten it back and it's working great.

you can always call your local service center and ask them to verify

http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/

orsetup a ticket with support here, by opening your own thread and mark it as a question and they will respond.

by derwalkerhaus on 2009-05-22 10:23:35

I just got off the phone with a Line 6 tech. They were very nice about the issue of my out of warranty X3L and directed me how to take care of it. Best bet if you have any questions is just to give them a call.

Jon

by gold-smith on 2009-05-31 22:02:43

I'm brand new here and trying to decide between the X3 Live and the GT-10.  Wondering if I buy a X3 Live, are the new units being shipped with this problem fixed or is a crap shoot still and you won't know til you buy it.

Thanks!

Mark

by TheRealZap on 2009-06-01 06:00:53

we have been informed by the Line6 techs here that the fix has been rolled into production... meaning the new ones are fixed...

however... they have not stated the serial number range with the fix, and there is no way of telling if you are gettting a factory fresh unit or one that has been on a shelf at the dealer... so it's kind of still a game of luck... with the exception that you are guaranteed that you can get it fixed... which wasn't a given when i got mine! you should do a forum search on the gt-10, there are some real objective comparisons here.

by steeeeeeeeeevo on 2009-06-01 16:55:50

My x3l is been at a service center in canada since march. apparently waiting for parts.

The store is going to give me a loaner x3l cause its taking so long.

I would try the M13 if you have a amp, Boss make a lot of great stuff aswell.

If you need the amp modeling then get the X3L or even better X3pro and foot controller.

I would pay for a 2 year extendeded warrenty if I had to do it all over again.

by guto_variantz on 2009-08-26 12:49:54

My POD X3 Live has this problem... 

ANYONE HERE SUBMIT THE X3L TO LINE6 AND RECEIVE THE X3L FIXED???

I´m from Brazil and I don´t know if LINE6 will help ....

Where is the Petition link to sign in ??

by MarkSSwanson on 2009-08-26 14:19:53

I had mine fixed back in early May and it's worked flawlessly ever since.  It was fixed for free even though it was out of warranty.

by euphoriaburn on 2009-08-26 15:09:48

You dont need warranty, to get it fixed!!!

by lair1978 on 2011-11-26 12:03:11

Mine cuts out all the fucking time I think it's a joke I pay alot of money for a pedal I can use through USB for recording/Producing and end up with it cutting in and out all the time... Isn't this against the law after all the manual says it can do something when in actual fact it cant

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-28 08:46:23

lair1978 wrote:

Mine cuts out all the ******* time I think it's a joke I pay alot of money for a pedal I can use through USB for recording/Producing and end up with it cutting in and out all the time... Isn't this against the law after all the manual says it can do something when in actual fact it cant

Well, this is an extremely old thread.  Line 6 recognised the USB drop-out as an issue for a number of users - by no means all users - and offered a free fix for it.  I believe this offer is still in force.  You need to contact Line 6 calmly and enquire if it is still offered and find out what you need to do to get the issue resolved.  I would advise that you start a new thread marked as a question so that Line 6 Customer Support's system flags it for attention.  Give them around 48 hours or so to respond or call them on the phone if you are in the US or UK. 

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.