These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Applying Alt Tunings
by traphillman on 2010-03-14 06:05:39

I have used Workbench to load an alt tuning (1 full step down) to all the models in my Variax 600.  When I open a model in Workbench the editor for each model shows the tuning set to 1 step down.  But when I play the guitar it sounds in normal tuning.  What am I missing?

Do alt tunings only work on the Custom I and II models?

Do I have to go into my Pod xt Live and do something to get them to take effect?  I want the alt tuning to apply to all models in all amps if possible.

Thank you for your time and advice.  Scott

Re: Applying Alt Tunings
by traphillman on 2010-03-14 08:34:56

I got it!  This morning I reflashed the guitar (yesterday I had reflashed my Pod xt live), saving the models already loaded yesterday.  I saved them because they were showing the alt tuning set up when I loaded them in the editor but the sound changes were not being applied to the guitar.

On the guitar I selected the Custom I position on the knob.  Then went to the editor.  The first model was in the edit window with the alt tuning reflected at the bottom of the edit window.  I pressed Enable.  I made sure to wait for the change to be loaded and for the yellow exclamation mark to appear above beside the first model button.  Then I selected the button near the top of the Edit window for the second model and repeated the Enable step for each model in the Custom 1 group.  That enabled the alt tuning for the Custom 1 models.  When I had changed all five models in the Custom I group I went to the tone locker and hit the sync button at the bottom.  All five models were saved to the guitar in about 15 seconds.  I sync'ed them one group at a time (e.g., Custom 1, T-Model, etc.) because I had had problems yesterday with some attempted updating timing out before all the changes were made.

I did the same with each of the other model groups, syncing one at a time to the guitar.

What a relief.  I have been working on Workbench and connection problems for three days.  One of the main reasons I bought the Variax was the alt tuning function, since all 550 pieces of music I play are written down a full step and it just makes everything easier.

If anyone else is having similar problems I would be happy to try to help.  Thanks, Scott

Re: Applying Alt Tunings
by traphillman on 2010-03-14 08:36:36

Yes, I answered my own question. I just stumbled on the right sequence to do things after two days of failed attempts! I'm must getting too old for this 'lectric stuff! Scott

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.