These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

What Line 6 interface to record 3 or 4 sources simultaneously?
by gitarzysta on 2010-03-29 04:28:08

Hello,

What Line 6 audio interface will suite the following scenario?

What to record:

1. Acoustics guitar (via mic or direct)

2. Electric guitar (direct)

3. One or maximum two mics (dynamic ones are ok)

How:

1. GarageBand or Logic as DAW (Mac OS X)

2. POD Farm as the main modeling software

3. The above 3 or 4 sources are to be recorded simultaneously to separate tracks into my DAW software - the DAW will act as a mixer here

I own TonePort UX1 and can record one guitar and one mic at a time.

Which of Line 6 interfaces should I upgrade to?

I invested some $ into model packs so I'd like to stick to Line 6, otherwise I could go for other brands with FireWire connection or i-series Mackie mixers.

Without access to any other Line 6 hardware (UX2, UX8 etc) I cannot try for myself so your input will be appreciated

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Gitarzysta

Re: What Line 6 interface to record 3 or 4 sources simultaneously?
by dscheidt on 2010-03-29 06:10:28

The only Line 6 Audio interface that supports more than 2 devices is the Toneport UX 8.  It's a great device.  About the only issue that I can see on it is that if you want to turn on the phantom power, it goes to 4 channels, not just the channel that you want.  Line 6 has been pretty good about updating their drivers.

The real nice thing is that the platinum POD Farm is included as part of the unit, so you don't have to transfer your model packs from your other hardware to use them

by gitarzysta on 2010-03-29 09:39:02

Thanks for your answer.

How does UX8 keep up with 8 channels at the same time? It uses USB interface that is said to be slower and more demanding than FireWire (and indeed, when you look at the competition they all use IEEE-1394).

Thanks

by dscheidt on 2010-03-29 11:14:59

Yes, the UX 8 is true USB 2.0, so it can certainly handle the load.

I love the USB / Firewire arugments...  USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough for 8-in / 8-out.  Firewire 400 is 400 megabits per second, USB 2.0 is 480 megabits per second.  In fact, most of the audio interfaces seem to be moving from Firewire TO USB.  I've owned both Firewire and USB audio interfaces, so far, the UX 8 is my favorite.  One good thing about USB is that it seems less delicate than the Firewire audio interfaces.  It's almost a given that you need a TI (Texas Instruments) Firewire chipset to get rid of any of the issues with the Firewire interfaces.  I've never seen issues like that with USB.  YMMV.

Are you looking to use a Mac or a PC?  I've only really worked with the Mac side of the the UX 8, not sure how much trouble the PC side is.

by gitarzysta on 2010-03-29 12:47:19

I'm on Mac.

And thanks again for your prompt feedback, cheers!

Gitarzysta

by dscheidt on 2010-03-29 13:32:05

Cool!  I had a couple of initial issues with my UX 8, but they were solved pretty quickly with a couple of driver updates and the firmware update.  Once those were solved, I've been VERY happy with the unit.  I don't do much multi tracking, about the most is doing 3 mics on a single guitar, but it's been very stable with Garageband and Logic.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.