These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Can't remove VDI cable from Variax 600..
by illich on 2010-04-06 01:52:56

Hi!

I have a problem with my recently bought Variax 600 guitar. I can't remove the VDI-Cable from the guitar. I push the small silver 'button' down and pull the cable but it won't move a bit. Usually I know how to handle cables well, XLR, LAN.. no  problem. But this combination drives me mad. The guitar is new, and nothing else seems wrong. I plugged the VDI cable in there once and since then couln't get it out.

Is there anything special I need to do?

I hope you can help me, the next service center is 400 km away.

cheers,

Bernhard

Re: Can't remove VDI cable from Variax 600..
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-04-06 04:35:47

Hi

Was this a genuine Line 6 cable or from somewhere else?  It's important because with a proper Line 6 cable which is essentially a computer Ethernet (network) cable the normal plastic spring clips on each of the RJ-45 plugs inside the metal Neutrik housing should be held depressed by the Neutrik casing to avoid exactly the problem you have.  The only thing that should hold the VDI cable in place when it's attached to your guitar is the Neutrik housing which should engage in the socket surround on the guitar.   I often refer to the little spring clip on the RJ-45 plug as a 'nadger' so that's what I'll call them here too.

Take a look at the other end of the VDI cable that is free to see how it is assembled and to to see the little spring plastic nadger on the RJ-45 plug itself to get an idea of how you need to approach removing the stuck plug.

I would guess that either the nadger has been allowed to spring out as it would in a normal network interface, or that it has been snapped off and left a little bit of plastic which has caught itself on part of the socket, thereby preventing easy removal.   If this is the case you need to proceed carefully so as not to damage the guitar.

I don't know if the following procedure will work for you, but you will need a torch or a good light source so you can see what you are doing, a pair of thin long nosed pliers and a thin flat bladed screwdriver.

Unscrew the blackplastic cap on the top of the Neutrik plug casing and slide it up the cable so it's out of the way.  In theory the RJ-45 plug witth the cable attached should simply slide free, but I suspect the nadger is what's caught.

With care and the long nosed pliers or tweezers pull the the self tightening cable grip out of the casing and slide it up the cable a little.   This in istelf should release tension on the RJ-45 plug which is stuck in your guitar and by pushing the cable into the guitar slightly you may be able to free the Neutrik plug casing by the normal method of pressing the release button on the guitar socket.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to employ the thin flat baled screwdriver to reach inside the plug if you can to depress what remains of the nadger and slide the plug free - this might be easier said than done

Failing that, you have two choices: take the guitar apart and remove the socket assembly from the guitar completely to get better access to the stuck plug and to perhaps free it, or take the whole lot to an authorised repair centre.  This isn't the first time that a VDI lead has got stuck in a guitar, so Line 6 probably have a method of getting VDI leads unstuck.

Once the plug is free, you probably need to get the existing RJ-45 plug removed and then replaced with a new one.  It requires a special crimping tool and knowledge of how Ethernet cables are wired, but it's a fairly simple process and any computer repair person should be able to put a new end on your cable for you, if you explain that it is a special cable but wired exactly the same as a normal straight Ethernet cable (not a crossover cable).

Nick

by david1_leslie on 2010-04-06 05:21:49

Heres a link to some detailed instructions on how to get the cable out unfortunately this seems to be a fairly common problem

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1704

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-04-06 05:39:32

Thanks.  Yes - pretty much as I suggested. I physically took my own Line 6 VDI cable apart to ensure I was on the right track with my suggestion

by illich on 2010-04-06 08:36:42

Thank you both very much!

I already thought it might be  something like this but wanted to be sure before I start deconstructing the whole thing..

this isn't a great start for my first contact with line6, but I hope it will work out.

at least the forum seems really nice and helpful, thanks again!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-04-06 11:24:50

I hope it works out for you.  Good luck

by amx05462 on 2010-04-06 13:41:53

if nothing else  works  this is  what to do   its  from the  old forum   see attatched   documents

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.