These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Horrible digital clipping/distortion on clean sounds
by RTLdan on 2010-04-06 09:43:28

Hello,

I recently aquired a POD XT Live. I've updated all firmware/drivers to the most current versions.

My problem is this: The clean preset patches have a horrible digital clipping or distortion going on.

I figured out that when the mod, reverb, or delay effects were in Post mode, it would cause this.

If I switch them all to Pre mode, then they sound clean, but since the signal chain is then altered there is a difference in tone.

The thing that baffles me is that most of the preset patches come with those effects in Post mode

causing this clipping/distortion sound. That would require me to go through every patch and change from Post to Pre.

I feel like I must be missing something!! They wouldn't have a clean preset that distorts.

Other important info:

* I'm not seeing a "clip" light/message come on so I don't know if it's actually clipping, that's just what it sounds like to my ears.

* I have checked channel volume, and drive settings which are all in a normal range.

* I have checked the output volume pot. This sound occurs at all output volumes.

* I am using a Gibson Les Paul Studio, which I understand has a hot output. I have tried with the pad both on and off. No difference.

* I am using a set of Sennheiser headphones. No distortion when listening to other stuff.

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

If it's necessary I can record a clip of the sound.

Thank you!

-Daniel

Re: Horrible digital clipping/distortion on clean sounds
by Triryche on 2010-04-06 11:24:45

Most likely digital clipping.

Turn down the channel volume on the Pod.

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see you tried the chan vol

by Triryche on 2010-04-06 16:23:34

After ruling out the guitar or chord (long-shot).

You may need to try a reset/reflash, (I've never done this yet, so you might wait for an official Line6 tech to comment)

Make sure you back up all your patches first!!!

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3827

GoodLuck!!

by RTLdan on 2010-04-06 16:37:42

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

I should have added in my first post that I've flashed the firmware too.

Now the guitar cable...that is something I will definitely try tonight when I get home.

It's a monster cable so it should be ok, but it wouldn't be the first one that had weird tone

problems. I had an XLR cable hooked up to a PA once that was only sending low frequencies.

I thought my speaker was toast, but replacing the cable brought it back to normal.

I hope it is something simple like that.

I obviously listened to the pedal before I bought it, but I was using someone elses guitar, cable, and headphones.

I don't remember hearing this distortion/clipping, but then again, there are some pretty fuzzy

sounds and I was just making sure the thing played. I could have missed the clipping the first time.

Or maybe it wasn't there.

Thanks again and I'll keep you updated when I've tried a different cable.

If the sound is still messed up I will upload a sound clip.

-Daniel

by RTLdan on 2010-04-06 22:13:23

Well, I came home tonight and tried a new guitar cable.No such luck.

Switched guitars. Same sounds.

Finally I noticed in Monkey that I could rollback to the 2.04 drivers (I think that was the number.)

I did that and voila! The problem was fixed. Next I tried flashing the most updated drivers again.

This time everything is working as it should!!

I can't tell you how relieved I am!

Thanks for you help Triryche! I'm awarding you my correct answer points because you

were the first (and only) person to jump in and actually try to get this resolved.

Thanks!

-Daniel

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.