These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve MKII HD100-Getting a pop sound when switching presets
by Stemlife79 on 2010-04-14 20:53:12

Everytime I switch presets I get a clicking sound. On the fbv as well as the buttons on the amp. I get no clean transition. Is it broken???

Re: Spider Valve MKII HD100-Getting a pop sound when switching presets
by rolisx on 2010-04-15 00:15:37

Hi,

I think this is because of low preset volumes (not master volume). when you set them higher, the popping will disappear

by metalhd77 on 2010-04-15 05:54:51

I had the same problem when I had the patch volumes set to about 25%.  Almost sounds like a .22 pistol going off!!  Set the patch volumes to at least 50% and it goes away.  I'm very unhappy with that because to get the tubes to saturate, you'd have to crank the master, and it's already crazy loud at like 30%.  I wish you could set the channel volumes to almost nothing and not get the pop!  Something Line 6 needs to fix!!

by Stemlife79 on 2010-04-15 07:16:39

IT DOES IT WITH THE PRESETS AND MY OWN PATCHES. I SET THE CHANNEL VOL ABOUT 55% AND ADJUST THE VOL WITH THE MASTER ABOUT I WOULD SAY 9 10 OCLOCKISH. MY POINT IS THAT ITS A BOGNER/LINE6 AMP. IT SHOULDNTSHOULDN'T POP. MY HD147 DOESNTDOESN'T POP AT ALL. IT EVEN POPS WHEN IM SWITCHING FROM THE AMP ITSELF ASIDE FROM THE FBV!

by rolisx on 2010-04-15 07:25:56

I'd rather go for 12 o'clockish with the channel-volume.. but as mentioned above, then, the master volume knob needs to be very low, which sucks!

We need another update! Now-ish!!!

by Stemlife79 on 2010-04-15 07:31:37

Either way u look at it it shouldnt pop at all... Im gonna have to drive all the way out there(simi valley) cuz theyre amps dont pop while mines does...U can hear the actual clicking from my FBV... Whats up with that??? Im no expert but I suspect maybe a grounding issue??? Why am i hearing this clicking sound???? If they cant fix it, its getting return. I thought the technology would be way more advanced than my HD147... Please respond line6!!!!!

by rolisx on 2010-04-15 07:49:04

you're absolutely right! the mkII have issues that shouldn't be there at all, especially after the update!! in a way the made the amp sound and function worse for the sake of more fx and downloadable presets... I've expected more quality!

by AndyParedes on 2010-04-16 14:47:28

Hello,

We are looking into this situation further.  I'll check back when I have more information.

by JeffHester on 2010-08-14 13:34:57

Was this problem addressed and corrected yet? I too am experiencing this same thing. Thanks for the help.

by zeartist on 2010-11-27 10:30:17

What flash version you guys have? I think on mine it's 1.50, I think I remember reading that the newer flash update (2+) is supposed to fix this.

Anyway I'll try this and will see... Though I have to admit this is not very impressive, there should be some "crossfade" between patch switching (put a super quick fade out on old patch and fade in on new patch), that's what I'd think...Or put an option to do this somewhere...

by bmcneil on 2010-12-13 17:32:50

I have 2.0 and it pops, unless the channel volume is say 12 o'clock or more.

by Stemlife79 on 2011-01-21 13:18:28

Well I solved the problem. Went with the PODHD... Hehe.

by allnatural on 2011-01-21 13:59:34

i have a similiar problem. but i have volume drop out/ quick gap when changing presets. when i change a preset during a song and i hit the switch on the down(one) the gap misses the first hit and comes in on the up(and) (one e and uh)

by RabbyLeth on 2011-03-04 11:30:25

I've been having the same problem with my valve 212. Has there been any update with this? I keep my channel volumes pretty low as I use this amp in a house and I don't want the neighbours to get disturbed. Setting the volumes to 50% or more as suggested would be pretty damn loud and the master volume seems unresponsive at really low setting (from zero to bloody loud in one millimetre turn).

Up to recently I have been just using the one channel at a time but now have bought a shortboard so as to change channels mid-song and this popping is really loud and makes the amp useless at low settings.

I'm running 2.0 on the amp.

by Colin2113 on 2011-09-21 15:58:53

I figured out how to fix the pop. Buy a POD HD500 and get rid of your spidervalve while you can still get some money for it.

by CustomOnGuitar on 2011-10-24 02:39:15

but this way is not a solution at all. there needs to be a update!

Obviously this bug is a common known one for about 1 year and a half.

If you use a pod hd 500 you can't have this valve sound....

by fredypi on 2011-11-03 08:28:52

and now? did you hear something from line6 to solve this problem?

my Spider Valve does this cracking too.

i can't use this amp live.

so i will give it back to the store........ sad, very sad.

by CustomOnGuitar on 2011-11-03 12:48:47

hey fredypi! yes i phoned the line6 support. the guy from the support hotline said that this is not a known bug. so he  told me to open a support ticket. after I did so they wanted some details. and they admitted that it is a known bug. they referred on the work around that some users figured out in the forums (channel volumes over 12 o'clock). this makes it better but not good enough, you know...

so they told me to write a message to the R&D Team of line 6 so that a update in the future can solve the problem.

Obviously I wasn't the first person who was advised to do so. (read the forums)

I really beg you - all people who got this problem to write a message to the r&d team. They admitted that it is necessarry that enough people complain about this problem at the r&d team. Just follow this link and write a message PELASE!!!

http://de.line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/?topic_id=3

We all know, that this amp sound great and offers a lot of convinience but we also know about this annoying bug - so please take some minutes and make a polite complaint, I beg you!

by johnolsen on 2011-11-04 09:12:19

You also want to make sure you are plugging all your gear into a grounded outlet- in my experience, more often than not any loud "pops" when switching channels, etc has little to do with the equipment itself but could be an ungrounded electrical outlet.  Purchasing a good, grounded surge protector solved it for me.  Also you want to doublecheck your cables and connections from time to time to make sure they are not getting bent or frayed.

by Kyle21B on 2011-11-05 14:49:29

I just sent mine.  Hopefully enough of us will and they'll start to pay attention

by CustomOnGuitar on 2011-11-06 01:52:29

I've already checked the cables and it does not make sense - at least in my eyes - that grouding should be the problem, because other valve amps on the same jack are not "popping".

by CustomOnGuitar on 2011-11-06 01:53:00

thanks for that, I hope we find enough people to make this Update Request!

by mekajinn on 2011-11-16 01:35:52

another 'assumed answered' when it clearly has not.

by Colin2113 on 2011-11-22 11:13:30

It is the solution! You simply trade in/sell your SVMKII and get yourself the PODHD500  and a DT25

It truly is the dream rig along with my sturdy Variax 300!

by JeffHester on 2011-11-23 10:48:25

Line6 has totally pissed me off about this known issue. Don't look for them to fix it because they won't. I called their tech support and they told me there was a known issue and to take it to a repair place. I did... drove 90 miles t the nearest authorized repair fascility. These people call Line6 and what do they say... There is no issue, it's just how the amp is. So the situation is... Line6 designed an amp that is unusable at low volume after their firmware upgrade. Line6 said that most 40 watt tube amps are very loud at one or two. I said BS... I have a Mesa Dual Rectifier 100 watt head that is still usable and sounds great at low volume.

Also.. Don't look to the POD HD500 with DT amps to fix the problem.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-27 03:42:59

Jeff - I understand where you're coming from, and i understand your frustration, but no BS... I have a Mesa Boogie MkIII Simulclass 1x12 combo which has a master volume control which is on a hair trigger and goes from very quiet to ultra loud in the space of just 1mm movement - and it's not the pot that's faulty - that's how the amp is.  It is possible to set it with a little care so that low volume playing is possible, and the same is true of the Spider Valve MkI, Spider Valve MkII, Spider III 150 and Spider IV amps that I own.  I set my channel volume to around 50% and I control my master volume from the Master Volume knob on the amp.  It is a little bit touchy on all those amps for sure, but it is most definitely manageable without too much trouble IME- and with the Channel Volume settings at around 50% I do not experience any popping when changing between presets.

Yes - there is a known issue with this, and yes perhaps Line 6 need to provide a solution, but at the moment there is no fix available except to set your Channel Volume (per preset) to about 50% and to manage the Master Volume, which again is most definitely do-able, and having used my Spider Valve MkII quite a lot at home at low level by managing the Master Volume setting fairly easily, I would have to disagree with your statement that the Spider Valve MkII is unusable at low volume.  I will say it is definitely not a smooth transition from no volume to about 15% on the dial, but it is nevertheless controllable IME - and not only with Line 6 amps, but others which have sensitive MV controls too.

The POD HD500/HD Pro and a DT-xx amp won't fix this problem as they are completely different in terms of architecture and design so they are different animals entirely to the Spider Valve MkII, but I do have an HD500, a DT-25 and a POD HD Pro as well as a DT-50 and they do provide a viable alternative to a Spider Valve MkII if someone wants to go down that road.  The DT-25 and DT-50 actually manage valve amp Negative Feedback Loop topology settings in real time which means switching HT level voltages around and if switching from an amp model on the POD that uses say a class A/B power amp to another amp model that uses a Class A power amp, you may get a pop, but for entirely different reasons to the pop in the Spider Valve MkII.  the DT-25 does seem much quieter in this respect to the DT-50.

Nick

by Colin2113 on 2011-12-02 10:49:40

IT WORKED !! The DT25 and POD HD 500 that is. They are miles ahead of the Spider Valves

by mtnman82 on 2011-12-09 07:27:00

I'm a long time Boogie guy.  I still have my MkII C simul-class 1x12 (w/EQ in imbuya wood and wicker grill) ordered new when I was in high school.  I also sold a MkIII for my MkIV.  The MkII & MkIII are useable live, but really tough to do so.  With the cascading gain setup, even the littlest tweak upsets everything balance-wise between the channels.  And yes the master volume is on a hair trigger, but this is a known 'issue', if you will, with these amps.  This was resolved with the MkIV and was a major selling (marketing) point for the MkIV.  This was THE reason I sold the MkIII for the MkIV and never looked back.  I will still use the MkII C when I play with my 20 piece big band or other horn type combo groups - in a situation where I'm not doing any channel switching.  I use the MkIV for the groups which require channel switching (actually settled on using the MkIV most of the time even with the big band, but the II C is truly in a class by itself sound-wise - not just saying that.  Those who have had a chance to really use them know and can tell you.  The 'juiciest' amp you will ever hear.  But I digress...).

Point here is that the earlier Boogies have the hair trigger volume due to the cascading gain setup.  This really IS the nature of the beast.  The Line 6 design has absolutely no excuse for such behavior on the MkII SV.  ESPECIALLY when you consider amp design and that this problem didn't exist on the MkI SV.

So they've known about this going on 2 years no with no resolution in sight, and a recent post (11/2011) states tech support claims to be unaware of any issue.  Pretty laughable really, in a very sad way.  Like I've said before, and to any potential new users out there reading this forum:  You buy this stuff and you're on your own if you have an issue.  Don't expect much, if anything at all, from Line 6 tech support.

by gmartin6 on 2012-06-19 14:20:44

ok, I  just acquired an hd100mkII v2.0 and think I have a possible workaround for this...if you're not using the volume pedal on the presets, you can set min and max to a low amount (i set mine to 10 on each to basically disengage the volume pedal). With this, I'm able to set my channel volumes to 12 o'clock+  AND set the Master volume to 12 o'clock as well to push the poweramp tubes keeping all at manageable volume levels.It seems to be working and I'm not getting the popping sound anymore.

by JeffHester on 2012-06-19 14:35:43

I fixed it with one of these... http://carlscustomguitars.com/The-Original-Volume-Box-Guitar-Amp-Attenuator-Volume-Box.htm">http://carlscustomguitars.com/The-Original-Volume-Box-Guitar-Amp-Attenuator-Volume-Box.htm">http://carlscustomguitars.com/The-Original-Volume-Box-Guitar-Amp-Attenuator-Volume-Box.htm

The amp actually sounds better than it did with this cheap little thing in the effects loop. Not using the volume pedal just wasn't an option.

by mtnman82 on 2012-06-19 17:23:41

The volume attenuator boxes are pretty simple, nifty units.  They do change the tone of the amp though, not just the volume.  For $20 it's worth trying (I did)...

by geppert on 2012-06-23 14:45:08

Hey Mtnman82 .... I just checked out that Volume Attenuator you mentioned ..... so ..... how did it work for you ???? I was thinking of trying it out.

by mtnman82 on 2012-07-02 20:40:52

Actually JeffHester mentioned the volume attenuator, but yes I have one and have used it.  I'm not that keen on it because it does effect the tone, much like the volume knob on your guitar effects the tone.  But I'm really sensitive to that stuff.  For $20 you should try one out and see if it's what you've been looking for (no affiliation BTW)...

by Colin2113 on 2012-07-13 19:31:56

Well now it's the DT25 and the HD PRO

by Colin2113 on 2012-07-13 19:33:41

I feel your pain I went through the same stuff. I eneded up selling my SVMKII less than 6 months old and luckily the DT-25 came out around that time.

I agree buying a new amp is not a fix.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.