These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Standalone Pod Farm 2 Midi Learn Problems
by hwhalen on 2010-04-20 14:01:04

This is very frustrating.

PF2 midi control is working. CC7 Volume control etc...

Everything that's already there, but Midi Learn writes an entry that doesn't specify the CC #.

I'm using a DigiTech MC2 which allows me to choose the midi channel (1-16) and the CC #(0-15).

Here is a picture of PF2 before i perform the midi learn.

pf2-before.GIF

After I perform the midi learn, you can see the new entry without the CC event number.

Why does PF2 not get the CC#? It knows that the controller was moved!

pf2-after.GIF

RE: Standalone Pod Farm 2 Midi Learn Problems
by Kneehow on 2010-04-21 11:55:20

Hi,

The only logical explanation would be that the particular "switch" or "button" you stepped on the DigiTech MC2 isn't transmitting a MIDI CC event.

The problem is, we can't really support their device. Please double check with the setup of that controller as per their operation manual and be certain that the switch/button/pedal (whatever it may be) that you're trying to get a parameter in POD Farm 2 to "learn" to is truly sending a MIDI CC message number. There are other types of MIDI data besides MIDI CC's: there are note on/off, Program Change, MIDI Machine Control and even "Mackie" control messages.

Perhaps the MC2 is transmitting one of those types of messages. If so, POD Farm 2 will indicate a non-MIDI CC data value for the action you initiated.

The answer exists in the setup and operability of your MC2 unit. Please inquire DigiTech for further support on their device if you have questions about using that unit.

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: Standalone Pod Farm 2 Midi Learn Problems
by hwhalen on 2010-04-21 13:00:33

Sorry Line6Perry, but answers like this are not helpful.

I've been using midi devices since the 80's, so I'm somewhat informed about midi.

I can monitor all the midi messages being sent from my unit with MidiOx if any of what you've mentioned might be the problem.

I tried using my Yamaha KX8 keyboard rather than the MC2.

I tried an expression pedal with my UX8 as the midi device.

Midi learn not working.

I did use my Roland GR1 to change patches.

I did control the CC#7 using the MC2 as a volume pedal.

I did control volume from my KX8.

My MC2 is working fine. My KX8 is fine. My GR1 is fine. All my midi equipment is working fine.

Two days ago I was actually using the Midi learn feature.

Yesterday it stopped working. I sent the two images to show what happens when midi learning.

I forgot to mention that the selected control image on the PF2 screen did not move.

Today I unselected all the midi devices and respecified the midi interface to use.

Voila midi learn once again works.

I believe that there may be a side effect in the PF2 midi learn feature when many midi input devices are available and active.

After several attempts at enabling and disabling various midi inputs, the midi learn began responding again.

Hopefully I'll be able to reset PF2 if this problem happens again.

by Kneehow on 2010-04-21 17:33:45

Hi,

I did my best to offer an educated guess as to what you were experiencing based on the very limited amount of information you originally provided. Sorry that my first answer to you didn't seem helpful to you, but I tried my best based on what you wrote.

I had no idea that your experience with MIDI devices were as extensive as you clarified. Also, now that you've provided more information what you've experienced makes more sense.

Glad to hear that the function works again. Just hope that you realize that trying to answer questions online is harder to do when we can't see or know what has or hasn't been done on the user's end yet. We do try our best, though. Hope you're enjoying the program.

Regards,

L6Perry

by hwhalen on 2010-04-21 20:43:00

Thanx Line6Perry.

I agree it can be very difficult if not impossible to debug problems this way.

I looked everywhere on the Line6 site to find a phone number to call for support.

No such thing?

RE: Standalone Pod Farm 2 Midi Learn Problems
by Kneehow on 2010-04-22 07:53:36

Hi,

Our support number is in the "Contact Us" section (the link is down at the bottom of this page). 818-575-3600 (8AM-5PM, Pacific Standard Time: Monday-Fridays).

Regards,

L6Perry

by hwhalen on 2010-04-22 10:24:38

Thanx again.

Must be like snow blindness!

by pike67 on 2010-05-23 17:03:29

Hi

I just had the same.

hwhalen wrote

> Today I unselected all the midi devices and respecified the midi interface to use.

> Voila midi learn once again works.

same here. i just cut all the crap from preferences/midi and specified

what i wanted to use as an input, and it worked.

so here's a 1000 words:

fp-prefs-midi.png

^^^ unchecking everything but the toneport fixed it.

thanks for the tip !

*-pike

Re: Standalone Pod Farm 2 Midi Learn Problems
by GJBurnham on 2012-12-29 23:10:22

Here is what is really happening. I realize this is an old post but I just ran in to this my self. And line6 support staff should know about this. don't apologize to them. They're always worthless. Anyway, The midi learn function in pod farm 2 is badly designed. it works fine with USB midi but if you have any real midi pin connectors plugged in and turned on in PF2 it will register a midi message with no cc like in the picture above, even if the pin connector is plugged into a usb midi interface. This is because real midi connections send a constant signal that the computer listens to waiting for a cc or note message. PF2 hears this blank signal and registers it as the intended message. If you watch the screen printed above as you are attempting to assign a midi control you can see this happen. PF2 does not wait for you to move a knob or button, it assigns the blank message almost instantly. The solution to this is in two parts.1, turn off any real midi ports in the PF2 preferences before trying to learn ay midi commands. the second part aplies to anyone using a midi controller that has no usb and can only work trough a pin connector, in my case the Roland fc300. Notice earlier I said that the blank midi message is assigned "almost instantly" What you have to do to assign  a controller like this is click on midi learn, and as quickly as you can move the control you wish to assign. Note, don't try to do these two actions simultaneously. the two actions must fast but separate and distinct. less than half a second between them. This will not work every time, you will have to experiment with the timing, and clear the blank message and start again when it misses. This is imperfect and kind of a pain but it will work. Hope this helps the next guy who runs into this. Oh and Line 6, please fix this.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.