These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Problem of constant hum from POD x3 live
by hyphen82 on 2010-04-30 13:27:16

I have some audio drop out issues once in a while when connected to my macbook,

whenever I have the problems, I just restarted the pod x3, and it works again.

So I didn't regard it as a big issue.

However, when I was using PODx3 live tonight,

all in a sudden,

it started to generate a loud and constant hum,

I can hear the hum from the speakers (live out) and from the headphone.

When I turned off the power, it generates a "Ziiiiip" sound that I've never heard before.

I turned up the master volume, the hum doesn't get louder,

and when I turned the master volume all the way down,

the hum was still there, same volume level.

I have the latest firmware and flash memory and drivers,

I unplugged the USB cable,

and I even use my other 2 line 6 adapters (I have a m9 and a DL4),

the condition is still the same.

Is that a grounding problem or what?

Please help me,

I need to have the device get back to work ASAP.

Do I have to repair it?

If I do need to repair it,

It brings another issue,

I bought it in USA, but I am in Taiwan right now.

Please tell me what to do.

Thanks.

Re: Problem of constant hum from POD x3 live
by timowens on 2010-04-30 21:07:00

It does sound like a ground loop. This is quite common when connecting the POD to your computer and an amp at the same time. If you have a laptop you can try unplugging the AC power to the laptop and running it off the battery, if the hum stops then it is a ground loop. To fix this problem you need to isolate the ground at some point in the circuit. I have had success using a direct box that has a ground lift between the POD and my amp, I have also had success using the Ebtech Hum-X on my amp, it is a bit spendy but it does work. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/?gclid=CNXSt6OHsKECFQxLbQodlAw3AA

class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">

BTW, this problem is not unique to the POD, I have also had this problem with the Boss GT-10 (but not nearly as bad) and the Digitech RP1000.

by
gcom007 on 2010-09-10 19:29:05

I am now having this exact same problem but with a Pod XT. As if I haven't had enough problems with this thing. I've got it with everything down to the "zip" sound on shutdown. Flashed firmware in normal and safe mode. Absolutely not a cable issue. Loud hum heard from headphone jack. No hum but no usable output from left and right jacks no matter what output mode I select. If I turn an amp WAY up and strum a guitar, you can hear a very, very faint distorted guitar sound. The tuner will tune the guitar fine though.

I haven't wanted or needed to use this thing outside of a "dongle" for the PodFarm plug-in in ages. Figures that the first time I'd want to use it again live (a desperation act after one of my gig amps fritzed out) I'd have a problem, seeing as I've had nothing but problems since buying this thing around 8 years ago. This thing has been nothing short of a nightmare.

by alphahot1 on 2011-04-06 17:08:07

I have the exact same problem. It couldnt be a ground loop because I'm connected guitar --> pod --> amp. The pod has no ground pin so there is no ground loop.

What I'm supposed to do apart thrashing the unit?

by timowens on 2011-04-06 18:12:28

alphahot1 wrote:

I have the exact same problem. It couldnt be a ground loop because I'm connected guitar --> pod --> amp. The pod has no ground pin so there is no ground loop.

What I'm supposed to do apart thrashing the unit?

Just to clarify, the scenario I was talking about is just like your setup that you described, but also connect the POD to your computer with the USB cable and that is where the ground loop occurs. If you are not using the USB connection then yours might be a different problem.

by alphahot1 on 2011-04-07 07:06:39

Yep, with usb connected the problem is worse... I suspect the unit has inhernetly a lot of floor noise, resolvable only with a hum eliminator.

by alphahot1 on 2011-04-08 10:03:46

Turned out to be a defective unite: if with a screwdriver I touch the output jack and a nut from the chassis the noise is gone.

Very delicate hardware from line6... the unit had 2 years.

by aaronsoots on 2011-07-16 08:28:21

So I am now experiencing this issue!!!! Ahh! Line 6 why did you put out such an awesome sounding unit that has such a fragile innards!

What was the "fix" or outcome from your ventures??? The issue I am having is that with or without ANYTHING connected it hums, if I just have the headphones plugged in and nothing else at all it hums. I put a HumX on there and it did nothing. Do not think it's a ground loop. Took it to my church, my parents house, my practice space, my house....all the same. I also get that ZZZIIIIIIPPPZZZ sound they others were discribing. I called a service center and of course are estatic about looking at it for me but want to see if you all had fixes or what all happened with the units.

What gets me is these new HD models are built more like the foot board that couples the old Flextones, which are much better... but it really has ruined my faith in this company. The marketing is so hyped and they are on there stating that the new units are designed for performance... what were these designed for??? I tell you my basement would be a lot more roomy if I didn't have to hang on to so many manufacurers' boxes, just build these things to last please, they aren't disposible items, lol.

by Maqu- on 2012-09-06 00:22:42

Hi and up this problem if it has not solved yet?

Does anybody get that hum/ziip problem solved? Here is the same problem now. X3 live

Line 6 do you know where this problem comes and do you have a solution for this? Wanna know before i pay anything or sent my unit to service to repair it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.