These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve MkII MIDI Out Problem
by ResAlien on 2010-04-30 19:02:57

Sorry for re-posting, but I didn't mark my first post as a question to alert L6 support, so here goes again....

So, here is what I am trying to setup:

Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro transmitting MIDI PCs to SV on MIDI Ch 1, and also transmitting MIDI PCs to M13 on MIDI Ch2, so that I can change SV patches and M13 Scenes with one footswitch from the GC Pro.

Here is how I have it setup:

GC Pro MIDI Out>>>SV MIDI In

SV MIDI Out>>>M13 MIDI In

SV MIDI Out is set to "Thru" in the SV's menu.

SV MIDI Channel is set to 1

M13 MIDI Channel is set to 2

This is how I think it should be setup to work, so that the SV will listen to the PCs sent by the GC Pro on Ch 1, and pass through the PCs sent by the GC Pro on Ch2 to the M13.

But it doesn't work.  When the SV MIDI Out is set to "Thru", the GC Pro will change the Scenes on the M13, but will not change the preset on the SV.

However, if I change the SV MIDI Out to "Out", the GC Pro will now change presets on the SV, BUT it will not change Scenes on the M13!!

Why does changing the SV MIDI Out setting between "Out" and "Thru" change whether the SV is listening to its MIDI In?

It's as if when the SV MIDI Out is set to "Thru", it stops listening to its MIDI In - the MIDI In only works if the MIDI Out is set to "Out", but of course when it is set to "Out" is does not pass through the other MIDI info from the GC Pro.

Is this the intended design of the SV (and if so, Why?), or is this a bug/problem with my head?

Thanks!

Re: Spider Valve MkII MIDI Out Problem
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-04-30 23:16:15

Hi

I can't say I know the answer to your exact issue with the Ground Control, but a MIDI Thru box which takes one MIDI input signal and sends it out through multiple outputs might work for you.  I bought one of the Anatek Pocket Thru boxes years ago for something or other and it's quite a handy tool.  Here's one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Anatek-MIDI-Thru-Box-/290428660560?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439ee5ab50 I don't think they're available new any more (could be wrong), but Philip Rees do make MIDI Thru boxes as I'm sure other manufacturers do (http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/thruunit.htm).  It would be a workaround, but should produce the right end result for you which is what ultimately matters.  Anatek also did a few other MIDI boxes such as the Pocket Pedal and Pocket Merge - they were great little boxes and inexpensive at the time too.

Nick

by harem_theater on 2010-05-01 00:04:01

I don't have the GC or an M13, but realising the SV's limitations, couldn't you just send MIDI to the M13 first and then thru to the SV. I suspect this could work unless of course the M13 has the same problem as the SV. Or as Nick said, just use a splitter.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-05-01 00:47:42

+1 - yes that might work too unless the M13 handles MIDI the same way as the SV

by ResAlien on 2010-05-01 06:50:16

Hey thanks guys.  Unfortunately, the M13's out is only an out - no option for a thru.  I ordered a MIDI SOlutions Thru box, which splits 1-to-2 like the box you mentioned.  Good for a workaround, but it really seems odd that the SV would be intentionally designed to work like this.  Why have a Thru option if I still have to buy an extra box to make this kind of setup work? 

by ResAlien on 2010-05-03 14:23:55

Bump.  Hoping someone from L6 can confirm whether this is the designed behavior (and why), or if there is a bug.

Thanks again,
Rick

RE: Spider Valve MkII MIDI Out Problem
by AndyParedes on 2010-05-04 17:11:15

Hello L6ers,

We were able to confirm this is a bug. Thanks for the heads up, we'll let the software engineering people know.

Thanks,

Andy

Re: RE: Spider Valve MkII MIDI Out Problem
by ResAlien on 2010-05-04 17:14:01

Thanks for the feedback Andy!  Good to know this is a bug and can be fixed.  For now, I'll just use the Thru box, but will be nice when an update comes around and I can wire it up the way it ought to be!

by paranormalpack on 2011-05-06 02:27:19

Hi.

I'm Max from Italy and I've bought a Spider Valve MKII HD100. I've also a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro connect to MIDI IN of Spider Valve MKII HD100 that doesn't work (no program change).

I've just read the discussion of an year ago about the bug problem of Spider Valve MKII HD100 MIDI OUT/THRU.

Have you solved the problem? There are special update to download?

Thanks!

by paranormalpack on 2011-05-06 09:15:44

PS. Now the problem is more serious.

By connecting directly to the Ground Control Pro to the Spider Valve MKII and setting the parameter = MIDI OUT (or even THRU) Program Changes sent from the Ground Control Pro are not recognized by the Spider Valve MKII.

Also, if I connect the Ground Control Pro to a POD X3 Live and then the POD X3 Live to the Spider Valve MKII (GCP MIDI OUT>>> PODX3 MIDI IN>>>PODX3MID OUT>>> SPIDERVALVE MIDI IN), the program changes sent from the Ground Control Pro is correctly read both POD X3 LIVE and Spider Valve MKII.

Is it a miracle or a Spider Valve MKII bug?

Thanks!

MAX

by mekajinn on 2013-02-07 23:14:59

nearly 3 years since this... any resolution?

Just trying it now.  How can it possibly be a 'bug' that when you switch it to MIDI thru that it ceases to receive MIDI?

MIDI thru means that the device receives and acts on the information received pertaining to itself, but passes on ALL MIDI information through the thru socket.  Why is this a bug?  How can it be a 'bug'??!

Man... what a crock... seriously... every time I try and get this bit of kit to do something it said it would on the tin, it turns out to be inadequate.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.