These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Distortion, clipping and cutting out with Toneport UX1
by dxdgenert on 2010-04-30 20:01:33

When using my UX1 I am experiencing distortion, clipping and cutting out of audio.  This occurs whether I am in POD Farm, listening through iTunes or system sounds.

I have all of the updated drivers 4.0.2.7 for the Toneport.

I am using an Alienware computer with AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 GHz CPU, 3.00 GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I have tried the generic "cookie-cutter" response that Line 6 gives out to no avail.

This unit is completely useless.  What should I do next?

Re: Distortion, clipping and cutting out with Toneport UX1
by dxdgenert on 2010-05-01 08:21:30

Uninstalled every piece of Line 6 software and reinstalled drivers via Monkey.  Still distorted.  Check all level to ensure that wasn't the issue.

This is a serious problem.  Tried to remove the Nvidia PowerMyzer software as well to no avail.

Offer some support Line 6 or I'll move to a competitor very quickly!

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-01 15:51:28

No help, Line 6?  Really?

So much for the "Support 24/7"...  This is a problem that seems to be very frequent with users of either Windows 7 and/or AMD processors.  The problem is, that instead of fixing the bug or helping customers with a workaround, Line 6 seems to spew generic, cookie cutter responses.  I understand my system is 4 years old but at the time was a $2500 Alienware desktop.  I don't really think it should be stymied by a cheap $50 USB interface.  All  want is some actual customer service, please!

Re: RE: Distortion, clipping and cutting out with Toneport UX1
by ricksox on 2010-05-03 14:50:02

Hello,

Cookie cutter or not I need to do my part and make sure you have tried the following. If you have, please download the attached doc, fill it out, and re-attach it to your reply in this thread. Thanks.

1. Fill out your support profile at http://line6.com/account/supportprofile/

2. Ensure that you have tested all cables to make sure that they are not defective (USB, audio, etc.)

3. Ensure that you have all cables connections set up properly

4. Adjust the Buffer Slider in the Line 6 Audio MIDI Control Panel. (Windows Users: Start/All Programs/Line6/Tools/Audio-MIDI Devices; Mac Users: System Preferences/Other/Audio-MIDI Devices)

5. Adjust Sample Rates and Bit Depths in the Line 6 Audio MIDI Control Panel and ensure that the Sample Rates and Bit Depth settings in the Line 6 Audio MIDI Control Panel also match the project settings in your DAW/recording application

6. Ensure that you have the Line 6 device set up in your operating system as the main input/output device (sound card); disable internal sound card in your operating system’s Device Manager control panel

7. Ensure that your Line 6 USB Device is not connected to a powered USB hub; direct USB ports are required and please try ALL available direct USB ports during the troubleshooting process

8. Remove all non-essential USB peripherals from the computer (not the mouse or keyboard)

9. Disable any wireless cards on computer in Device Manager

10. Set Power Schemes on computer in Control Panel (PC Only) to Always On

11. There are also several other tips and optimizations you can make on your PC. Please refer to the following document for more information:

http://line6.com/data/l/0a06007213339477ea0690cb2a/application/pdf/GearBox%203.5%20and%20later%20Windows%20XP%20&%20Vista%20Audio%20Tips%20&%20Optimizations%20(Rev%20A)%20-%20English.pdf

Line6Miller

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-03 16:50:25

Tried all of these options, as stated.  Please advise.

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-03 20:36:37

I am also running an Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT graphics card.

As I see things, I'm really in trouble because:

1) I'm running Windows 7, which seems to be problematic in and of itself

2) I have an AMD porcessor, which has been talked about as a problem on this forum

3) I have an Nvidia graphics card, which has been a problem

Line 6 needs to open a support ticket to help me out.  My system is a pretty decent one and should be more than capable of handling these tasks without a glitch.

RE: Distortion, clipping and cutting out with Toneport UX1
by ricksox on 2010-05-05 11:08:13

Hello,

You may want to try disabling the PowerMizer settings for your NVIDIA card. That's helped a few people so far. You can download a little application called Nv GPU Pro from http://www.nvgpupro.com/.

If that doesn't help let me know and we can get a ticket going for you and see if there is anything else we can do. Thanks.

Line6Miller

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-05 16:57:58

dxdgenert wrote:

...Tried to remove the Nvidia PowerMyzer software as well to no avail.

Seriously?

I hate to be a jerk but am I going to get help or am I going to have to sift through hours of complaints to sort this out myself?  I am going to lose my mind soon.

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-05 16:59:01

As stated in my earlier posts, I tried this last week.

by Kneehow on 2010-05-06 10:07:52

Hi,

We've created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue offline. Please respond to the ticket. Thank you...

A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

What is a Support Ticket?

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1422

Regards,

L6Perry

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-06 13:39:36

Thnak you for creating the ticket.  I will keep this thread updated on the progress as I am sure there are other Windows 7, AMD and Nvidia systems out there.

by ricksox on 2010-05-06 14:54:56

To be completely honest with you. This issue could be with our driver so it may be a while before it's fixed. I just don't want you to think you'll see a patch update in a week.

Line6Miller

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-06 17:01:52

Line6Miller wrote:

To be completely honest with you. This issue could be with our driver so it may be a while before it's fixed. I just don't want you to think you'll see a patch update in a week.

Line6Miller

Frankly, I was hoping sooner than a week.  Get this done ASAP, please, but know that I am not happy with this.  I have an absolutely worthless piece of your company's equipment here.  It is almost worth it to cut my losses and by an M-Audio, etc.

by Line6Hugo on 2010-05-07 12:44:29

All that can be done is to continue support through the support ticket that was opened for you.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by dxdgenert on 2010-05-07 18:36:33

Line6Hugo wrote:

All that can be done is to continue support through the support ticket that was opened for you.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

And I will for the time being.  I'm just not going to say "OK thanks for the help".  Your company has a product that doesn't work.  Unfortunately I am beyond the return period and your response is that it may take a long time.  How am I supposed to feel?  I am angry and belive that I am entitled to that feeling.

Furthermore, this is not an isolated incident.  Rare?  Maybe but certainly more so than Line 6 leads on.  The forums a riddled with Windows 7 issues.  Combine that with the AMD issues and Nvidia and I have a "perfect" storm.

If your company really cares about me as a customer then you would answer that you are "very sorry and work as fast as possible to resolve the issue".  If it can't be resolved I would hope that my unit would be exchanged for one that will work with my system.  That is customer service and other companies do exactly that.  I had just hoped that Line 6 will as well...

by Line6Hugo on 2010-05-11 15:46:50

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but we are diligently working to resolve issues that you and other customers are experiencing with any of our products. The support ticket is being reviewed by our test department for further investigation in the problem you describe.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by ferroaj on 2011-03-11 20:33:35

I'd like to state that I'm having a similar issue... the toneport is a great product, and that's why I spent 150 dollars on it, yet it's sitting in my room collecting dust because your DRIVERS are bad?!  are you KIDDING me?!  Something needs to be done here and quickly because if your car you just bought suddenly stopped working and the manufacturer told you "oh.  it could be the engine, so it might be a while" you would NOT be happy.

Just saying

by misza on 2011-03-21 03:09:49

Same thing here. I was using Toneport UX1 with a windows XP system and it was working fine, but I needed a new machine with more RAM and HDD space for DAW. Now i get cracking sounds every few seconds and therefore the device is USELESS for my recording and that was exactly what I bought it for. I tried all the tips and tricks for speeding my WIndows up, but they DO NOTHING. My system is pretty new and has more horsepower than I need, still Line6 claims I do something wrong. I never started a thread myself, becouse I see that it is hopless, couse ppl having same problem as mine get silly answers from Line6.

It's not my fault that Windows 7 is so popular right now, and it is not my fault that DAW + VSTi need a lot of RAM.

I think that Line6 lost it somewhere few years ago while inventing too many new stuff. They need to face facts:

-Windows 7 is preinstalled in majority of PC systems right now.

-64-bi Windows 7 is needed if you need 4GB of ram or more, and you DO NEED IT FOR DAW and VSTi.

-People need stable drivers and not some TIPS and TRICKS for speeding win7 up. Those tricks dont work.

by rockerbill on 2011-04-16 05:15:45

Guess what i have the same issue & yes it is a driver issue that line 6 need to get sorted, so at the moment line 6 do not have a working windows 7 driver.

by sodapop808 on 2011-04-16 08:29:04
Same here.

by Line6david on 2011-04-29 14:35:33

Hi,

Are you installing the latest drivers from our website?

http://line6.com/software/

Also, Try different USB ports and cables and make sure you are not connecting the device via a USB hub.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by jojodiver on 2012-02-06 06:47:37

I am replying just so I can keep track of this thread....same issiue. new pc./ intel core i7,/ 6G Ram/ Windows7  and version 4.2.5.1 installed and reinstalled several times.fresh cables and no HUB's...( I did try a powered HUB just to make sure it was not a power related problem thou..)

..I got the new computer last friday. before I was using a 10year old Dell laptop with windows xp (with only 1G ram..) and never had any problems.

I am very surpriced by all the people having this problem. windows7 isn't exactly new, it's been around for a few years, and I was hoping with the new computer to have many trouble free years ahead of me...if this is truly a software issiue, get it solved..

J

by misza on 2012-02-08 01:36:16

Hi jojodiver,

If you are using a laptop, try completely switching off the WiFi card for the time you use Toneport. It works for me, I get no static, yay!

by parkersvx90210 on 2012-02-09 20:34:33

I'm having this same problem as well, my audio keeps cutting out when using the UX1.  I've tried everything within reason, I saw another post where there were several video tutorials on how to optimize your recording, did most of them without drastically changing the way my computer runs, still didn't fix the problem, used a different cable, nothing, restarted my computer, nothing.  I have an album that's supposed to be finished in April and I need this to work, because Cubase's guitar interface sucks my white ass and I've been using POD Farm for soloing.  This has only become a problem within the last week.  Fix it.

by goatsru on 2012-05-15 19:56:39

AWESOME!
was having the same problem, switched to another USB port, and BAM. started sounding great! Thankya!

by DanDameron on 2012-07-18 17:39:20

I have download the most recent drives and pod farm, tried usb port, tried shutting off wifi, tried different cables and it's still cutting out.
There should be a recall on this product or you should just send me another one because this is ridiculous.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.