These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

compare tones of external pre-amp in send/return of FX loop or to return of fx loop?
by bearzarpug1 on 2010-04-30 23:35:27

Has anyone compared the tone of using a 1) direct signal to an  external preamp's guitar input returning to the x3 fx return to 2)  plugging into the x3 directly, then sending the fx send to the external  preamp's guitar input returning to the x3 fx return?

How does  sending a line signal from the x3 fx loop to an input of a guitar amp or  pre-amp that is intended for a guitar signal affect tone?  anyway to  compensate for that?

THANKS

Re: compare tones of external pre-amp in send/return of FX loop or to return of fx loop?
by tommasi on 2010-05-03 01:20:05

Hi there.

Some people use the 4 Cable Method for connecting the pod *and* a guitar preamp. However, either the pod modeling *or* the preamp are active in a patch, usually, since stacking preamp is not something people has had a lot of good experiences with.

Concerning the FX loop send levels, the FX loop section on the manual (page 5.17 on my version) explains how to adjust send and return levels.

Re: compare tones of external pre-amp in send/return of FX loop or to return of fx loop?
by logicbdj on 2010-07-16 13:27:48

I have a question concerning this... I bought a Peavey Mini Colossal JSX... it has an effects send/return.  To my understanding, stuff like wah pedals and a whammy pedal should go direct into the amp, whereas the Pod X3 Live and other digital effects (I have a delay and eventide pitch factor unit) go through the amp's send/return for best effect.  Is this what others have found?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.