These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: ToneCore Development Kit

Can't get Tonecore SDK pedal to power up at all: 9v battery, mono cable, & stomped pedal hard, but no LED!
by mfrick on 2010-05-03 13:58:40

Hello,

I have the Tonecore SDK pedal.  I plugged in a 9v battery, a MONO instrument cable to one of the inputs, and have stomped the pedal all the way to the bottom (the snap action switch) and I still do not get the LED to come on nor do I get any EQ effect.  I have read that the 3 conditions to power up are power, mono cable, and module is inserted.  So I also made sure the module is inserted and seated properly.  Obviously I haven't reprogrammed it - I can't get it to come alive at all.

I can't think of anything else to try, other than shipping it back and getting a different one that works... ???  Any other ideas?

RE: Can't get Tonecore SDK pedal to power up at all: 9v battery, mono cable, & stomped pedal hard, but no LED!
by Kneehow on 2010-05-05 10:33:38

Hi,

Please try re-seating the module to the dock; double-check the connection points and ensure they're clean of debris or possible corrosion.

Also, please test the unit without a battery by using a DC-1 power supply or it's equivalent (9.6DVC, 200mA, center pin negative).

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: Can't get Tonecore SDK pedal to power up at all: 9v battery, mono cable, & stomped pedal hard, but no LED!
by mfrick on 2010-05-05 13:14:27

Hello,

I got out the VOM meter and checked the connections.  There is a bad contact between the main board and the intermediate board, between the riser pin and the header socket (!!) which is not something I would have expected.

If I take out both boards and seat them together all the way (so that the pins bottom out in the header socket,) I can only "sort of" get a connection - it needs a little bit of pressure in some way to sit right.  I wonder if one of the contacts inside the header socket fell out.

So far I have not managed to get a connection with the two boards mounted inside the pedal enclosure so I have not been able to try and power it on.

If I can't figure out a good solution I may consider removing the riser and header socket, and replacing them by soldering in a ribbon cable.  Not sure if that would fit tho as it'd need a lot of slack in order to screw in/out the intermediate board.

P.S.  Are all of the intermediate boards hand-soldered?  The header socket was obviously hand soldered as I can see the pool of flux around the pins/pads.

Re: RE: Can't get Tonecore SDK pedal to power up at all: 9v battery, mono cable, & stomped pedal hard, but no LED!
by audioartillery on 2010-05-05 16:25:00

Since you've determined it to be a hardware fault, I would just have Line6 replace it.  Nice debug effort.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.